ATF: North Trail - Styrofoam from AC vent

Albertg

2014 North Trail RV new purchase for me about a week ago. Turned on the air and lots of small what looks like styrofoam pieces came blowing out all the vents. I'm thinking mice but wondering what the material is, roof insulation? Looking for your input.
Thanks
Al

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Albertg and welcome to this great forum.
I'm thinking about the same as you that the foam beads are from roof insulation. And possibly from mice.
You should be able to remove an AC vent to verify.
And..... Click on the Events tab above and check out the two rallies that will be in MI this summer.
Also check out joining the Heartland Owners Club. Click the tab above for more info on that.

Peace
Dave

carl.swoyer

This is a for ever issue. My 2012 landmark still blowing particles especially if you have recently been on the roof
2014 North Trail RV new purchase for me about a week ago. Turned on the air and lots of small what looks like styrofoam pieces came blowing out all the vents. I'm thinking mice but wondering what the material is, roof insulation? Looking for your input.
Thanks
Al

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Albertg

Hello Albertg and welcome to this great forum.
I'm thinking about the same as you that the foam beads are from roof insulation. And possibly from mice.
You should be able to remove an AC vent to verify.
And..... Click on the Events tab above and check out the two rallies that will be in MI this summer.
Also check out joining the Heartland Owners Club. Click the tab above for more info on that.

Peace
Dave

Thanks Dave
I did join the owners club and I saw that there is a rally on Lake Michigan coming up, Linda and I are considering it.
When you say remove the vent are you talking about the round plastic ceiling vents where the foam beads
came from? What will removing the vent cap tell me or what should I be looking for?
Any suggestions on course of action if its determined that I have or have had mice in the ceiling?
Thanks again for the help.
Al

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Removing a vent would only assure that you have foam insulation.
It's important to look for any opening that mice can get into your coach. They can be a pain and can get into very small openings.
And like carl.swoyer my 2011 Bighorn still blows beads of foam on occasion.

Peace
Dave

MCTalley

Pull a vent. Take your smartphone, turn on the camera to video mode, turn the flash to "On" (not auto). Stick the camera end of the phone up in the vent and do a 360. Pull out phone, stop video and review. Should tell you if you have any critters up there.

With that said, like another poster indicated, we still get foam pellets here and there on our 3 year old Big Country. Ours tend to congregate in the light fixtures.

Lou_and_Bette

We are like the Talley’s, these particles are more likely debris left over from the construction process than “critters” in your coach.

MCTalley

Actually, I believe the styrofoam pellets are an upgraded option vs. finding sawdust everywhere every time you open something.

:)