Replaced the Power Converter again

danemayer

Replaced our Progressive Dynamics PD9280A power converter today. I've been carrying a battery charger since the 1st week we owned the coach and have had several occasions to use it, most recently during the Pueblo Rally with temps around 100. The thermostat needs 12V DC if you want to run the air conditioners. The battery charger kept everything going until we got to Breckenridge and cooler temps. The one that failed was installed last September. I guess I'm getting pretty good at replacing them.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
What would cause the failure? Does PD have a warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

What would cause the failure? Does PD have a warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erika, I have no idea why it would fail, but I did go through quite a few Progressive Dynamics transfer switches before getting one that worked correctly. Maybe they have a problem.

They have a warranty but the customer service rep was a little squirrelly about it. They offered to send a replacement backed by credit card, but warned that if they decided it wasn't covered by warranty they would charge my card. I told them I already had a new converter installed and would send the failed on in for replacement so I would have a spare. It's on the way to them.

Hopefully they won't tell me a mouse crawled over it voiding the warranty.:rolleyes:

mlpeloquin

They told me the same thing. My converter failed and jumped up to 16.67V. The fridge was at 50+C and the freezers were still frozen, but just. Took two days to figure out the converter was bad. They told me it is almost caused by water damage. My compartment is and has always been bone dry. Replaced it with one from Camping world and sent the bad one in for an exchange. Guess what? They said it was water damage. Well all the bare wood is dry and so is everything else. So if it was water damage it had to be a latent failure from water exposure prior to my fifth wheel being built. So do not be surprised that they say it isn't covered. So I now carry a spare as well.