Furniture Peeling

wwbpi53

Has anyone had their recliner and couch start feeling the covering of the furniture. We have a 2014 Heartland Gatway.

rblack222

My 2012 Cyclone 4014’s big sofa is completely denuded. Been covering it with a throw the last couple years, taking my time deciding on a suitable replacement. So yes, it’s quite common unfortunately. I’d be really ticked if the sofa was comfy in the first place, but have always wanted a better piece of furniture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sengli

Yes, we ended up giving our RV furniture way for free. Went out and bought regular house quality furniture to replace it with. We replaced both our chairs with a nice theatre seating unit, and the couch.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Our 2010 Elkridge had a recliner do that. Maybe it's related to the temperature swings the furniture goes through inside an rv... not being in a controlled environment like a house. Just a thought, I don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terrip72

Yup! We haven't had ours 6 months. Warranty isn't wanting to cover it, the fridge that won't cool, the shower with a star in the back wall...pretty much anything. We bought a Big Country for the quality, but now we are regretting it!

Yes, we ended up giving our RV furniture way for free. Went out and bought regular house quality furniture to replace it with. We replaced both our chairs with a nice theatre seating unit, and the couch.

Has anyone had their recliner and couch start feeling the covering of the furniture. We have a 2014 Heartland Gatway.
I have a 2014 gateway the chairs and sofa are peeling They look and feel awful. Heartland told me to bad they will not help at all

The unit has been used maybe 10 times. I'm very ******. Did you have trouble getting new furniture into your RV? Any problems with attaching the slider rollers?

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Heartland told me to bad they will not help at all

Dolphindiver,

If you have a 2014 trailer, I'm guessing the trailer warranty expired quite a while ago. Have you contacted the furniture manufacturer? Maybe they warrant their furniture for a longer period than the trailer.

Dolphindiver,

If you have a 2014 trailer, I'm guessing the trailer warranty expired quite a while ago. Have you contacted the furniture manufacturer? Maybe they warrant their furniture for a longer period than the trailer.
Yes the warranty is out. I contacted Heartland and they told me i
to bad they can't help. I am going to contact lippert

Dolphindiver,

We do not get many chances to use the camper so I don't want to spend a lot of money on the furniture replacement. The current sofa has slideout rollers attached to it and I'm not sure how to attach them back onto the new furniture either

Grey Ghost

Yup, had the same thing happen to our two recliners! Have had the arms re-done now for the back and the seats. Very thin fake leather was used. I'm sure they searched and searched for the cheapest, thinnest fake leather they could find! Gotta love camping to put up with all the cheap stuff they put in these units, however the cost continues to rise, go figure! However, we live in Arizona and I suppose the HEAT might have had something to do with it. It eats everything up, paint, rubber, caulking, leather, cloth and of course human flesh!! Oh well, now I feel better:cool: Thanks for letting me vent a bit:)

donr827

When I ordered a Hitchiker 5th wheel many years ago you could delete the furniture from the order and then go out and purchased the furniture you really wanted.
Don

sengli

When we ordered our big horn, thought there was an option to delete furniture. But it was like a $200 credit. Just wasnt worth it. At the time we didnt think we would have an issue with the included furniture.

rblack222

When I ordered a Hitchiker 5th wheel many years ago you could delete the furniture from the order and then go out and purchased the furniture you really wanted.
Don

That would be the customer friendly thing to offer, but obviously they decided they could make more money overcharging for the crappy "RV Furniture" that is actually a much lower quality than typical household furniture :mad:

Hogladyrider

We had a similar issue with our recliners in our Big Horn. At first I thought it was a chemical reaction from hair spray or something else on our bodies and the fabric and after researching on the forum we discovered the real issue.

There is a thread on the Forum somehwere where it is detailed and described that the fabric used by the mfg was a "bonded" fabric and that was what caused the peeling. Heartland stopped using this mfg and the mfg also stopped using this fabric.

We are fulltimers and we replaced our very uncomfortable 5 cushion couch in our Cyclone with two power recliners from Best Home Furnishings.

We went to Lambright's and looked and thanks to the forum we found Best Home Furnishings. We found a local dealer were we could order the fabric we wanted. We have been VERY happy with our recliners.

As I am short 5'2" I needed to order a petite size recliner and not all mfgs offer this, but Best Home Furnishings has a great selection and a great web site.

Best thing you can do with the peeling furniture is donate it and replace it.

Susan

2TrakR

I was just going to start a thread on this. Ours has been peeling for a while.

As a tidbit: Our Cyclone came with a free-standing swivel rocker with foot stool. We put that in our house (in the finished basement) right away. Kids use it for a gaming chair. It peeled first, so it's not the camping environment that does it in.

Our dinette is starting to peel, the upper/back cushions. The lower are cloth (traditional camper material I think); there are also storage drawers in the lower as part of the assembly. It's a U shape and has a filler panel for the U-gap to convert it to a bed; plus the removable table sets in on it. I think the design is functional on this rig.

Anyone found a replacement online ordering spot? Have not checked with Heartland. I presume my best bet is to remove the uppers and take them to an upholstery shop. I've already had it removed to replace the slide out floor, so am familiar with how it disassembles.

rblack222

As y'all are aware, the trim and such throughout the camper, is covered with the same material, this also peels and flakes. Can anyone say how these trim strips are attached, and how are they removed so they can be recovered or replaced with something completely different? :confused: