ATF: North Trail - Travel with Frig on

Albertg

Getting ready for a trip and wanted to make sure its okay to run with my refrigerator on. If I shut off the propane will it switch to 12 volt?

danemayer

Most of the gas absorption refrigerators have 2 modes: 120V AC, and 12V DC with propane. If you are towing and have the propane turned off, the 12V DC to the refrigerator will allow it to make several ignition attempts. But without propane, it will never ignite the burner and will shut down.

There is such a thing as a 3 mode refrigerator where it will run off 12V DC only, but you probably don't have that.

Albertg

Most of the gas absorption refrigerators have 2 modes: 120V AC, and 12V DC with propane. If you are towing and have the propane turned off, the 12V DC to the refrigerator will allow it to make several ignition attempts. But without propane, it will never ignite the burner and will shut down.

There is such a thing as a 3 mode refrigerator where it will run off 12V DC only, but you probably don't have that.

So can I run with propane on?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Many people do, many people don't.
Some fear that pulling in to fill up the truck with gasoline will present a danger with an open flame. Good point.
I personally do travel with the propane on.
There are times when you will be required to turn off the propane, such as getting on a ferry or going through some tunnels.

Peace
Dave

LBR

We have RVed since mid 1980s...started in a 1985 33' Pace Arrow MH with the 3-way frig, so I always shut off the propane detector (which closed the flow solenoid).

To this day, never have traveled with propane on, nor ever will. Should a leak develop and then a spark.....

We just drove by a propane leak here in town yesterday afternoon that was at a local gas station....scary to think if that propane could have "found" a still burning, cast away cigarette butt on the ground from a careless smoker!!
9e752dac59cf5f72dde4a8d0ed2ff79f.jpg

danemayer

You can. But it's a question of risk. Modern propane tanks have overflow protection devices that are intended to reduce risk if a propane line is ruptured, in an accident for example. But there are probably some situations where there could still be significant fire risk from a smaller leak where the overflow protection doesn't activate.

And when you pull into a gas station to refuel, there's a higher level of risk. The refrigerator could choose that moment to light the burner. If gasoline is being pumped by another driver on the other side of the island, or gas has been spilled nearby, the vapor could be ignited by the open flame.

Mac McCoy (aka Mac the Fire Guy) has made a career out of RV fire safety and strongly advises against towing with propane turned on, because of fire risk.

All that said, many people do tow with propane turned on so their refrigerator runs. Many don't.

Your decision.

Oldelevatorman

We always travel with propane off, too risky otherwise. Don't have an RV fridge anymore though TG! The fridge will stay cold for several hours if you don't open it. Have a small cooler in the truck for drinks etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

I choose to tow with the propane ON for the ammonia evaporative refrigerator. I do NOT refuel with the trailer in tow routinely. I can go about 450 miles towing on a tank of fuel, that is about 8 hours driving at 55 mph, and that is driving far enough for 1 day. I try to plan things so that I refuel before or after travelling when unhitched from the trailer. This also makes for a much easier maneuvering experience in the refueling station. I also have a diesel truck, so that those kerosene vapors from fueling are many times less volatile than gasoline fumes. Last of all, most of my travels are in California, and California has vacuuming devices on the gasoline pumps in most areas to reduce smog, so the gasoline vapors are not present in the air.

I also invested in a $270 self-deploying halon fire extinguisher mounted in the exterior refrigerator compartment. You can still buy these through Mac the Fire Guy and RVCoolingUnit.com .