1 more low point drain question

imchud

Hey All,
I know my coach "09-3385" has no low point drains (except for the fresh water tank) So when I winterize it, (Its coming to soon :() I just throw the heater by-pass valve, hook up the Anti-freeze and start pumping... To flush out the water I would just open up the Kitchen, then when the water flows pink I would do the same through out the coach?? Is that correct, thanks in advance...

Tom

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Tom, If you have the ice maker option in the fridge it requires special handling. There will be instructions for this in the owners packet. Also pour at least a cup of anti freeze down each drain. Shower, vanity and kitchen sink (Both kitchen sinks flow into one trap). This will prevent your P-traps from freezing. About 2 gallons total should do the coach. Have fun!

nhunter

Ditto to what Ray said. For the ice maker, pull off the front cover, set the maker to on, stick a flat screwdriver into the small gear and turn slowly. This manually cycles the ice maker through one ice cycle. Do this until you are happy with the amount of pink fluid coming out. And antifreeze is cheap compared to broke pipes, don't be afraid to use lots. Also remember your washer hook ups, outside spray ports and the "power dump" valves for the water tank.

Dougstdig

Hey All,
I know my coach "09-3385" has no low point drains (except for the fresh water tank) So when I winterize it, (Its coming to soon :() I just throw the heater by-pass valve, hook up the Anti-freeze and start pumping... To flush out the water I would just open up the Kitchen, then when the water flows pink I would do the same through out the coach?? Is that correct, thanks in advance...

Tom

Why would your 09' not have more than one low point drain when my 09' 3400rl has 3? I have a black one inside and in between the driverside axles (fresh water tank) and 2 in front of the steps outside the frame (hot and cold water drain lines).

vangoes

Imchud,
My unit actually has 5 valves to turn for winterizing.....there are 3 for the hw bypass, there is 1 on the fresh water tank/pump pickup tube, and there is one on the antifreeze pickup tube.

imchud

Thanks ALL...
I have no ice maker (wish I did)... I guess with some of the newer model campers they did away with the low point drains due to freezing problems they were having...

nhunter

If you think you want an ice maker, stick a shoebox in your deep freeze:p, it works about as well and takes up that much space. I woulod love to not have one. Oh well

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hey, I got an idea. Come to the south where it is warm in the winter and you don't have to go through all that BS. LMAO

vangoes

Imchud,
If I could get my ice maker out I would send it to you. I agree with nhunter........wish I did not have one. All they do is take up valuable freezer space.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have never used mine except to store ice I have bought. Everytime I had used the icemaker in my previous sob the ice tasted funny because of the water source was never the same.

jbeletti

If you think you want an ice maker, stick a shoebox in your deep freeze:p, it works about as well and takes up that much space. I woulod love to not have one. Oh well

I agree with that. A BIG shoe box. If it were up to me, I'd delete or remove the ice maker and go with a portable ice maker. But alas, it's not up to me - rather up to the DW and she thinks we need it.

After last weekend at the MI rally, I really came to like and rely on Ken and Kathy's (katkens) portable ice maker.

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
A vote FOR the ice maker

I couldn't do without the ice maker. Being full time and having had an ice maker at home before we sold, I have gotten used to the convenience of having it. As for taste, we filter our water everywhere and haven't had any unusual or bad ice, ever. We've had a couple leaks that I took care of easy enough. If there was anything I would change, it would be the flimsy, soft hose that runs from the solenoid valve up the back of the fridge to the ice maker. We also have a freezer in the front closet so having a large shoe box in our little freezer is ok.:p How did this get off of low point drains anyway:rolleyes:?

imchud

Well.... As for now I'll stay away from the Ice maker, maybe when I'm full timming it, i'll re-think the option... thanks all for the input...None

nhunter

I couldn't do without the ice maker. Being full time and having had an ice maker at home before we sold, I have gotten used to the convenience of having it. As for taste, we filter our water everywhere and haven't had any unusual or bad ice, ever. We've had a couple leaks that I took care of easy enough. If there was anything I would change, it would be the flimsy, soft hose that runs from the solenoid valve up the back of the fridge to the ice maker. We also have a freezer in the front closet so having a large shoe box in our little freezer is ok.:p How did this get off of low point drains anyway:rolleyes:?

imchud said he wanted an ice maker, I thought I would help out.:D