MY RV One Control

genep777

Hi All,

I am in the process of purchasing a 2019 Oshkosh and noticed that the Lippert One Control pad is located on the inside of the coach above the control panel. Could someone explain to me why this device is located on the interior of the coach when it is the device that allows you to manually level the fifth wheel? Wouldn't it be better to have it located on the exterior where you could see what you are doing?
It is my understanding that there is a small device located in the basement that would let you auto level, but not manually level. Not sure I understand why manually leveling can be done inside? Thanks for your explanations.

Gene Peters

danemayer

Hi Gene,

I don't think there's any good explanation.

Lippert has replaced their former OEM kit of parts with what you see, giving manufacturers no choice over what they get.

So now there's an auto-level panel in the basement, and a full-function touchpad inside. Arguably, to manually level, you would want to be outside. I think it's safe to say that this arrangement makes no sense to anyone on this forum. And I would guess it's probably the same on every other coach from every other manufacturer. So Lippert is probably getting a lot of negative feedback.

We can only hope that Lippert comes to their senses soon.

genep777

Hi Gene,

I don't think there's any good explanation.

Lippert has replaced their former OEM kit of parts with what you see, giving manufacturers no choice over what they get.

So now there's an auto-level panel in the basement, and a full-function touchpad inside. Arguably, to manually level, you would want to be outside. I think it's safe to say that this arrangement makes no sense to anyone on this forum. And I would guess it's probably the same on every other coach from every other manufacturer. So Lippert is probably getting a lot of negative feedback.

We can only hope that Lippert comes to their senses soon.

Thanks Dan, I thought I must be missing something.
I also seem to recall seeing a 2018 Road Warrior with auto level panel on the front exterior, next to the generator storage area and the touchpad in the basement where the Oshkosh's panel is located. Perhaps I am not remembering correctly; but this makes sense to me.

genep777

I also seem to recall seeing a 2018 Road Warrior with auto level panel on the front exterior, next to the generator storage area and the touchpad in the basement where the Oshkosh's panel is located. Perhaps I am not remembering correctly; but this makes sense to me.

Hi again Dan, Sorry Dan, but the Road Warrior was a 2019 427RW at Ron Hooover in Lamarque Texas

Gary521

Perhaps if you have a "level" sitting on a counter or the floor, you can watch the bubble as you perform the manual level operation inside.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Too bad they don’t still sell (not Lippert) the LVL-1 level. The transmitter is placed inside and the receiver display goes outside with you while you manipulate the jacks. Had it for several years and it still works as I set my Ground Control jacks. Still something to be said for the old, you gotta do it, systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RickL

Ok, I am obviously missing something here. On my 18 Oshkosh I only have the leveling pad on the inside of the road side compartment. My point is this, it wouldn’t matter to me where I hit the auto level button. Inside or outside, at the neighbors, etc.

As to manually leveling, about the time I think the trailer is off after hitting the auto level I check it with a level I carry - yup, it’s right on. I’m not sure why one would ever want to manually level thier rig when it can be done automatically. Now if you are talking about manipulating the level to help drain or for what ever reason you are not actually “leveling” the rig in my opinion.

kowAlski631

Ok, I am obviously missing something here. On my 18 Oshkosh I only have the leveling pad on the inside of the road side compartment. My point is this, it wouldn’t matter to me where I hit the auto level button. Inside or outside, at the neighbors, etc.

As to manually leveling, about the time I think the trailer is off after hitting the auto level I check it with a level I carry - yup, it’s right on. I’m not sure why one would ever want to manually level thier rig when it can be done automatically. Now if you are talking about manipulating the level to help drain or for what ever reason you are not actually “leveling” the rig in my opinion.

Over a period of time, the trailer can get slightly off level. You notice it if your doors don't remain open usually, so a manual adjustment is needed to bring it back.

jbeletti

Hi all,

When LCI changed their system for OEMs, we (this forum) started getting feedback right away on it. I looked into it and found that the feedback was spot on - LevelUp from a tiny touchpad outside and manually level with the touchscreen inside. Not super practical in my opinion.

I setup a meeting with LCI at the 2018 Florida RV SuperShow where I met with a sales engineer about this. He listened to my feedback and I walked him through various real world scenarios that obviated the cons in this new system. He took good notes and I am hopeful that "one day", change will be made to this system.

Note that OEMs had little choice in all of this. LCI is pushing their OEM clients towards their new RV control system and installing the touchscreen indoors is the first step. Heartland is not ready to adopt LCI's RV control system just yet.

We shall see how this all shakes out. My guess is we'll see some changes this fall ahead of the Dealer Open House in Elkhart and the Hershey show.

RickL

Over a period of time, the trailer can get slightly off level. You notice it if your doors don't remain open usually, so a manual adjustment is needed to bring it back.

Apparently I might doing something incorrect as if I feel it needs to be adjusted I just hit the auto level again and if it needs adjustment (which only happens on gravel/dirt not hard surfaces) it adjusts automatically. Am I not supposed to use the auto level function again?

david-steph2018

Our 2018 RW 427 has a small control panel next to the gen door on the front. Plus the small touch pad unit in the basement on the curb side.

danemayer

Apparently I might doing something incorrect as if I feel it needs to be adjusted I just hit the auto level again and if it needs adjustment (which only happens on gravel/dirt not hard surfaces) it adjusts automatically. Am I not supposed to use the auto level function again?

I'm sure this is exactly what Lippert was thinking - why would anyone use manual leveling when auto is right there.

But sometimes you may need a manual adjustment. And if you ever need to change a tire, you'll find you need manual control.

Looks like maybe Heartland has started re-positioning the components to help.

kowAlski631

Usually that works, but there are times when it needs to be tweaked ever so little. That's what we've found over the last almost 6 years.

genep777

Hi all,

When LCI changed their system for OEMs, we (this forum) started getting feedback right away on it. I looked into it and found that the feedback was spot on - LevelUp from a tiny touchpad outside and manually level with the touchscreen inside. Not super practical in my opinion.

I setup a meeting with LCI at the 2018 Florida RV SuperShow where I met with a sales engineer about this. He listened to my feedback and I walked him through various real world scenarios that obviated the cons in this new system. He took good notes and I am hopeful that "one day", change will be made to this system.

Note that OEMs had little choice in all of this. LCI is pushing their OEM clients towards their new RV control system and installing the touchscreen indoors is the first step. Heartland is not ready to adopt LCI's RV control system just yet.

We shall see how this all shakes out. My guess is we'll see some changes this fall ahead of the Dealer Open House in Elkhart and the Hershey show.

Hi Jim,

It is my understanding that the new 2019 Road Warrior 429 in fact has changed the setup so that the panel has been moved to the basement so that you can manually adjust outside. This was shown in the pictures of a RW at Ron Hoover in Lamarque Texas. And I think that Andy also runs this operation? Incidentally, this same RW had an upgraded Furrion fireplace that the 2019 Landmark did not have?

Gene Peters

genep777

Our 2018 RW 427 has a small control panel next to the gen door on the front. Plus the small touch pad unit in the basement on the curb side.

Hi David,
This sounds like the right way to do it. We had a 2015 Bighorn 3160 and would use the manual mode when we were in state parks that weren't on level ground. Trying to do this from inside doesn't sound like the best option. Hopefully, Heartland will change the 2019 Oshkosh before we receive ours last of August. Thanks for your reply.

jbeletti

I've seen a small touch screen in the storage bay on some of our toyhaulers. Sort of wish they'd do this for the rest of the 5th wheel line.

jbeletti

Hi Jim,

It is my understanding that the new 2019 Road Warrior 429 in fact has changed the setup so that the panel has been moved to the basement so that you can manually adjust outside. This was shown in the pictures of a RW at Ron Hoover in Lamarque Texas. And I think that Andy also runs this operation? Incidentally, this same RW had an upgraded Furrion fireplace that the 2019 Landmark did not have?

Gene Peters

Gene - I too have seen this on some of our toyhaulers.