Bumber hitch on a Pioneer BH 175 (2018)

zefo

Hello,
I have the Pioneer BH 175 (2018) and I want to know if I can put a hitch on the bumber to put a rack for 4 bikes.
Thanks.

jerryjay11

Since a couple options for your rig are a pull out bike rack and spare tire carrier which would be mounted on the rear bumper I don't see why not, unless you are referring to motor bikes and not peddle bicycles.

Oregon_Camper

I had a custom hitch made for our Bighorn, that added 2 more receivers. The hitch is bolted and welded to the frame. I then modified our motorcycle rack to match the 2 outside receivers, so now it is VERY stable....no chance of the rack rocking back and forth. While I have the center insert...I have yet to use it. Figured might as well have it, if I ever need it for something. BTW...I have the exact same setup on the front of my truck, for my wife's motorcycle. :cool:

Capture2.jpg 20150810_113755.jpg

zefo

Since a couple options for your rig are a pull out bike rack and spare tire carrier which would be mounted on the rear bumper I don't see why not, unless you are referring to motor bikes and not peddle bicycles.

It's note moto bike it is 4 bicycle.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
If you want to carry four bikes, you may want to call Heartland with your Vin# to see how much your rear bumper is rated to hold.

And ask if your specific trailer is rated for the flip-down bumper rack.

With that many bikes, you would be better off with the flip-down bumper rack...

A regular bike rack mounted on the rear bumper would most likely find the pavement after a few trips!

I kinda' wish I had bought the same model number 5-ver that was parked next to mine that had the rack already installed!

I am now considering adding one...

Coxster

I would not recommend putting a bolt on hitch on bumper. I had one with an rv approved 4 bike rack and 2 of the bolts broke while going down the road with bikes on it. The same day a travel trailer at the camp ground had his entire bumper fall off. I would recommend a frame mount hitch. I installed a front mount hitch on my ram and shortened the bike rack.

zefo

If you want to carry four bikes, you may want to call Heartland with your Vin# to see how much your rear bumper is rated to hold.

And ask if your specific trailer is rated for the flip-down bumper rack.

With that many bikes, you would be better off with the flip-down bumper rack...

A regular bike rack mounted on the rear bumper would most likely find the pavement after a few trips!

I kinda' wish I had bought the same model number 5-ver that was parked next to mine that had the rack already installed!

I am now considering adding one...

Thanks but they cost a lot!

- - - Updated - - -

I would not recommend putting a bolt on hitch on bumper. I had one with an rv approved 4 bike rack and 2 of the bolts broke while going down the road with bikes on it. The same day a travel trailer at the camp ground had his entire bumper fall off. I would recommend a frame mount hitch. I installed a front mount hitch on my ram and shortened the bike rack.

Yes but the spare already weighs lours and is already on the bumper. Why not bicycles?

sengli

I wouldnt do it. Most of those bumpers are merely a place to store your sewage hose. They are not made of anything really structurally strong. Usually rated for 150 or less pounds. By the time you add the hitch, and the bike rack...plus the added bouncing that usually happens when a rig is going down the road you most likely will have the bumper fall off. Also every bike rack I have ever owned, will state in the small print the warranty is void, if attached to the back of an RV.

Re: Bumper Hitch Receivers?

Would like to see photos for aftermarket or custom-fabricated hitch receivers that people have attached to the rear underframe of their Heartland trailers to haul bicycles. On previous models I've used a bolt-on style hitch receiver for 2 bikes and a carrier (80+/- lbs.) with a tie down to a rear ladder to prevent rocking that leads to rear bumper weld failure but would like to see something more robust. My Pioneer 287 doesn't have a rear ladder so no attachment point for a tie down strap.

Last edited: