Adjustable Awnings

Sniper

The Commander has found a Road Warrior she REALLY likes but the awnings stick straight out at what I'm guessing is between 12-13 feet in the air with NO way to adjust the angle. The dealer says "no problem! We can install them".:rolleyes: None of the Road Warrior literature mentions adjustable awnings as an option. Also the one she wants is the RW 428 which as you know was only made for 2018 so we can no longer order it with such awnings if they are even available installed from the factory. Soooo, if we purchased this 428 and the dealer installed adjustable awnings will this alter any factory warranty on the awnings or if there may be water intrusion because of having to drill more holes to mount said awnings? She's looking hard and has her choices narrowed down to 4 and one of the others is a Cyclone 4005 so I'll ask the same thing about those awnings. Thanks. :)

danemayer

If the dealer installs replacement awnings, and drills holes, any resultant problems would not be a factory defect and would not be covered by Heartland. You'd have to negotiate warranty on the dealer work directly with the dealer. Get it in writing and consider what coverage you want if not close by the dealer were a problem to occur.

Sniper

If the dealer installs replacement awnings, and drills holes, any resultant problems would not be a factory defect and would not be covered by Heartland. You'd have to negotiate warranty on the dealer work directly with the dealer. Get it in writing and consider what coverage you want if not close by the dealer were a problem to occur.
Would you happen to know if adjustable awnings are factory options? My hope is if they are an option then they would bolt right up or only have to replace some components. :)

LBR

Would you happen to know if adjustable awnings are factory options? My hope is if they are an option then they would bolt right up or only have to replace some components. :)
Our 2017 CY had the same thing....almost straight out on both of them. I started looking at them and there is a very simple adjustment (I think 4 different levels). I believe they are Carefrees...at least the rear patio one is.

If you need a couple pictures of the adjustment and brand/model # to look for, I can do.

Sniper

Our 2017 CY had the same thing....almost straight out on both of them. I started looking at them and there is a very simple adjustment (I think 4 different levels). I believe they are Carefrees...at least the rear patio one is.

If you need a couple pictures of the adjustment and brand/model # to look for, I can do.
Thanks, I'd appreciate that LBR as would the salesman & shop foreman I would guess. LoL :)

LBR

Thanks, I'd appreciate that LBR as would the salesman & shop foreman I would guess. LoL :)
Here's 3 pics of our Carefrees of Colorado...one shows the angle after I set them from the straight out to the lowest they will droop. One shows the 3 settings on the inner arms. One shows the part number for the series of them. Hope this helps.
0060301a0e6e44bffe468b1bf9081fb5.jpg
a2f351b2d8d473dd90c35440fdde14dd.jpg
2205996b5025ba591e6ae8d956722d63.jpg

PondSkum

Ours has little spring pins on the sides of the arms and has a few adjustments to lower them.. They were pointed straight out at the highest setting when we bought it also, and I was like, "what good is that!?" If you need pics, I can try to remember to snap some of how ours is.

Sniper

Here's 3 pics of our Carefrees of Colorado...one shows the angle after I set them from the straight out to the lowest they will droop. One shows the 3 settings on the inner arms. One shows the part number for the series of them. Hope this helps.
0060301a0e6e44bffe468b1bf9081fb5.jpg
a2f351b2d8d473dd90c35440fdde14dd.jpg
2205996b5025ba591e6ae8d956722d63.jpg
The awnings are already in that 3rd slot and are sticking straight out. The shop foreman even said they won't angle any further. Am I missing something? Is he missing something? :confused: Thanks.

PS: The Road Warrior brochure even shows the awnings in that 3rd slot and sticking straight out.

- - - Updated - - -

Ours has little spring pins on the sides of the arms and has a few adjustments to lower them.. They were pointed straight out at the highest setting when we bought it also, and I was like, "what good is that!?" If you need pics, I can try to remember to snap some of how ours is.
Exactly, no good at all. :)

Sniper

pjones1969

Thanks. I didn't see anything that looked like that on the awnings but that don't mean it isn't there. i will see if they have that adjustment if and when we get back over to look at it. I would think the salesman and shop foreman would know about that adjustment if it were there but who knows. Thanks for the input. :)

Here’s a pic of the adjustment knubs on the arms when the awning is rolled in

49646fe579597bdb3446abc4bdd0dfbc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBR

The awnings are already in that 3rd slot and are sticking straight out. The shop foreman even said they won't angle any further. Am I missing something? Is he missing something? :confused: Thanks.

PS: The Road Warrior brochure even shows the awnings in that 3rd slot and sticking straight out.

Sorry for misleading you...this is the picture of the 6 adjustments. When it is pinned on the right most holes, awning stick straight out....my bad.
8abb1fd11db0982917711cc2740d5fb1.jpg

pjones1969

The U shaped cutouts are there so when the arms are folded in they clear around the other pins used on the entire arm assembly, there is no adjustment on those.

You will be able to see the row of adjustment hole with the awning rolled in without extending the awning. I did see in the manual that it had (adjustable pitch awning only) so I guess they might make one that is not adjustable. ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sniper

Sorry for misleading you...this is the picture of the 6 adjustments. When it is pinned on the right most holes, awning stick straight out....my bad.
8abb1fd11db0982917711cc2740d5fb1.jpg
It's all good, I made the comment to the dealer about the awnings sticking straight out and how they would HAVE to be adjustable before we would ever sign on the line. Neither the salesman or the shop foreman found anyway to adjust the angle any further. The foreman was messing around the the area with the 3 slots and said "There's no adjustments to be made". I never looked at it that close. I can't imagine he wouldn't have seen that on there but who knows? I appreciate all the feedback and now I know exactly how the adjuster looks and is located I can check for myself. :)

PondSkum

That's exactly how my awning arms are. They were originally set on the highest setting, and I moved them to the lowest. They are still way up there, but it's a lot better than sticking straight out. I wish they were mounted a little bit lower on the side, and not all the way at the top.

Sniper

That's exactly how my awning arms are. They were originally set on the highest setting, and I moved them to the lowest. They are still way up there, but it's a lot better than sticking straight out. I wish they were mounted a little bit lower on the side, and not all the way at the top.
I concur with your assessment. I guess I don't understand why on what is being labeled as a "Luxury" 5th wheel, they would't come with fully adjustable awnings like say the ones I've seen on Landmarks, or at the very least be an option. Thanks everyone for the input. :)

busted2341

At least the carefree awning can be adjusted. The Dometic on my Landmark is only adjustable by pulling it down and locking a set screw. It sits so high on the front side that if you want to pull it down to reasch the set screw, you need a ladder. Also it seems the awning is more less useless because of they are set so high and are so short extended out that they are more for looks than anything. They need to be much further out.

Sniper

At least the carefree awning can be adjusted. The Dometic on my Landmark is only adjustable by pulling it down and locking a set screw. It sits so high on the front side that if you want to pull it down to reasch the set screw, you need a ladder. Also it seems the awning is more less useless because of they are set so high and are so short extended out that they are more for looks than anything. They need to be much further out.
The Carefree awning on our current Cyclone isn't adjustable at all. It is angled much better than straight out, but still waaaaaay up in the air. :)

david-steph2018

Be careful with the awnings, there are no wind sensors on these things either. We were in Montgomery Al on the 2nd night of our 3 week road trip and a storm same in so fast we could not get the big awning in. We were actually in the camper watching tv when a warning about a storm came over the tv. Before we could get to the switch in the garage the storm had damage the arm.
Know what the cost of a non-motor arm is for these things?
$430.00 plus service call ($65.00) plus labor ($90.00).
I called carefree and they said even if windsenors are installed it takes 15 seconds of constant wind before it works. But if the switch is just in/out the awnings don't have a windsensor installed.

LBR

Be careful with the awnings, there are no wind sensors on these things either. We were in Montgomery Al on the 2nd night of our 3 week road trip and a storm same in so fast we could not get the big awning in. We were actually in the camper watching tv when a warning about a storm came over the tv. Before we could get to the switch in the garage the storm had damage the arm.
Know what the cost of a non-motor arm is for these things?
$430.00 plus service call ($65.00) plus labor ($90.00).
I called carefree and they said even if windsenors are installed it takes 15 seconds of constant wind before it works. But if the switch is just in/out the awnings don't have a windsensor installed.
It has been very fruitful to us using our phone's weather apps to look ahead at moisture (to close up our rear patio deck) and also the projected wind for the next couple days. Anytime it calls for 10mph or more, the awnings will be pulled in well before that time.