Sat losing signal

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
I searched for sat information, found some but the threads were closed so here is a new one.

We have the Wineguard auto dish ( thats what I call it since we have no manuals for it and do not know the model), it picks up the signal very good, but while watching TV it cuts in and out and says it lost signal. then comes back. We are on Shaw in Canada, there is very clear sky, no trees ot building for 300 yards. It is securely mounted on the roof. It worked great for 2 weeks then started this crap. We did not move or shut the disch down so nothing changed, just the reception.

Last edited by a moderator:

RickL

Just for reference I utilize a tripod dish for Directv and have been experiencing the same thing. We are presently in Cody WY.

wdk450

You might call Direct TV customer service about satellite problems. They DO happen, and most of the sophisticated electronics on the satellites have error detection and reporting systems. I have called Dish with similar problems to be told: "Yes, we have been experiencing problems like that in your area".

That having been said, I believe that the weakest link with the most exposure to possible damage is the coax cables. It might be worth the investment to have a second set of premium satellite coax cables for when problems happen, and you want to figure things out.

SNOKING

I would start by checking all the sat cable connectors for tightness. Which includes the back side of face plates and docking station. Also put out the coax carefully from the belly under the slide with the TV. There are barrel connectors on these cables just inside the frame rails.

Factory seems challenged on tightening coax connectors correctly. HDTV requires good connections!!!

LBR

Did you read the closed thread that mentions attaching the coax directly to the receiver, effectively bypassing the coach's internal coax, for comparison troubleshooting?

carl.swoyer

I searched for sat information, found some but the threads were closed so here is a new one.

We have the Wineguard auto dish ( thats what I call it since we have no manuals for it and do not know the model), it picks up the signal very good, but while watching TV it cuts in and out and says it lost signal. then comes back. We are on Shaw in Canada, there is very clear sky, no trees ot building for 300 yards. It is securely mounted on the roof. It worked great for 2 weeks then started this crap. We did not move or shut the disch down so nothing changed, just the reception.
Try doing a reset on the box. Should be a small reset button on the side

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"Hi-Viz" Bill

Just went thru same thing .. was getting 771 & 775 error msgs, very frequently .. had checked & re-checked ALL coax & fittings in the RV to no avail .. long story short, the "coax" cable from the base of my Traveler dish on the roof, up thru the arm to the LNB, was bad .. A quick fix was used with a Walmart 6' coax to temporarily replace the cable until I can order the proper replacement from the dish company. Hope this helps !!

Chainsaw

I called Shaw Direct our satellite program provider. They had 185 calls before me, while is wait for them to call they refresh the signal, I got missed twic so they refreshed twice, this took a few hours. On the third go around I noticed that the signal was not dropping. This is the next day and the signal has not dropped. So I figure it was their problem.
So for so good

CDN

B and B
Hello Chainsaw,

Shaw is changing around satellites and eventually dropping Standard Definition service by 2019. I have had issues as well but i have a Carryout dish which they say will not work. I have mine working fine as long as clear sky is available. I can even get HD on many many channels despite it being a small 8 inch dish inside the dome. One thing I have noticed even at home as they shift satellites they are moving out of there correction box in space, meaning the signal drops off quicker. This most likely will be complete once Anik G is fully online. (Broadcast Engineer speak sorry if it is too wordy)

You can sign up for a online account and refresh the receivers yourselves, i do this while camping. Also if you remember the digits you can just send a refresh over the phone and not have to wait on hold.

Happy Camping!!

Brian

Chainsaw

Hello Chainsaw,

Shaw is changing around satellites and eventually dropping Standard Definition service by 2019. I have had issues as well but i have a Carryout dish which they say will not work. I have mine working fine as long as clear sky is available. I can even get HD on many many channels despite it being a small 8 inch dish inside the dome. One thing I have noticed even at home as they shift satellites they are moving out of there correction box in space, meaning the signal drops off quicker. This most likely will be complete once Anik G is fully online. (Broadcast Engineer speak sorry if it is too wordy)

You can sign up for a online account and refresh the receivers yourselves, i do this while camping. Also if you remember the digits you can just send a refresh over the phone and not have to wait on hold.

Happy Camping!!

Brian

Thanks Brian

I have not heard of this sat change. The did one in 2008 and the dish provider did not tell us we would have to upgrade the firm ware on our dish.

Do you know if the firmware will have to be upgraded on a Wineguard dish system once the sat change is complete?
Don