Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Ram 3500 Brakes Squeak under light pressure

  1. Print this Post   #1
    Senior Member Bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    USA - MD
    Posts
    3,929

    Ram 3500 Brakes Squeak under light pressure

    My truck is about 44k miles now the pads are good and I have blown the dust off a couple times however they continue to do a weird squeak/squeal under light braking conditions. I do think my truck is doing most if not all of the braking for my rig. I am at the point where I'm ready to swap out the pads. What have you used and how are they performing? I see Geno's sells Hawk pads.



    2019 F450 6.7L Power Stroke 4x4, 450HP 935lb-ft Torque 4.30 gears
    2019 37MDQS Pinnacle
    Sold: 2015 3650BH Gateway
    Sold: 2014 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7l
    Sold: 2015 RAM 3500 4x4 DRW, 6.7 l /AISIN Trans (865 lb-ft) 4.10 gears / Auto Level

  2. Print this Post   #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    USA - PA
    Posts
    525

    Re: Ram 3500 Brakes Squeak under light pressure

    I have not had any issues on my 2017 Ram. I had many issues with after market pads on my 2006. If I used dealer stock pads, then I would have zero issues. If I used after market pads, I would get noises and dust. I know that it sounds like BS but that was my experience with my 2006. I have a friend that retired as a Dodge certified mechanic who told me to try the dealer pads, and I thought he was crazy but it did make a difference. Likely he was able to get them for me at his price. He retired and moved south 2 years ago, so I no longer have that option but when my 17 needs pads, I will be going to the dealer parts department.
    I refuse to end up at death's door only to realize that I never really lived.
    2017 Dodge Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie
    2011 Road Warrior 305
    2012 Victory Vision Premium & 2011 Victory Hammer

  3. Print this Post   #3
    Caught In A Mosh
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    USA - CO
    Posts
    1,285

    Re: Ram 3500 Brakes Squeak under light pressure

    Hawk pads are the way to go IMO. Our F350 squeaks the same as you are describing. I have hals pads left and three stealerships have refused to put new ones on saying the brakes are just fine.



    Mike & Anna McKenzie
    Heidi the water dog.
    2017 F350
    2017 Big Country 4011 ERD

    You do not need everything to enjoy life. You already have life, enjoy everything.


    2015: CO Camp-out, CO Fall Rally
    2016: West TX Rally, CO Spring Rally, CO Fall Rally, Las Vegas National Rally
    2017: KY Rally, CO Fall Rally
    2018: LA Rally, N Central Regional Rally, IA Rally
    2019: W TX Rally



  4. Print this Post   #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    USA - FL
    Posts
    115

    Re: Ram 3500 Brakes Squeak under light pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by Bones View Post
    My truck is about 44k miles now the pads are good and I have blown the dust off a couple times however they continue to do a weird squeak/squeal under light braking conditions. I do think my truck is doing most if not all of the braking for my rig. I am at the point where I'm ready to swap out the pads. What have you used and how are they performing? I see Geno's sells Hawk pads.
    A squeak under light application is caused by brake pad rattle, If there is any movement of the pad in the caliper they may squeak. Check them for movement and if they move you can squeeze the tabs together with pliers or use some anti brake goop ( I don't remember the name but its usually blue) on the back of the pads to keep them from moving and squeaking....

    It can be really annoying, mine are doing it right now but are almost worn out so I decided to live with it until I put the new pads in.

  5. Print this Post   #5
    Senior Member Bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    USA - MD
    Posts
    3,929

    Re: Ram 3500 Brakes Squeak under light pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by Shortest Straw View Post
    Hawk pads are the way to go IMO. Our F350 squeaks the same as you are describing. I have hals pads left and three stealerships have refused to put new ones on saying the brakes are just fine.
    Thanks. I figured the dealership would say the same thing because they have plenty of life on them and if I have to take them apart to just clean them I figured I would just replace them.



    2019 F450 6.7L Power Stroke 4x4, 450HP 935lb-ft Torque 4.30 gears
    2019 37MDQS Pinnacle
    Sold: 2015 3650BH Gateway
    Sold: 2014 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7l
    Sold: 2015 RAM 3500 4x4 DRW, 6.7 l /AISIN Trans (865 lb-ft) 4.10 gears / Auto Level

  6. Print this Post   #6
    Senior Member Bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    USA - MD
    Posts
    3,929

    Re: Ram 3500 Brakes Squeak under light pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by bwdt View Post
    A squeak under light application is caused by brake pad rattle, If there is any movement of the pad in the caliper they may squeak. Check them for movement and if they move you can squeeze the tabs together with pliers or use some anti brake goop ( I don't remember the name but its usually blue) on the back of the pads to keep them from moving and squeaking....

    It can be really annoying, mine are doing it right now but are almost worn out so I decided to live with it until I put the new pads in.
    Yeah it is getting annoying. I've had the wheels off twice blowing the dust out. I just haven't taken them apart yet Thanks for the info on checking them.



    2019 F450 6.7L Power Stroke 4x4, 450HP 935lb-ft Torque 4.30 gears
    2019 37MDQS Pinnacle
    Sold: 2015 3650BH Gateway
    Sold: 2014 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7l
    Sold: 2015 RAM 3500 4x4 DRW, 6.7 l /AISIN Trans (865 lb-ft) 4.10 gears / Auto Level

  7. Print this Post   #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    USA - NY
    Posts
    1,057

    Re: Ram 3500 Brakes Squeak under light pressure

    I replaced the pads/rotors on my '03 F250 w/ Hawk pads and slotted rotors in spring of '14. Really, REALLY liked how they performed. Much to my chagrin tho, I got rid of that truck several months later. When it comes time to do it again, will certainly consider them again if they are avail for my '17.

  8. Print this Post   #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    USA - MO
    Posts
    1,675

    Re: Ram 3500 Brakes Squeak under light pressure

    Try a couple of hard braking runs from highway speeds, this will knock any glazing off the pads. You don't mention the year of your truck, my 14 has the original pads and just turned 80,000, still pleanty of pad left. On my 2010, I had to replace pads at 50,000, I used Wagoner Extreme Duty pads and was happy with the performance.
    If you aren't in trouble or causing no trouble, you aren't having any fun!! And I am having a blast!!!
    How about you??
    2019 Ram Limited Crew Cab 3500, 6.7 Turbo Desiel, 1,000 FTPD of Torque, Aisin, 4.10's, Max Tow, Towing Technology
    "Classic" 06 Landmark Mt. Rushmore, Mor-Ryd, Trail Air Air Pin, Disc Brakes, 17.5 Wheels & Tires ( 6,000 lb Cap @),
    Dishwasher, Induction Cook Top, and a few other improvements

  9. Print this Post   #9
    Senior Member Bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    USA - MD
    Posts
    3,929

    Re: Ram 3500 Brakes Squeak under light pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by hoefler View Post
    Try a couple of hard braking runs from highway speeds, this will knock any glazing off the pads. You don't mention the year of your truck, my 14 has the original pads and just turned 80,000, still pleanty of pad left. On my 2010, I had to replace pads at 50,000, I used Wagoner Extreme Duty pads and was happy with the performance.
    Oh I've had plenty of very very hard braking runs. truck is a 2015. The truck does most of the braking.



    2019 F450 6.7L Power Stroke 4x4, 450HP 935lb-ft Torque 4.30 gears
    2019 37MDQS Pinnacle
    Sold: 2015 3650BH Gateway
    Sold: 2014 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7l
    Sold: 2015 RAM 3500 4x4 DRW, 6.7 l /AISIN Trans (865 lb-ft) 4.10 gears / Auto Level

  10. Print this Post   #10
    Senior Member carl.swoyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    USA - FL
    Posts
    2,035

    Re: Ram 3500 Brakes Squeak under light pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by Bones View Post
    My truck is about 44k miles now the pads are good and I have blown the dust off a couple times however they continue to do a weird squeak/squeal under light braking conditions. I do think my truck is doing most if not all of the braking for my rig. I am at the point where I'm ready to swap out the pads. What have you used and how are they performing? I see Geno's sells Hawk pads.
    Have you inspected the rotors for any possibility of cracks

    Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. My Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor Fault light
    By brianlajoie in forum Towing Rigs
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-09-2017, 09:57 PM
  2. Pressure in Diesel fuel tank 2015 3500 Silverado
    By Garypowell in forum Diesel Truck Information
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-08-2016, 03:15 PM
  3. RAM 3500 2013 & Newer - Projection Headlights & Fog Light Conversion to HID
    By DesertThumper in forum Diesel Truck Information
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-23-2014, 07:30 PM
  4. Squeak..Squeak
    By lakeside in forum Axles, Brakes and Suspension
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-16-2014, 10:34 AM
  5. Light-Pressure Gratitude
    By Two Hands in forum Bighorn - General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 11:32 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •