Mounting E-Track to the walls in the garage

alsams

Greetings and Happy Monday!
I have a 2018 4270 and I would like to mount some E-Track to the walls so I can store things against the wall and strap them to the wall using the E-Track so the don't fall over or bounce around. A good example is the stairs for the side deck and rear deck. With a side by side in the garage, I can't secure them to the floor. I messed around a bit this weekend and couldn't find any studs in the walls. I know there are studs behind the Happy-Jack rails but was unsuccessful finding other attachment points. My question is has anyone done this before and can you give me some pointers? I was using a metal stud finder and the traditional method of knocking on the wall until the sounds got more "solid" sounding. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Al

Let us know what you come up with, we'd love to find a way to mount those stairs elsewhere also! Post a pic when you do! I was thinking outside, underneath where the spare tires are racked. We have room...?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

bwdt

you might want to check into the track system for pick up trucks, a lot smaller, less intrusive and should handle what you need. Great Ideal though;)

Last edited:
On a nice cool morning your trailer side walls will sweat on the outside showing you where the studs are due to the differences in mass. Start grabbing photos and measurements of those studs/walls with respect to windows and doors. It works. I have photos of mine buried somewhere within the zillions of other photos.

pjones1969

You could put some painters tape along the wall at the height above or below that you want the e-track and drill small holes where you think a stud is and repeat until you find them, marking the tape for reference, then the excess holes would be covered by the flange.

I’ve mounted some small d-rings in my garage and use ratchet straps to hold tables and chairs against the wall. I finally took my stairs home, only was able to use them twice in the last 15 months due to the site layout and got tired of stepping around them. I was planning to build a cradle mounted to the frame for the stairs then realized they would be in there more than they were used and probably rust away from the elements so now we only take them when we know we can use them and they go in the truck bed.

alsams

On a nice cool morning your trailer side walls will sweat on the outside showing you where the studs are due to the differences in mass. Start grabbing photos and measurements of those studs/walls with respect to windows and doors. It works. I have photos of mine buried somewhere within the zillions of other photos.

Dcopenhaver,
That is definitely out of the box thinking!! In Colorado we don't have a lot of humidity so I haven't seen that yet but I'll keep an eye out for it. However, you gave me an idea. I took my metal stud finder outside and was able to detect studs on both sides of the windows. Now I can transfer those into the interior and see if I have enough studs to provide a sturdy mount. If not, I have another idea or two.

Al

- - - Updated - - -

You could put some painters tape along the wall at the height above or below that you want the e-track and drill small holes where you think a stud is and repeat until you find them, marking the tape for reference, then the excess holes would be covered by the flange.

I’ve mounted some small d-rings in my garage and use ratchet straps to hold tables and chairs against the wall. I finally took my stairs home, only was able to use them twice in the last 15 months due to the site layout and got tired of stepping around them. I was planning to build a cradle mounted to the frame for the stairs then realized they would be in there more than they were used and probably rust away from the elements so now we only take them when we know we can use them and they go in the truck bed.

pjones1969,
The truck bed may be the way to go. I'm going to keep working on it and if I figure something out I will post it. I have learned a lot from this forum so maybe I can give something back.

Al

Flooringit

Take the bottom trim off. And do the drill method then reinstall the trim and the holes are hidden. Fill them with silicone first though. Mine has a 4 or 6 inch diamond plate strip on the bottom for trim.

alsams

Hello,
It's been a while since I started this thread about installing E-Track on the walls of the garage, but I finally have a solution others may be interested in. The thread started out by asking where wall studs are in the garage. I have a Cyclone 4270 and wall studs are behind the HappyJack rails and on the sides of the windows. This limits our ability to attach stuff to the studs. My solution was to mount the E-Track between the HappyJack rails and attach them to the HappyJack rails. I’ve attached a few pictures to show the results. I used ¼” button head Allen screws and they don’t interfere at all with the chains inside the rails. I used 1/8” by 1” aluminum bar attached to ¾” by 6” wood behind the E-Track and then bolted the E-Track to the wood. It certainly serves my purpose to be able to stand things up against the wall and secure them to the wall. Some people will be uncomfortable about drilling holes in the HappyJack rail and that’s totally understandable. Hopefully this will help someone or maybe take this idea and make it better.

Al

Attachments

• IMG_2556.jpg
    IMG_2556.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_2552.jpg
    IMG_2552.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_2553.jpg
    IMG_2553.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_2554.jpg
    IMG_2554.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_2555.jpg
    IMG_2555.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 139

PondSkum

Hello,
It's been a while since I started this thread about installing E-Track on the walls of the garage, but I finally have a solution others may be interested in. The thread started out by asking where wall studs are in the garage. I have a Cyclone 4270 and wall studs are behind the HappyJack rails and on the sides of the windows. This limits our ability to attach stuff to the studs. My solution was to mount the E-Track between the HappyJack rails and attach them to the HappyJack rails. I’ve attached a few pictures to show the results. I used ¼” button head Allen screws and they don’t interfere at all with the chains inside the rails. I used 1/8” by 1” aluminum bar attached to ¾” by 6” wood behind the E-Track and then bolted the E-Track to the wood. It certainly serves my purpose to be able to stand things up against the wall and secure them to the wall. Some people will be uncomfortable about drilling holes in the HappyJack rail and that’s totally understandable. Hopefully this will help someone or maybe take this idea and make it better.

Al

That's a great idea! I could have used that a couple months ago when I was transporting a full size gas grill inside and had it tied to the floor anchors. Well, somehow it managed to shift and fell over.. luckily it didn't damage anything, but we learned that you need to make sure that the grease catching pan is clean before transport... LOL..