North Trail 33 RETS VS GD Reflection 315

Sniper338

North Trail 33 RETS

Its a brand new design... not even info online about it yet... no brochures, not even on websites... We are looking at buying on next week when our dealer gets it in... caliber upgrade..

We are looking at this coach, and looking at the Grand Design Reflection 315RTLS?...

From everything I research... Most people tend to have pretty good reviews on the north trail rv's... Yet I tend to see lots of negative reviews in Grand design rvs/reflections...

Without being bias... Is this a fairly accurate statement?

I know all rvs can have and will eventually have issues... however seems like Grand design has a whole lot more issues. A good RV should go several years without problems and just minor things... been there done it.. I owned a 2010 42ft cyclone toy hauler once... never had major issues and lived in it 2 years.

The reflection seems to have a "winter package" claiming better insulated, dual pane windows, lots of perks for weather... However I understand the north trail is also fairly well insulated with the foam insulation...

How do yall rate the north trails in 0-30 degree weather? being 0-15 degrees one or two days a year, a month or two of 15-40 degrees... and the rest of the year warmer than 40 up to 115 degrees...?

REALLY TRYING TO FIND KNOWLEDGE OF THESE TWO RVS TO MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE....

LEANING MORE ON THE NORTH TRAIL BECAUSE OF READING REVIEWS ON THEM BOTH..

They both have the same floor plans... its build quality thats the difference...

Reflections suppose to be an all seasons rating... has wood roof, laminate wrapped aluminum floors and sides... whatever that means... duel pane windows.. heated tanks and underbelly.

North Trail I cant find a tempature rating... Rubber roof, ALL aluminum framing, floors sides roof and all... not duel pane windows i dont think.. heated underbelly.

Its hard for me to compare them both.. Im not sure whats important and whats really not.... looking for people with experiance and knowledge!!!!

Heartland North Trail VS Grand Design Reflection

danemayer

Hi Sniper,

I've done a lot of cold weather camping and I can tell you that there are two different challenges. One is keeping the living area comfortable and the other is keeping the water systems functioning normally. The water system is the harder problem.

Manufacturers may describe a trailer as 4 season and they may make temperature statements, but those are usually about keeping the interior comfortable; not about keeping the water running.

I'd suggest you take a look at our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide to better understand what you may need to do.

Sniper338

Hi Sniper,

I've done a lot of cold weather camping and I can tell you that there are two different challenges. One is keeping the living area comfortable and the other is keeping the water systems functioning normally. The water system is the harder problem.

Manufacturers may describe a trailer as 4 season and they may make temperature statements, but those are usually about keeping the interior comfortable; not about keeping the water running.

I'd suggest you take a look at our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide to better understand what you may need to do.

read. I understand all that. So basically the heck with manufacturer claims... I know if a manufacturer puts two pieces of "R7" radient barrier foil together it gets sold as "R14".... Which is horse hockey to begin with as foil paper isnt an insulation any at all.. And RVs DO GET MARKETED LIKE THIS!!!!

Just trying to find anyone with knowledge of these two makers..

cjb2283

I have a NT 28DBSS Caliber Edition 2018 and had it down to 10* overnight no problems. Living area heat was perfect, ran often but at least not constantly. Water never froze but was very cold. I was sold on the 2 inch side walls. As far as long periods 0-15*, if it doesn't warm up during the day you will definitely have to do some modification...to most trailers you would have to, I would think. That's what I got for my experience with NT...let me know if you want more.

Sniper338

I have a NT 28DBSS Caliber Edition 2018 and had it down to 10* overnight no problems. Living area heat was perfect, ran often but at least not constantly. Water never froze but was very cold. I was sold on the 2 inch side walls. As far as long periods 0-15*, if it doesn't warm up during the day you will definitely have to do some modification...to most trailers you would have to, I would think. That's what I got for my experience with NT...let me know if you want more.

oh ya.. totally understand. Ita get down cold at night below freezing then warm back up... it never stays that cold for long periods of time... good to know a NT did fine like that... We will have a baby with us so we cant have issues..

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
For long term cold conditions you may need to add tank and possibly line(pipe) heaters. But other wise I usually camp for several days at a time in the spring and fall when temps are in the 15-32 range with my NT.

all my waterlines are above the floor so freezing the lines is not likely. However, the water tanks and line to the pump could potentially freeze since they are only heated by the furnace and usually not to room temperature.

Sniper338

For long term cold conditions you may need to add tank and possibly line(pipe) heaters. But other wise I usually camp for several days at a time in the spring and fall when temps are in the 15-32 range with my NT.

great to hear. We wont live in long term cold... it gets cold for a few days, dips below freezing at night only, then warms up until another cold front comes though...

North Trail 33 RETS

Its a brand new design... not even info online about it yet... no brochures, not even on websites... We are looking at buying on next week when our dealer gets it in... caliber upgrade..

We are looking at this coach, and looking at the Grand Design Reflection 315RTLS?...

From everything I research... Most people tend to have pretty good reviews on the north trail rv's... Yet I tend to see lots of negative reviews in Grand design rvs/reflections...

Without being bias... Is this a fairly accurate statement?

I know all rvs can have and will eventually have issues... however seems like Grand design has a whole lot more issues. A good RV should go several years without problems and just minor things... been there done it.. I owned a 2010 42ft cyclone toy hauler once... never had major issues and lived in it 2 years.

The reflection seems to have a "winter package" claiming better insulated, dual pane windows, lots of perks for weather... However I understand the north trail is also fairly well insulated with the foam insulation...

How do yall rate the north trails in 0-30 degree weather? being 0-15 degrees one or two days a year, a month or two of 15-40 degrees... and the rest of the year warmer than 40 up to 115 degrees...?

REALLY TRYING TO FIND KNOWLEDGE OF THESE TWO RVS TO MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE....

LEANING MORE ON THE NORTH TRAIL BECAUSE OF READING REVIEWS ON THEM BOTH..

They both have the same floor plans... its build quality thats the difference...

Reflections suppose to be an all seasons rating... has wood roof, laminate wrapped aluminum floors and sides... whatever that means... duel pane windows.. heated tanks and underbelly.

North Trail I cant find a tempature rating... Rubber roof, ALL aluminum framing, floors sides roof and all... not duel pane windows i dont think.. heated underbelly.

Its hard for me to compare them both.. Im not sure whats important and whats really not.... looking for people with experiance and knowledge!!!!

Heartland North Trail VS Grand Design Reflection

I am on the process of getting in contact contact with a northtrail rep. As soon as I get info I’ll post it on here I myself am about to get a 33rets I believe