Sewer gas smell

bwdt

I found the problem

These issues continue on this unit and this is a warning for others to check.........

Had a water leak in the basement that was repaired at the dealer when I picked up the camper. The water heater bypass valve was leaking on the back side where the lines connect and was supposedly repaired, it started leaking again and flooded the basement, so this is what I thought was causing the odor in the camper. While I was looking for the leak, I decided to take a look at the drains and the black tank and this is what I found. The pipe from the toilet was not connected to the waist tank but merely stuck in the top with a half inch gap all the way around.......It was also to deep in the tank that if you ever wanted to clean the tank, forget it. If you ever overflowed it, it would flood the basement with raw sewage, another not good.

See pic.
https://imgur.com/a/26iHfTB

I will be calling Heartland in the morning, probably talking with the president as I find this way past normal......It's not likely but you could make someone sick, and even kill them from Hydrogen sulfide gas. If it were to collect in high enough concentrations its not good.

Attachments

• 20180603_130925.jpg
    20180603_130925.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 106

Gary521

This is unacceptable. Perfect example of the shoddy workmanship provided by the compensation system used in the RV industry.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Hopefully they can use your VIN to determine who worked on the plumbing for your rig and reassign them to the unemployment line.

John T Bettencourt

This is unacceptable. Perfect example of the shoddy workmanship provided by the compensation system used in the RV industry.
From what I have been reading and talking to Heartland owners Heartland has no quality control what so ever. So sad with the money being spent by campers.

Go-Fly

I bet you get the " you need to check your connection every 90 day". After the first 90 days you are on your own regardless of workmen ship or defect.

The same exact thing happened to us! Although we had the smell and kept checking everything, then our toilet got stuck, with sewage, after cleaning everything out, we found the pipe from the toilet not fitted to the drain as well. Heartland did repair at a La Mesa while we were traveling, however they did not clean the belly very well, we had to remove the cover on the bottom of the rig when we reached our destination, actually scrubbed it really well with bleach and it took about a year for the rig to smell normal again! Awful experience, and we were quite shocked! Good news is, we had to clean EVERYTHING under the RV , above the black tank, below, around the water heater and water pump, etc, and really got to know it on a personal level. However, that being said, we do love our Bighorn Traveler, we lived in it full time for 2.5 years and every else works like a charm.

Wulffpack

I found the problem

These issues continue on this unit and this is a warning for others to check.........

Had a water leak in the basement that was repaired at the dealer when I picked up the camper. The water heater bypass valve was leaking on the back side where the lines connect and was supposedly repaired, it started leaking again and flooded the basement, so this is what I thought was causing the odor in the camper. While I was looking for the leak, I decided to take a look at the drains and the black tank and this is what I found. The pipe from the toilet was not connected to the waist tank but merely stuck in the top with a half inch gap all the way around.......It was also to deep in the tank that if you ever wanted to clean the tank, forget it. If you ever overflowed it, it would flood the basement with raw sewage, another not good.

See pic.

I will be calling Heartland in the morning, probably talking with the president as I find this way past normal......It's not likely but you could make someone sick, and even kill them from Hydrogen sulfide gas. If it were to collect in high enough concentrations its not good.
2020 Bighorn 3300DL. My piping from the toilet to the black water tank was only dry fitted. Had no ABS adhesive in joints. Of course leaked all over on first trip out. I now think there were other joints in the walls also without adhesive that have since come apart. Everytime we flush the toilet sewer smell floods out of the pocket door cavity which also has vent pipe to roof.

But it also could be......Heartland also has been known to have open top vent lines in the wall. This guy has a video... You tube video zBhTdMdqLuk (paste into youtube). This forum does not allow a direct link? Anyway, I am running a scope in my wall shortly.

I have a similar issues with sewage smell when I flush my tank using the dual flush valve. I also get a backup in my kitchen sink and main toilet at the same time when the black tank is full. Oddly shows on my display that its the gray tank #2.