Flipped over power cord switch box cover

Oldelevatorman

Good evening friends: Whenever we land somewhere and I go to use the switch to let out my 50-amp cord, it’s tough to keep lifting up the cover to push the switch. You move your hand, the lid comes down, it just becomes a pain. So I decided to turn the box over so the lid flops down out of the way. I didn’t realize it was all one piece so I had turn the switch over as well and it all came apart in my hand. Of course my wife came around the corner and, ‘OMG what are you doing now’. I said I’m trying to make it easier on myself. She said later that she thought it might get wet that way! What do y’all think?
Thanks, Jim

Garypowell

I think your wife is correct. Covers like that are designed to fall to the closed position rather than to the open position.

But it maybe a good thing you found out the switch was about to fail.

We don’t have an electric reel system but I always thought it would be a two person deal...one to work the switch and the other to carry the power cord where it needed to be plugged in.

From your description it seems you you are doing it by yourself.

TedS

The powered cord reel on my Bighorn was powered only to retrieve the cord. It freewheeled out so I could just pull the cord out and did not worry about the door hanging down.

danemayer

I've had 2 versions of the power reel. On the older one, I just pulled the cord out. On the new one, I have to press the 'release' button to unlock the cord, and then I pull.

Perhaps there's a third version where you have to hold the switch to unspool. If so, I must have missed that one.

Roller4tan

Mine came from the factory to open down, and the switch is separate next to it. Freewheels to pull the cord out, power in.

Oldelevatorman

I've had 2 versions of the power reel. On the older one, I just pulled the cord out. On the new one, I have to press the 'release' button to unlock the cord, and then I pull.

Perhaps there's a third version where you have to hold the switch to unspool. If so, I must have missed that one.

Most times I can pull it out, once in awhile I need to hit the switch in and out and then it will freewheel. I'll check inside the switch box after the rain stops. If it seems too wet I'll flip it back around. I do need to re-caulk around the box once it's dry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk