Hand Rails

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We had a 2011 Landmark Grand Canyon. It had a slide with doors in front of shelves on one side and a curved bathroom wall on the other side and no hand rail. Hated that!

Buckeye

Hello, I now this is a long shot but did anybody come up with a modification to install hand rails on the stairs going up to the bedroom. Three stairs with no hand railing can be a challenge for an old gomer like me. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

centerline

to retro fit a hand rail in that area, i think the best solution is to have a board cut, shaped and nicely finished that will fit where you want the handrail, so that you can hit all the studs, and be long enough to get at least 3 studs (in our trailer, 3 strud is all there is on the wall where the hand rail is, the stud at the bathroom door framing, the stud at the corner of the entry/hallway walls, and a center stud...

once this board has been fitted firmly, it can be removed if required to install the hand rail firmly to it, and then reinstalled.... or with the decorative but structural reinforcement board in place, just screw the handrail to it as per the instructions...

in your trailer, the studs may be spaced differently, but another option is to find the studs, then measure the center to center distance between them, and lightly mark the location of the stud from from knee high to chest high, using pencil or tape.... and then, as the hand rail will be on a slant to match the angle of the stairs, it may be possible to find a handrail about the distance needed to be able to attach to the studs on an angle, of which an inch or so one way or the other can be adjusted to fit by changing the angle of the handrail slightly.... this may be a quicker install, but the handrail will only be as strong as the weakest wall stud....

edf1951

We had a 2011 Landmark Grand Canyon. It had a slide with doors in front of shelves on one side and a curved bathroom wall on the other side and no hand rail. Hated that!
[h=1]CSI Bathware BAR-SB24-TW-125-MB Straight Grab Bar, 24", Matte Black[/h]

Oldelevatorman

We added a second handrail to our ‘17 LM Newport that I believe we ordered on Amazon. I added it on the cabinet opposite the existing one on the half bath wall. My wife had a broken leg and then a knee replacement and needed help getting up and down the stairs to the bedroom. I could take a picture of it if the guy next to me in storage has moved. I can’t get my stairs down because he’s too close by a few inches. If he’s gone I’ll get a pic for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dmetcalf

512F93C9-2998-4F7A-AD49-CFA0B629F63A.jpg
Here is what I did because I feel the same. This is probably a more heavy duty one than what the factory would do I’m sure. I found two wall studs to secure it to so it’s very sturdy.

Buckeye

Thanks again. I always know that I can get suggestions on the members of this forum. Right now there is no handrail so it can be hazardous with three steps. Thanks and stay safe.