Fifth Wheel pin placement! Over axle or in front of???

Essy

I have recently upgraded from a 2013 Ram 2500 to a 2018 Ram 3500 DRW Diesel. The new truck was ordered with the trailer towing package and auto level rear air suspension. I've installed the new B&W Companion base that uses the factory puck system using the upper section from the previous Companion mount.
My question is where is the correct pin placement? Directly over the rear axle or in front of the axle!

Thanks for the help!

kf5qby

I had always heard you want to pin slightly forward of the rear axle. This transfers some of the pin weight to the front of the truck and helps with stability since the pin would be between the two axles.

Directly over the axle and you are no longer transferring any weight to the front. This may or may not be a bad thing depending on your axle load capacity.

Definitely do not want it behind the axle. This will unload weight from the front and could cause sway issues.

SNOKING

With the new modern diesel trucks the placement of the hitch does not make much difference. 0-2" forward is fine. The difference between 0 and 2" might make a slight change to the front axle, however nothing to write home about. Front axle already weighs over 5K!!!!! Is 20-100 lbs going to change handling, NO!

Run 80 lbs inflation in the front all the time, and no more that 65 in the rears with the trailer. 35 in the rear when not towing will improve ride quality. Don't know if you are the same person I replied to earlier. RAM sets toe in on duallies to 1/4" and that cause outside edge of front tires to wear. 1/64-1/32 toe in works better according to my friend that is on his second 4th gen dually.

Chris

NYSUPstater

Over or just ahead of axle. We also have a B&W but Patriot version. With this hitch/base, you can turn it around so the hitch point is moved rearward by couple of inches. Like what AP said, it really didn't change the front axle weight a whole lot. Rear axle yes, but not so much on front....weird. Didn't notice any diff in handling, but gained more room between bumper and basement. Now w/ the long wheel base, have no clue what to expect. Find out soon.

TexasTraveler2017

Since this is the factory puck system, wouldn’t the weight basically be the same in either position? It will all transfer down to the base which is in a fixed position. My understanding was the option of how to position was to allow a little more space between the front cap and back of the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNOKING

Since this is the factory puck system, wouldn’t the weight basically be the same in either position? It will all transfer down to the base which is in a fixed position. My understanding was the option of how to position was to allow a little more space between the front cap and back of the truck.

You failed physics in HS? :eek: Chris

TexasTraveler2017

You failed physics in HS? :eek: Chris

Ha! Nope...I was going off of only knowing how the Ford companion works where the arms attach to the same mounting holes regardless of the direction. So the weight of the pin is transferred down to the same spots on the base in either position. I didn’t realize the Ram version had twice as many mounting options and could go forward or backward on the base.

a0d2e5fa1e0d9962dc3736489399c508.jpg

Bones

With the new modern diesel trucks the placement of the hitch does not make much difference. 0-2" forward is fine. The difference between 0 and 2" might make a slight change to the front axle, however nothing to write home about. Front axle already weighs over 5K!!!!! Is 20-100 lbs going to change handling, NO!

Run 80 lbs inflation in the front all the time, and no more that 65 in the rears with the trailer. 35 in the rear when not towing will improve ride quality. Don't know if you are the same person I replied to earlier. RAM sets toe in on duallies to 1/4" and that cause outside edge of front tires to wear. 1/64-1/32 toe in works better according to my friend that is on his second 4th gen dually.

Chris

Nope that was me.