Braided water line

_OZ_

Been full timing for 1.5 years now. The water line to the residential fridge has burst 3x. I refuse to waste my time and further damage to the RV by fixing it again.
I don't understand why such an inferior tube was used in and RV. I have a SS Braided water line in my house and think that SS braid should be standard for RVs.

Greengas

Been full timing for 1.5 years now. The water line to the residential fridge has burst 3x. I refuse to waste my time and further damage to the RV by fixing it again.
I don't understand why such an inferior tube was used in and RV. I have a SS Braided water line in my house and think that SS braid should be standard for RVs.

I had the same concern when they installed my residential fridge. So, I will be replacing the line with a braided one. My concern is, the line that goes into the fridge is still very small (my fridge is a Samsung and the line is blue), I don't know if it can be replaced leaving me with the option of just running the braided line to that point. I might have to move the fridge out and see what it looks like in the back. If the blue line is replaceable, then so be it! I will also install a low point drain in the line, somewhere, so that when it is time to winterize, all I have to do is open that drain and the water line will drain from both sides. At least that's my plan.

danemayer

I had the same concern when they installed my residential fridge. So, I will be replacing the line with a braided one. My concern is, the line that goes into the fridge is still very small (my fridge is a Samsung and the line is blue), I don't know if it can be replaced leaving me with the option of just running the braided line to that point. I might have to move the fridge out and see what it looks like in the back. If the blue line is replaceable, then so be it! I will also install a low point drain in the line, somewhere, so that when it is time to winterize, all I have to do is open that drain and the water line will drain from both sides. At least that's my plan.
Ronn,

When Heartland introduced Residential Refrigerators, they put in a drain under the slide - theory being that would make it easy to winterize the refrigerator and the water feed line. Maybe it'll work for you. Didn't work on the early build I checked.

_OZ_

Mine did not burst from freezing. 2 happened in the Island and the other under the island, in the belly.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Maybe the easiest answer is to buy a free standing tabletop icemaker like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-Portable-Countertop-Ice-Maker-ICE102-Red/31136425

Those portable ice makers do work but the smaller ones that make two cube sizes the ice melts extremely fast.
The larger portable ice maker that makes three sized cubes are more expensive but work better as the ice does not melt nearly as fast. However, the large cubes do take longer to freeze.

I work around the meltingissue by refreezing the freshly made cubes in the regular freezer which makes the cube last a bit longer.

The larger size is something like this one.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Newair-50lb-Stainless-Steel-Portable-Ice-Maker/22939801

Last edited: