Fire Place

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
I cannot believe how they have improved the fireplace in 8 years. The controls are very nice. Have to have the ceiling fan on in our 3760 due to the high ceiling.
Does anyone leave their fireplace on at night when it gets chilly? I am afraid to leave something that gets that hot go without monitoring it.

I have not heard of any fires etc when at the rallies

danemayer

I run the furnace unattended, but not the fireplace. The furnace has a number of safety features. The safety features on the fireplace are very rudimentary.

wdk450

I have had my rig about 9 years now, 4 years fulltiming, and run the fireplace heat overnight on cold nights. I run the light effect EVERY night for ambience.

I have had the fireplace apart many times, mostly for burnt out lamp replacements, but I have also replaced the flame effects reflector motor, and the dimmer circuit on the background lighting.

In my opinion the electric heating element is encased in an inside metal enclosure, totally within the fireplace metal exterior enclosure. This is like how double insulated electrical drills, etc., are safety protected, so they don't need a grounding wire. There are no flammable materials (other than wire insulation) anywhere close to the heating element box. And from frying stuff on my cooktop, I know my smoke detector is pretty sensitive.

danemayer

I think I recall 2 threads about smoke from the fireplace and a third about heat damage to the outlet. The outlet problem could have been an outlet wiring problem.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
After seeing damage to other people's dedicated fireplace plugs, Dave Tyler and I replaced both of mine with heavier duty outdoor plugs. After several months, no issues.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I walked out of the room for about 10 minutes and came back in to smell burning electrical and seeing red hot glowing coils in mine! I would not leave them on overnight. The ones HL put in around 2015-2016 are from China, and I have heard of lots of failures. I think they have changed brands, but better to be safe than sorry.

I do run a Vornado table-top heater overnight, be it has many more safety features than the fireplace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
After seeing damage to other people's dedicated fireplace plugs, Dave Tyler and I replaced both of mine with heavier duty outdoor plugs. After several months, no issues.
Dave gave me a kit to upgrade mine. Nice heavy duty stuff. Thanks again Dave.

Peace
Dave

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We’ve run ours 24/7 when it’s cold enough to warrant. Current unit has a digital thermostat that actually works. No different than running a portable space heater IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Niles

I'm not a fan of leaving it, maybe I'm just over cautious, I even shut water off when I leave. But we do love our BH and don't want to come back to ashes or be in it and glowing. I could get rid of our fireplace without any sorrow.

Ellie

We have used the fireplace to heat our unit (2008 3670RL) during the cool spring and fall days, as well as during the night for almost ten years. We have never had any issues at all, and I prefer the quiet electric heat over the furnace firing up right under our bed! We also have installed highly sensitive heat and CO2 detectors in our unit.