Yeti Package operation

bigdob24

The new rig I’m getting has the Yeti Package.
I understand what it is just wondered about usage?
Ive been in situations where it’s been below freezing and was always worried about plumbing and tanks with water.
To get the most out of them does one just turn them on when freezing temps happen and then turn them off when things warm up?
They must run off 12V ? So a big drain on batteries if not plugged in?
Anything I’m missing here?
BD

212Pilot

Our Cyclone 3800 has two packages the yeti package which is only a 12V heat cable on the water line that goes to the pump. The Canadian Arctic Package has 120V tank heaters on all the fluid tanks. I turn all on when it is forecast to be 34 degrees or below then turn them off if above that. Both systems have thermostats so it really doesn't matter if you turn it off above freezing. In very low temps below 15 degrees I will leave the yeti on while we are on the road and even run the generator to keep the tanks heaters on. I also added 120v heat cable to the water lines that go to the kitchen sink and rear bathroom. This process has worked for us through trial and error we figured it out. Hope this helps you.

sengli

Just to be very clear the heat tape, is on the one line, its the fresh water run from the tank to the water pump. There is no other heat tape, on any of the other plumbing runs in the under belly. As for the tank heaters, our in our big horn they are 120v, so they obviously only work when plugged into shore power. Plus there are numerous threads here on this site, where it suggested..... you need about 1/3 of the tanks full, before you should use the tank heaters, or they will melt a hole in your tanks.

We camp when its cold, and we have never needed this option, as long as you run your furnace.

danemayer

On most rigs, the holding tank heating pads are 120V AC and are not thermostatically controlled. I think that a few over the years may have 12V DC tank heating pads - perhaps on a few Big Country trailers if I remember correctly.

The heat tape is on the underbelly section of the fresh tank feed line to the pump. Its controller is powered by 12V DC and is thermostatically operated when switched ON.

For some reason, on Landmark, Bighorn and Big Country, the combination of these features and extra insulation is sold as the YETI option. On some toy haulers, it may have been sold as the Canadian Arctic Package. And it's very possible that on all of them, the control panel switch(es) may be labeled "YETI".

You definitely need some water in the bottom of each tank when the tank heaters are ON, but 1/3 tank is probably much more than needed. The water in the bottom of the tank dissipates the heat from the heating pad. And yes, I have personal experience with burning holes in Gray #1 by running with the valve open. I would estimate that 5 gallons probably does the job on a 45 gallon tank.

bigdob24

All good to know.
I hope who ever does the walk through with me has all the knowledge on this new to me Stuff.
This will be my 5th Heartland so I’ve got most of it figured out by now 😉
Thanks for the info
BD