Which GPS Is Best Suited For an RV'er

orion7144

Alan was it having you get off the highway and then right back on.?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Mine has not done that. However when I used to live in the DFW area google maps frequently did that when there was newer roads it was unaware of.

Alan_B

No, it did not do that.

We only had one instance where we ignored the GPS. After we crossed from Canada into Michigan on the Blue Water Bridge, the Garmin GPS tried to route us onto Business Route I-94 rather than I-94 itself. It is a bit confusing since there are multiple routes leading off the bridge. Since I am familiar with the route it did not result in any problem for me.

david-steph2018

We have the GArmin 770 and just returned from a trip that went Oh-IND-Ky-TENN-AL-Fl-Ga-Ky- Oh in 3 weeks. Only issue was finding the campground it was easier putting in the address instead of searching the area around a city.

CoveredWagon

Sometimes it will do that if it thinks an overpass is below your set limit. It does not always tell you that. I just recently loaded the latest update for my LMT RV 660 and it did give us some advanced warning at certain times. I was really bent out of shape with it on I 75 returning to MI from Dayton OH when it tried to send me toward Columbus OH. Sometimes ya just have to make your own decisions.

mlpeloquin

Had been using a GoodSam GPS which is a repackaged Rand McNally. During our cross country trip, it started to just turn off on its own. It wasn't the power, and I had three different power connectors so it wasn't the cable. Just turned off by itself. Then it started to reboot and turn off when I tried to turn it on etc.. So I purchased a Garmin RV 770. Boy what a great screen, but the first four times I used it it sent us to the wrong address, city, directions. Turns out if you put the zip code in, it does not have a problem getting you to where you need to go. It is frustrating not knowing about the zip code and my very old Garmin never need the zip code to find the address. I have not tried to load the Rout-1-USA data yet.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have the Rand McNally RVND 7 GPS/Tablet (android).

I really like the larger screen and love the fact that I can connect it to the hotspot on my phone or my Verizon Jetpack and get weather and traffic updates...and can check my email!

As with any GPS device, every once in awhile it gives the wrong location, but I am happy with it for the most part.

As a tablet, it is OK...very slow, but better than nothing!

It also has a built-in dash cam...haven't used it yet but will soon!

jstarwal

I have the Rand McNally RVND 7 GPS/Tablet (android).

I really like the larger screen and love the fact that I can connect it to the hotspot on my phone or my Verizon Jetpack and get weather and traffic updates...and can check my email!

As with any GPS device, every once in awhile it gives the wrong location, but I am happy with it for the most part.

As a tablet, it is OK...very slow, but better than nothing!

It also has a built-in dash cam...haven't used it yet but will soon!

Hey JohnD, how did yuo mount it? I am thinking of getting one. I have a Chevy PU.

TIA,
Jack

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
What mount did you get. Or did it come with one? Does it block your View?

I'm using the mount that came with it...

It does block the view some...but not bad.

I'll go out and get a photo in a few minutes.

billg

new to the forum, I just purchased a larger RV from a pop up and was wondering about what GPS might be best to help with overpasses, and tunnels and such. Any ideas?

NP_Chief

We use a Magellan Roadmate RV9490. For the price, you can't beat it. I think I paid around $100 for it online and it does just as good as the $300+ units.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
For those using the Garmin 770 LMT, do you use the suction cup mount or the non-skip assembly. My current NUVI 3597 with a magnetic mount is too heavy and I have to use the non-skid system but it isn't that great as it does skid. Thanks Doug

I recently purchased a Garmin RV 785 with dash cam and works fantastic, with big screen and alerts, and maps for low bridges on routes

We use a Magellan Roadmate RV9490. For the price, you can't beat it. I think I paid around $100 for it online and it does just as good as the $300+ units.
I have the same unit. Good for the most part. It does not like recalculate for a shorter route though.

Dmetcalf

I recently purchased a Garmin RV 785 with dash cam and works fantastic, with big screen and alerts, and maps for low bridges on routes

this is great because I am currently looking for a good RV GPS unit as well .! Our RV is 13”3’ tall so I think it would be cheap insurance to get one of these.