Attaching fold-down table to the inside of an exterior wall - construction? RG26

hdjeff

Greetings all

My wife and I will be taking our first big (1300 mile one way) trip with our new RG26 toy hauler in early August. We have an "empty space" below a window and above a wheel well cover on the entry side of the trailer. It looks like a good place to install a wall-mounted fold down table. We have a 40" long by 20" deep butcher block style table topper that mounts to 2 fold-down metal brackets that require 3 screws each to attach to wall studs.

The Heartland Pioneer website says that wall studs are on 16" centers. I appear to confirm this with my "wall-thumping" and "paneling flexing" approach to locating wall studs. However, in examining the trailer for outside wall thickness, my best guess is that the "wall studs" are most likely 2 by 2s. Can anyone confirm or deny these "observations"?

Best Regards,
HDJeff

MountainDon

I can not answer your question, but depending on the thickness of that butcher block, I would be awfully hesitant to do that. I would be concerned about the amount of weight hanging on the wall when traveling. If the table top is supported ( or folds down to the floor), it would be better.

Just my 2 cents

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Greetings all

My wife and I will be taking our first big (1300 mile one way) trip with our new RG26 toy hauler in early August. We have an "empty space" below a window and above a wheel well cover on the entry side of the trailer. It looks like a good place to install a wall-mounted fold down table. We have a 40" long by 20" deep butcher block style table topper that mounts to 2 fold-down metal brackets that require 3 screws each to attach to wall studs.

The Heartland Pioneer website says that wall studs are on 16" centers. I appear to confirm this with my "wall-thumping" and "paneling flexing" approach to locating wall studs. However, in examining the trailer for outside wall thickness, my best guess is that the "wall studs" are most likely 2 by 2s. Can anyone confirm or deny these "observations"?

Best Regards,
HDJeff

Not sure about your toy hauler walls, but most of the wall framing is metal. This photo was taken at the plant during the 2011 Rally, showing walls frames waiting to be completed. Looks like they're 2x2 metal studs. Simply running screws into them would not be a good idea. Anchor bolts might work, if you can center on the stud, but the weight of the table could pose a problem long term.

Attachments

• Frames.jpg
    Frames.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 28

MTPockets

Attach 1x2 boards vertically from the floor to the desired table height, to the studs in the wall. Attach the table top hinge to the 1x2. This will give you needed vertical support.

hdjeff

Not sure about your toy hauler walls, but most of the wall framing is metal. This photo was taken at the plant during the 2011 Rally, showing walls frames waiting to be completed. Looks like they're 2x2 metal studs. Simply running screws into them would not be a good idea. Anchor bolts might work, if you can center on the stud, but the weight of the table could pose a problem long term.

Wow, one picture is worth a thousand words...man was I making some bad assumptions about 2 by 2 wooden "studs". Thanks so much for the photo!

Regards,
HDJeff

hdjeff

Attach 1x2 boards vertically from the floor to the desired table height, to the studs in the wall. Attach the table top hinge to the 1x2. This will give you needed vertical support.

Ok, maybe we are getting somewhere...if you can indulge me with a few questions...does the actual floor of the trailer play a significant role in structural strength? My desired location for the table is over a wheel well, so I cannot make contact with the floor. Does fastening the 1x2 at several points along the length of the aluminum stud offer sufficient support without floor contact of the 1x2?

Finally, do you have any recommendations for fastening the 1x2, through the paneling, and into the hollow aluminum "stud"? Some sort of hollow wall anchor bolt?

Thanks so much,
HDJeff