Looking to purchase a Cyclone 4250 and need help!

Grumpy37

My wife and I have been searching floorpans for a few months now and have narrowed it down to either the Cyclone 4250 or Dutchmen Voltage 4150. We are totally sold on the side patio and need at least 12 1/2 feet of garage length. Ive found plenty of new and a few what looks like gently used units. One of the used units I found only has 2 A/C units. One is in the garage the other in the main area. I currently have a 34' TT with a single air unit and I just don't think a singe unit would be sufficient for a trailer that large. I asked him if it was possible to add the 3rd unit and he has no clue, he doesn't even know if it has the power management system. Does anyone have a 4250 or similar sized Hauler with only 2 A/C units? Any input from anyone that owns a 4250 would be great! Good and bad experiences and what to look for when i go do my inspection.

danemayer

Hi Grumpy37,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Newer Cyclones with 3 A/C units come with a Precision Control Circuits energy management system that will allow concurrent use of the 3 air conditioners, shedding loads when necessary. I'd guess that a trailer with only 2 A/C units may not have shipped with the energy management system. So while it may be possible to add a bedroom A/C unit, you will have to manage overall power consumption manually to avoid tripping breakers in the coach or at the pedestal. You may also have to rearrange circuit breakers in the main panel to even out the loads between the 2 power legs.

If you have a little electrical experience, none of this is too difficult. If not, you'll have to get some help.

Grumpy37

This particular unit is a 2016. I was a remodel contractor for 18 years so I have enough electrical experience to be dangerous ;-) The owner of this unit says the 2nd AC is in the Master bedroom area which doesn't make sense. Im sure it is ducted into the master but im sure the main inlets are in the Main living area. The problem I have with our current single unit setup in our TT is the thermostat is in the main living area and the Master room gets much warmer with 2 people sleeping in it. Doesn't matter how cold I set it at the Master always gets too warm. I want to avoid this issue with the next trailer.

danemayer

This particular unit is a 2016. I was a remodel contractor for 18 years so I have enough electrical experience to be dangerous ;-) The owner of this unit says the 2nd AC is in the Master bedroom area which doesn't make sense. Im sure it is ducted into the master but im sure the main inlets are in the Main living area. The problem I have with our current single unit setup in our TT is the thermostat is in the main living area and the Master room gets much warmer with 2 people sleeping in it. Doesn't matter how cold I set it at the Master always gets too warm. I want to avoid this issue with the next trailer.
Sounds like maybe you haven't seen the trailer yet.

With large trailers and southern heat, you want as many A/C units as you can get.

Grumpy37

No i haven't. the closest one to me is over 400 miles away, this one in particular is almost 700. Ive seen the 4270 and 4200 here locally. The clear 13' of garage space is whats appealing with the 4250. I don't have the "toy" yet but I am looking at Manx style dune buggy's and CJ5 and CJ7 Jeeps. How do the cyclones of this size hold up in the winter? The trailer will primarily be used for my winter seasonal business and someone will basically live in it for 4 months. Our current trailer has an electric fireplace that we absolutely love! They put out an insane amount of heat. Lack of this was the reason we decided against the 4270 Cyclone.

avvidclif

If you plan on loading jeeps you better look at the load ratings very closely. Look at empty weight and GVWR to see how much you can load. The ramps is rated for 2500 lbs IIRC....

Grumpy37

If you plan on loading jeeps you better look at the load ratings very closely. Look at empty weight and GVWR to see how much you can load. The ramps is rated for 2500 lbs IIRC....

The website states the ramp rating is 3000 lbs? The overall cargo capacity is 3600. The jeeps im looking at are under 2700lbs total curb weight. Not into the frills just something fun to drive around in when we get to our destination. I spend enough time as it is in my Truck

Grumpy37

So i was informed today by Holeman Rv in Ohio that the 4250 has been discontinued and replaced with the 4270. I liked both units but the unobstructed 13' garage in the 4250 is what was most appealing. Not sure I want to buy a model that has been discontinued from manufacturing. How does that affect parts availability for repairs? I know the basic guts of the units are basically the same but there are differences. Anyone have an opinion on this?

danemayer

So i was informed today by Holeman Rv in Ohio that the 4250 has been discontinued and replaced with the 4270. I liked both units but the unobstructed 13' garage in the 4250 is what was most appealing. Not sure I want to buy a model that has been discontinued from manufacturing. How does that affect parts availability for repairs? I know the basic guts of the units are basically the same but there are differences. Anyone have an opinion on this?
You wouldn't notice any difference on any of the components manufactured by Heartland or by the major appliance suppliers. TVs can change, but if you need a new TV, there will always be something comparable. Furniture suppliers can change things up and decor can change, but you'll have the same situation within 2 years on any model.

I would say parts availability shouldn't be a concern.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
So is the 2016 unit you are looking at a used unit? If it's new, never titled, I'd be very wary. It was likely built in 2015. That's a potentially 3.5 year-old rig, that hasn't been maintained in all that time.

Maybe call Heartland, and see if they can help locate any dealers with that floorplan in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBR

I don't think you will be satisfied long term with loading and hauling close to a 3000# vehicle in your CY. Yes, the tailgate loading ramp has a factory 3000# rating..Yes, the garage payload has a factory rating of 3000#.

The ramp bows more than enough for me when we load our 1500# UTV. Good luck with your decision.

danemayer

How do the cyclones of this size hold up in the winter? The trailer will primarily be used for my winter seasonal business and someone will basically live in it for 4 months. Our current trailer has an electric fireplace that we absolutely love! They put out an insane amount of heat. Lack of this was the reason we decided against the 4270 Cyclone.

Winter in Georgia is different from winter in Minnesota. The answer to your question depends on where you'll be. For winter use, the challenge is usually in the water systems. I'd suggest you take a look at our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide.

If a fireplace is not an option, you could always use a ceramic disc heater. They put out the same amount of heat as the optional fireplaces - roughly 1500 watts of electricity for either one.

Grumpy37

Winter in Georgia is different from winter in Minnesota. The answer to your question depends on where you'll be. For winter use, the challenge is usually in the water systems. I'd suggest you take a look at our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide.

If a fireplace is not an option, you could always use a ceramic disc heater. They put out the same amount of heat as the optional fireplaces - roughly 1500 watts of electricity for either one.

I live in the North Georgia area and we routinely see temps in the mid 20's or colder at night. My current TT has a fireplace and it heats the unit very well but on colder nights having to run the furnace to keep the tanks warm. I guess a trailer that holds the temps a little better so the heaters don't have to run as much during the winter is what im looking for.

- - - Updated - - -

So is the 2016 unit you are looking at a used unit? If it's new, never titled, I'd be very wary. It was likely built in 2015. That's a potentially 3.5 year-old rig, that hasn't been maintained in all that time.

Maybe call Heartland, and see if they can help locate any dealers with that floorplan in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a used unit and was manufactured late 2015. I have ruled that one out at this point because it doesn't have the 3rd A/C or power management system. I am learning very quickly i didn't know as much as i thought!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think you will be satisfied long term with loading and hauling close to a 3000# vehicle in your CY. Yes, the tailgate loading ramp has a factory 3000# rating..Yes, the garage payload has a factory rating of 3000#.

The ramp bows more than enough for me when we load our 1500# UTV. Good luck with your decision.

After reading issues with the side patios warping and coming apart im very hesitant at this point to purchase one at this time. This was my main reason for looking at the 4250/4270 units. The load capacity for the 4250 is 900lbs more. The vehicles im looking at would weight at most 2,200-2,300 lbs. If i get my way I will be getting a dune buggy that weighs 1,400lbs on the heavy side. My wife and I are currently "discussing" this lol.

LBR

I live in the North Georgia area and we routinely see temps in the mid 20's or colder at night. My current TT has a fireplace and it heats the unit very well but on colder nights having to run the furnace to keep the tanks warm. I guess a trailer that holds the temps a little better so the heaters don't have to run as much during the winter is what im looking for.

- - - Updated - - -

It is a used unit and was manufactured late 2015. I have ruled that one out at this point because it doesn't have the 3rd A/C or power management system. I am learning very quickly i didn't know as much as i thought!

- - - Updated - - -

After reading issues with the side patios warping and coming apart im very hesitant at this point to purchase one at this time. This was my main reason for looking at the 4250/4270 units. The load capacity for the 4250 is 900lbs more. The vehicles im looking at would weight at most 2,200-2,300 lbs. If i get my way I will be getting a dune buggy that weighs 1,400lbs on the heavy side. My wife and I are currently "discussing" this lol.
We don't have, and didnt want, the side patio. We drop our rear patio as much as possible, but any signs of moisture and we fold it back up a day or so before moisture hits. It has never been wet except for dew....this is our feelings for a longer lasting tailgate....keeping it dry.

danemayer

We don't have any patios or ramps, but from what I've seen on the forum, it would pay to seal all the hardware mounts to prevent water from getting inside.

avvidclif

Food for thought.

From the Heartland website.
GVWR 20,000
Empty Weight 16,272
Carrying capacity 3,668

The empty weight doesn't include battery, propane, extra AC's, or any other options added. If you add a third Ac, battery and propane subtract 200 lbs from the capacity. Then subtract the 2700 lb jeep. Then subtract the weight of 30 gal of gas (or 45 with optional tank) 225 lbs. That leaves 543 lbs for everything else. Food, clothes, pots and pans, grill, bathroom stuff, towels, folding chairs, etc. That's easily 500 lbs which means you can bring appx 8 gal of water in the 100 gal tank. That won't last long......

Grumpy37

Food for thought.

From the Heartland website.
GVWR 20,000
Empty Weight 16,272
Carrying capacity 3,668

The empty weight doesn't include battery, propane, extra AC's, or any other options added. If you add a third Ac, battery and propane subtract 200 lbs from the capacity. Then subtract the 2700 lb jeep. Then subtract the weight of 30 gal of gas (or 45 with optional tank) 225 lbs. That leaves 543 lbs for everything else. Food, clothes, pots and pans, grill, bathroom stuff, towels, folding chairs, etc. That's easily 500 lbs which means you can bring appx 8 gal of water in the 100 gal tank. That won't last long......

This is a big reason why I want the VW Dune Buggy :) Most of our “boondockong” will be at NASCAR or NHRA races. If I wanted to bring the extra vehicle to that I would sit offload it close to the track and then fill my tanks and such. The main use for the garage will be extra sleeping space for employees during our work season. Being able to bring toys camping during our off season is a perk!