2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 LTZ question

Hello out there,
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 LTZ w/air bags & 16K Reese 5th wheel :
I am wondering how many out there are using 3/4 ton single rear wheel tow vehicles for this size coach. I tow a 2011 Road Warrior RW305 and have one HD Road King in the rear and usually keep the fresh water low but think I am close to the limit of this truck by all listed data on this Chevy. It tows well with the air bags I installed. It did not do so well without. But I sometimes think I should be using a 1 ton with dual rear wheels for this much trailer. The RW305 is about 12K empty. I have been using this setup for 5 years now without a problem.
Thank you
Leigh

CDN

B and B
Hello,

The truck likely is overloaded with dry weight and no toys. I would weight everything and compare your pin weight against the cargo capacity. The hitch weight on the specs is 2490 lbs . Air bags do not add cargo capacity just load leveling.

kowAlski631

Before we bought our truck or trailer, my husband had long conversations with engineers at the factory (didn't hurt that he's a physicist). They told us - and the specs verified - the load we could pull without issue. We could have been at the outside limits when we were full-time, but we haven't had an issue. Our advice is to get your specific tow specs (you can find them online) and weigh your trailer with everything you tow (even once in a blue moon) so you know for sure. We're happy with our set up and have been for almost 6 years now.

Before we bought our truck or trailer, my husband had long conversations with engineers at the factory (didn't hurt that he's a physicist). They told us - and the specs verified - the load we could pull without issue. We could have been at the outside limits when we were full-time, but we haven't had an issue. Our advice is to get your specific tow specs (you can find them online) and weigh your trailer with everything you tow (even once in a blue moon) so you know for sure. We're happy with our set up and have been for almost 6 years now.

Thank you for all the responses. It is comforting to see all the miles kowAlski631 has put on a similar setup. The pin weight is about 200 lbs less though on the Bighorn than the RW305. I am aware the load leveling is the only affect of the air bags and does not actually increase load capacity. Thank you for the link! I may try to upgrade to a 1 ton if I can without too much pain. I bought the 2011 Z71 4x4 2500 LTZ Duamax extended cab new and only it has about 31K . I may try to sell it outright at some point. I would trade an extended cab 2 wheel drive 1 ton diesel setup.
thanks again!

schew

I think most 3/4 trucks are underated and limited to 10k gvwr. For example, the F250 power stroke and the F350 are identical in every aspect aside from having an extra leaf spring. One has a rating of 10k, the other 11k. This is simply a marketing tactic as once you surpass the 10k gvwr, you are required to have a commercial driver's license, which costs the consumer more money, along with having to deal with all the regulations that come with having a commercial license.
Having said that, I'm sure your truck can handle the weight, as well as stop it. I went the other route, even though my F250 could more than likely handle the weight of a fifth wheel, I would be exceeding my gvrw of 10k lbs.

If I were to get into an accident and it was found that I am in fact over my gvrw, I would probably have my *** handed to me by the insurance company's and possibly another party. I really wanted a 5th wheel, but I have a peace of mind knowing that I am towing within my LEGAL limits...
jmho!