Poor Customer Service at General RV (Seffner, FL)

carl.swoyer

I stopped at General RV in Sefner FL. I was not happy with there approach to having service done.
They are an authorized Heartland dealer. However if I needed to have any work done to my Landmark Rushmore they wouldn't work on it because I purchased it from someone else.
That being said, how can Heartland allow this kind of treatment to a Heartland owner.
I think that Heartland customer service should look into this.
3f941492c9e73282374aa3475c4363b9.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

danemayer

Re: Poor Customer Service.

Carl,

The problem in the RV industry is that RV dealers can switch manufacturers easily, and there are many competing manufacturers, so they have some advantage in the contract negotiations with manufacturers. As a result, Heartland cannot compel dealers to service trailers bought at a different dealership. They can only compel the selling dealer to work on what he sold.

Combine that with dealer service departments being overwhelmed with getting newly sold trailers out the door, and the long service wait times on the units which they do service.

And with internet sales, many dealers try to protect their pricing by telling prospective buyers that they only service what they sell. They're blunt - if you want to save money buying elsewhere - expect to get it serviced elsewhere too.

All this to say, many of us recommend using independent service shops or mobile service where they live and die on their service reputation.

carl.swoyer

Carl,

The problem in the RV industry is that RV dealers can switch manufacturers easily, and there are many competing manufacturers, so they have some advantage in the contract negotiations with manufacturers. As a result, Heartland cannot compel dealers to service trailers bought at a different dealership. They can only compel the selling dealer to work on what he sold.

Combine that with dealer service departments being overwhelmed with getting newly sold trailers out the door, and the long service wait times on the units which they do service.

And with internet sales, many dealers try to protect their pricing by telling prospective buyers that they only service what they sell. They're blunt - if you want to save money buying elsewhere - expect to get it serviced elsewhere too.

All this to say, many of us recommend using independent service shops or mobile service where they live and die on their service reputation.
Dane, I understand all of what you said.
I guess I was disappointed with the new buyers experience. The idea that a new Heartland customer may be greatly disappointed should they be in need of service and turned away from a dealer with that policy.
Your very correct.

NYSUPstater

Happened to me last year w/ our BC. Newly opened BC dealer wouldn't even look at ours for their 1st question to me right away was, "Did you buy it from us?". Then they go on a spiel about how NYS hasn't sent them their repair license yet and can only work on units they sold (at least at that point----haven't been back). Mentioned this to HL and was told they've heard the same thing. Quite aggravating. What if you're passing thru and have a problem? Guess your SOL. Car dealers don't do that.

carl.swoyer

Happened to me last year w/ our BC. Newly opened BC dealer wouldn't even look at ours for their 1st question to me right away was, "Did you buy it from us?". Then they go on a spiel about how NYS hasn't sent them their repair license yet and can only work on units they sold (at least at that point----haven't been back). Mentioned this to HL and was told they've heard the same thing. Quite aggravating. What if you're passing thru and have a problem? Guess your SOL. Car dealers don't do that.
Exactly my point.
I'm certain that Heartland must be able to make arrangements.

avvidclif

If you're passing thru and have a problem contact Heartland and see if they can recommend a service center or mobile service. That is if it's in warranty. They're really not hard to deal with.

carl.swoyer

If you're passing thru and have a problem contact Heartland and see if they can recommend a service center or mobile service. That is if it's in warranty. They're really not hard to deal with.
I've been dealing with Heartland customer service for 6.5 years never a problem.

wdk450

If you have a negative experience with an RV service department, make a negative review on RVServiceReviews.com I think it is a good idea for prospective buyers to also look at their prospective dealer's service reputation on RVServiceReviews.com before buying.

I bought from a Heartland dealer in Sacramento that went out of business. When I went to the new dealer that had the Heartland line in Sacramento, they gave me the same "If you didn't buy it here, we won't service it" line of garbage. Luckily I had found a couple of great local independent RV servicers who worked with Heartland Service on warranty issues.

DaveTyler

At least these dealers are telling the truth. Jim Dykes was here and one AC went out on his Big Horn. Out of warranty but Jim had extended warranty. Mobile service guy checked out and in two days came and replaced unit. Did good job and on site. There are good folks there. When mine was in warranty always had good luck with Heartland and their service folks. Ron scareberry the best. The younger one. Always appreciated him and his coworkers. DaveTyler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave10a

I would think this would give a marketing advantage to independed and moble service organizations that will provide service to anyone. Dealers that will not service units that they did not sell should be put on notice. I don't like the word boycott, but they make it difficult not to use that kind of vocabulary. Florida in particular has an abundance of great independent/mobile service groups that do excellent work. I am sure other areas of the country do as well. I think this could turn into a buisness oportunity for an enterprizing individual.