2002 Trailblazer... Is it enuff?

Is my 17 year old 200k plus Trailblazer enough to pull a 4350 pound (dry weight) Trail Runner SLE 21? We haven't pulled the trigger yet and I know I need weight distribution hitch and an electric brake controller; I have a tranny cooler on the way to be delivered tomorrow.
We really like the Trailblazer; bought in new, and want it to do the job. Anyone have any advice?

Speedy

Bill, let's put some numbers on paper here (so to speak) and figure it out. Need to know some information from you first. 2002 Trailblazer with what engine. Need the GVWR from the door sticker on the truck. Need the GVWR from the sticker on the trailer. (dry weight is meaningless) With those numbers we can calc if you Trailblazer is overloaded or not.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The 2001 Trailblazer is rated to tow up to 5,900 pounds, but that would also depend on how it is outfitted.
You really should find out the tow capacity of your particular vehicle.

Peace
Dave

mlpeloquin

You also need to remember the age of the vehicle. My sister in law and her husband purchased a trailer well within the towing of his eight year old truck. Their second trip yesterday the transmission took a dump. Ya in the middle of nowhere. They managed to contact the tow company and his daughter was fallowing with the dogs in her car. So the tow company took the trailer to the RV park for them and the truck to a transmission shop. $2500 t0 $2800 is the estimate in New Hampshire. If it were in California add another grand at least in San Jose, CA. They dropped the pan and did not look good. Lots of metal flakes. So a complete rebuild. So have your transmission serviced to make sure it is up to pulling the load. Cheep insurance. By the way his daughter is getting the truck and he is getting a new one. So perhaps you might not want to....!

SNOKING

Having owned a 2004 Buick Rainier with a 5.3 V8 and 3.73 for 17 years, I would NOT tow a TT with it. Although it is a heavy little body on frame vehicle it has a fairly short wheel base. And it is not a very wide vehicle.

The GMT 360 chassis is just wrong in my book for TT towing.