Ram 3500 Brakes Squeak under light pressure

Bones

My truck is about 44k miles now the pads are good and I have blown the dust off a couple times however they continue to do a weird squeak/squeal under light braking conditions. I do think my truck is doing most if not all of the braking for my rig. I am at the point where I'm ready to swap out the pads. What have you used and how are they performing? I see Geno's sells Hawk pads.

szewczyk_john

I have not had any issues on my 2017 Ram. I had many issues with after market pads on my 2006. If I used dealer stock pads, then I would have zero issues. If I used after market pads, I would get noises and dust. I know that it sounds like BS but that was my experience with my 2006. I have a friend that retired as a Dodge certified mechanic who told me to try the dealer pads, and I thought he was crazy but it did make a difference. Likely he was able to get them for me at his price. He retired and moved south 2 years ago, so I no longer have that option but when my 17 needs pads, I will be going to the dealer parts department.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Hawk pads are the way to go IMO. Our F350 squeaks the same as you are describing. I have hals pads left and three stealerships have refused to put new ones on saying the brakes are just fine.

bwdt

My truck is about 44k miles now the pads are good and I have blown the dust off a couple times however they continue to do a weird squeak/squeal under light braking conditions. I do think my truck is doing most if not all of the braking for my rig. I am at the point where I'm ready to swap out the pads. What have you used and how are they performing? I see Geno's sells Hawk pads.

A squeak under light application is caused by brake pad rattle, If there is any movement of the pad in the caliper they may squeak. Check them for movement and if they move you can squeeze the tabs together with pliers or use some anti brake goop ( I don't remember the name but its usually blue) on the back of the pads to keep them from moving and squeaking....

It can be really annoying, mine are doing it right now but are almost worn out so I decided to live with it until I put the new pads in.:eek:

Bones

Hawk pads are the way to go IMO. Our F350 squeaks the same as you are describing. I have hals pads left and three stealerships have refused to put new ones on saying the brakes are just fine.

Thanks. I figured the dealership would say the same thing because they have plenty of life on them and if I have to take them apart to just clean them I figured I would just replace them.

Bones

A squeak under light application is caused by brake pad rattle, If there is any movement of the pad in the caliper they may squeak. Check them for movement and if they move you can squeeze the tabs together with pliers or use some anti brake goop ( I don't remember the name but its usually blue) on the back of the pads to keep them from moving and squeaking....

It can be really annoying, mine are doing it right now but are almost worn out so I decided to live with it until I put the new pads in.:eek:

Yeah it is getting annoying. I've had the wheels off twice blowing the dust out. I just haven't taken them apart yet Thanks for the info on checking them.

NYSUPstater

I replaced the pads/rotors on my '03 F250 w/ Hawk pads and slotted rotors in spring of '14. Really, REALLY liked how they performed. Much to my chagrin tho, I got rid of that truck several months later. When it comes time to do it again, will certainly consider them again if they are avail for my '17.

hoefler

Try a couple of hard braking runs from highway speeds, this will knock any glazing off the pads. You don't mention the year of your truck, my 14 has the original pads and just turned 80,000, still pleanty of pad left. On my 2010, I had to replace pads at 50,000, I used Wagoner Extreme Duty pads and was happy with the performance.

Bones

Try a couple of hard braking runs from highway speeds, this will knock any glazing off the pads. You don't mention the year of your truck, my 14 has the original pads and just turned 80,000, still pleanty of pad left. On my 2010, I had to replace pads at 50,000, I used Wagoner Extreme Duty pads and was happy with the performance.

Oh I've had plenty of very very hard braking runs. truck is a 2015. The truck does most of the braking.

carl.swoyer

Have you inspected the rotors for any possibility of cracks

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk