Big Country burning up

VERNON

I have a 2013 Big Country Gold Edition,three weeks ago I was at a campground and believe I got a power surge, my converter and 2 TVs went out. I had the converter replaced an it went out about a week later. Went a had it replaced took it home and bought a surge protector and plugged it in ran it for3days with no problem. Went to campground and hooked up ran for about 4 hours went shopping came back and could smell converter again burnt out. This has happened 3 times Ido believe the first time was a power surge. But the last 2 I can not figure not. Plugged into different places every time this has happened. I believe the problem is in the camper somewhere. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Hi Vernon,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

You may have a problem with the neutral wiring in the trailer. When there's a partial loss of neutral, voltage on one or the other power legs in the trailer can shoot up to over 200V.

Start with the shore power cord and make sure there's no evidence of damage or discoloration. Next check where the cord attaches to the trailer. Check the backside connections and make sure they're tight, not damaged or discolored. The next area to check would be the connections on the backside of the main circuit breaker panel in the trailer. Same things to check.

If you have generator prep, you also have an automatic transfer switch. You'll also need to check inside.

All of these checks should be done with power disconnected.

Our owner-written Electrical User Guide has drawings and pictures that may be helpful to you.