Cyclone - Dometic A/C throwing E1 code after lighting strike nearby

Just had a lightning storm near my home. My Cyclone 3600 was plugged in to 50 amp service. Now my mid and rear A/C thermostats read "E1" error. I have heard this can be a comms plug issue to the top of the unit. Should I remove the cover and look? Have only had the RV since September. Currently have the shore power disconnected and the battery off.

Last edited by a moderator:

wdk450

A. I would call Dometic service for advice.

B. I would call your insurance adjuster.

wdk450

With lightning all bets can be off as to electrical wiring protection, but I believe that most of the RV rig electrical protection with surge suppressors give insurance support for RV connected electrical devices.

I have the Progressive Industries HW-50C wired in EMS box. I don't experience much lightning, mainly staying in California. About 3 years ago I was at TT Lake of the Springs in the Sierra foothills near Marysville, and there was an evening thunderstorm. Well there was a lightning flash in the area, and before I could hear the thunder boom, I heard the thump of my EMS power relay disconnecting the shorepower from the rig, then re-connecting after the normal 30 second delay (to protect air conditioning compressors).

My point: if you don't already have an RV electrical system protection device, it is well worth having one.

esscobra

a few months back we had bad lightning storm, storage lot is right next to public works office- hit right to my 3760- have some chips and small dent from flying debris - worker there thought it hit my trailer- fried electric gate an card access system- several rvs as had converters blown a other issues- I have the progressive and also the snap pads which I believe saved my trailer from any systems damage- batteries were dead from inverter -( this was 4 as before leaving ) and was worried when went to pick up unit and had no power- luckily other than some minor paint chips everything worked- and I credit not only the progressive but the snap pads - as they acted as an insulator much like the tires

I have a mobile repair guy (Dometic Rep) heading out to look at my rig today (http://www.hamptonroadsrv.com/). I am going to have him look everything over. Besides the two A/C control boards being bad, I think I may have an issue with my fuel pumping station timer (red light stays on at all times now). I also had to recalibrate my leveling system. The lightning hit a tree near my yard and I am beginning to believe the "charge" came up through my landing gear.

jbeletti

Not yet! They are on order now though!!

:) Yeah, was curious. There are two schools of thought here. One is that having the additional electrical grounding by having the metal jack feet on the ground is better. The other school of thought is that the ground through the electrical system is sufficient and insulating the jack feet from the ground with wood or rubber is better. Who's right? Who knows?

That said, I like the other features of Snap Pads and have had them on 2 coaches now.