Hail Damage

alsams

For folks who live in the Denver area, last week was a dramatic weather week. Monday night we had up to baseball sized hail. Luckily the vehicles were in the garage as the neighbors vehicles suffered broken windshields and badly dimpled bodies. Our brand new Cyclone 4270 didn't fair as well. All the vent covers were broken. In one case, the hail stone went through the cover, pushed out the screen underneath and then fell to the floor. For the vents, I already have the replacement vent covers and will replace them myself. The roof is still intact and on the flat roof surface, there appears to be no damage at all. The curved edges of the roof were dented by hail although after a thorough inspection, it appears the roof membrane was not punctured. My question is does anyone know how the curved section of the roof on the sides is formed? Is it aluminum or Styrofoam or something else underneath the membrane? While there are now dents, the dents feel solid as if the curved edges are formed with aluminum. I've attached a couple of pictures although they aren't very good because the lighting was not good. I'm trying to decide if i need to have an adjuster come out and look at it or not. Any advice would be appreciated.

Al

Attachments

• IMG_2512[1].jpg
    IMG_2512[1].jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_2511[1].jpg
    IMG_2511[1].jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 134

jbeletti

Al,

Sorry to hear about your hail damage. We're in Colorado Springs - so we know hail too.

The radius along the long sides are aluminum (last I knew) and are hollow in the sense that that are not formed over anything. Inside the hollow, it's a conduit of sorts in some sections for electrical wiring in the roof (AC, DC, Coax etc.).

I am not sure what effect that hail of that size has on EPDM rubber or the substrate beneath it. I'd think it's been weakened considerably, even though a visual inspection seems okay.

Consider appealing to the adjuster for a new roof. I'd suggest you try one where they remove all items from the roof, remove the membrane, then add another thin layer of wood followed by a spray on roof system. There are a couple of competing systems out there. I've seen the finished result and they are amazing. I don't think hail will affect them either.

- RV Armor

- Flex Armor

alsams

Al,

Sorry to hear about your hail damage. We're in Colorado Springs - so we know hail too.

The radius along the long sides are aluminum (last I knew) and are hollow in the sense that that are not formed over anything. Inside the hollow, it's a conduit of sorts in some sections for electrical wiring in the roof (AC, DC, Coax etc.).

I am not sure what effect that hail of that size has on EPDM rubber or the substrate beneath it. I'd think it's been weakened considerably, even though a visual inspection seems okay.

Consider appealing to the adjuster for a new roof. I'd suggest you try one where they remove all items from the roof, remove the membrane, then add another thin layer of wood followed by a spray on roof system. There are a couple of competing systems out there. I've seen the finished result and they are amazing. I don't think hail will affect them either.

- RV Armor

- Flex Armor

Jim,
Thank you for information and suggestion. I have submitted a claim with my insurance agent. We'll see what happens.

Regards,
Al

sengli

Wow that is terrible. You need one of these to cover your rig.

Attachments

• IMAG0032.jpg
    IMAG0032.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 45

alsams

Wow that is terrible. You need one of these to cover your rig.

I agree 100%. We have the advantage of being able store it on our property so a cover makes sense. I had already been looking at covers like that but now I will get more serious about it. The good news is I just talked to our insurance agent and it looks like they are going to replace the full roof. Awesome!

Al

jbeletti

I agree 100%. We have the advantage of being able store it on our property so a cover makes sense. I had already been looking at covers like that but now I will get more serious about it. The good news is I just talked to our insurance agent and it looks like they are going to replace the full roof. Awesome!

Al

Great news. Check into Flex Armor. I have a Heartlander staying on our RV pad right now and they have it and love it. If you want to take a drive down to Colorado Springs to look at it, let me know.

alsams

Great news. Check into Flex Armor. I have a Heartlander staying on our RV pad right now and they have it and love it. If you want to take a drive down to Colorado Springs to look at it, let me know.

Thanks. I may take you up on that offer. I already looked at RV Armor's website and will look at Flex Armor as well. Nice to have options!

TexasTraveler2017

We had the http://rvroof.com RV Flex Armor sprayed on our rig as a preventative measure and so far love it.

We had it done at the Denton, Texas location and they were great to work with. They even installed my solar panel mounts and junction box before spraying so that it would be sealed with the roof.

3ea990d7f606c847d10466c1b2941a9d.jpg

bd68ef1e1896b368e00914eec341b5b0.jpg
9d5dc9ce77c13dcd374dd1eded79c3c0.jpg

c8a457ebb67d2d37ea5d9fb966ed7a8b.jpg

00499a0cee9f5418166b2daca5bd5471.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Wow! Looks great! Can you give a ballpark cost?

TexasTraveler2017

Wow! Looks great! Can you give a ballpark cost?

It was $160/linear foot when I originally got a quote. The price went up when I finally got it scheduled earlier this year, but they honored the quote they gave me last July. I had them quote 39 feet and when they measured, the actual length ended up at 38.5 ft. So it was right around $6000.