Blowout on Landmark

Possum51

Here we sit for over 3 1/2 hours waiting to get this tire changed. Of course it tore up the side of the trailer! Problem is we are living in the trailer now. Last time we had a blow out like this (different trailer) it was in the shop for 6-7 months! This time there are electrical wires dangling and maybe the hydraulic lines!

All four of these tires have strange wear patterns. Can’t figure out what has caused all this cupping! Has anyone had a problem like this? These tires came on our Landmark and we have been very careful keeping the correct tire pressure. We have had them balanced also. They are Goodyear G114. It was suppose to be an upgraded tire.

Now after only 3 years (we just went full timing one month ago) it is going to cost $2500!!!

We are NOT happy campers!!!

danemayer

Goodyear will pay for the tire and body damage caused by a G114 failure and I think they'll pay for a couple of days in a motel while you have the body work and painting done.

Call 800-322-4682 (Goodyear property damage claims) to open a claim. They'll want the failed tire shipped back by taking it to a Goodyear dealer.

You should try to get a mobile servicer to handle the non-body repairs. I expect GY will reimburse all that too.

carl.swoyer

Goodyear will pay for the tire and body damage caused by a G114 failure and I think they'll pay for a couple of days in a motel while you have the body work and painting done.

Call 800-322-4682 (Goodyear property damage claims) to open a claim. They'll want the failed tire shipped back by taking it to a Goodyear dealer.

You should try to get a mobile servicer to handle the non-body repairs. I expect GY will reimburse all that too.
Dane,
How does good year determine that it's there responsibility?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

danemayer

Dane,
How does good year determine that it's there responsibility?

They do inspect the failed tire. But I don't think they quibble and I've never seen a report where a claim was rejected. My guess is that on the G614 and G114, the main concern is to protect their reputation.

On my G614, they reimbursed $552 to have roadside assistance replace a 4 year old tire that had 40,000 miles on it. No pro-rating, no back and forth. They just paid the entire bill. Approval came within just a few days of sending the tire back through a local retailer. And they also paid much more to fix the body damage and paint. And they would have paid motel charges if necessary.

That's why when shopping trailer tires, you have to give GY consideration, even at their much higher price.

RickL

Having worked for Goodyear for 17 yrs and 2 yrs as a Goodyear dealer I can tell you that if there is clear evidence of an outside influence that created the failure Goodyear will not cover it. However, if the failure cannot be clearly determined Goodyear always would give the customer the benefit of the doubt.

The important thing is that they get the failed tire, the customer stays rational, and there are not any demands such as “you’ll pay for this, you’ll pay for that”. Best is to talk to customer service, explain what happened, and take pictures of the remaining tires and have them available to send to them.

carl.swoyer

They do inspect the failed tire. But I don't think they quibble and I've never seen a report where a claim was rejected. My guess is that on the G614 and G114, the main concern is to protect their reputation.

On my G614, they reimbursed $552 to have roadside assistance replace a 4 year old tire that had 40,000 miles on it. No pro-rating, no back and forth. They just paid the entire bill. Approval came within just a few days of sending the tire back through a local retailer. And they also paid much more to fix the body damage and paint. And they would have paid motel charges if necessary.

That's why when shopping trailer tires, you have to give GY consideration, even at their much higher price.
Dane, my Landmark came stock with the g614. I feel that they are a very good quality. Good info though.

hoefler

The cupping on the tires is an alignment issue, you have bent axles that need to be repaired or replaced. It is possible that is the root cause for your tire failure.

RickL

Cupping generally isn’t an alignment issue. Cupping occurs typically as a result of the tire not staying in constant contact with the ground. Alignment issues are usually when you have a wear pattern that is consistent around the circumference of the tire.

Without actually seeing the tires I would venture to guess the irregular wear pattern is incorrect air pressure and/or the shocks not being able to control the spring oscillation. Could also be the play in the wheel bearings.

dave10a

Are the bearings ok? loose or failed bearings cause chirping. Then there is the suspension components. They need to be checked as well.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Pat and Elaine,

Don't you guys have the MorRyde IS? If so, it probably needs to be aligned and from what I hear, this is something that needs to be done periodically with the IS system.

Rod

Possum51

Thank you everyone for your advice on this. I talked to Goodyear on the phone (thank you Dan for the number) and she said please don’t contact your insurance agent we will take care of all the damage including all the tires!! After taking it to a Goodyear store this morning he said it was “tread separation” that caused the blowout. All four tires have it! So Goodyear will replace all of them. Wow! We are very happy with Goodyear and will continue to buy their tires even if they are a little bit more than other tires. Their customer service is phenomenal! No questions or problems with them. Now we have to drive the trailer to the shop with 3 very scary tires on it!!

DickO

We had cupping on our Bighorn last year. The rear axle was bent. NO idea how it happened.

Grampafish

Washington Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thank you everyone for your advice on this. I talked to Goodyear on the phone (thank you Dan for the number) and she said please don’t contact your insurance agent we will take care of all the damage including all the tires!! After taking it to a Goodyear store this morning he said it was “tread separation” that caused the blowout. All four tires have it! So Goodyear will replace all of them. Wow! We are very happy with Goodyear and will continue to buy their tires even if they are a little bit more than other tires. Their customer service is phenomenal! No questions or problems with them. Now we have to drive the trailer to the shop with 3 very scary tires on it!!

WOW Pat and Elaine.....what a pain to have to go through this...especially since you are "full-timing", but BRAVO to GoodYear for taking care of you and covering all the damage!!! AMAZING! Glad to know that there are companies out there that still believe in CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!

Glad you're both ok!

Hugs to you both :eek:

porthole

Retired
Having worked for Goodyear for 17 yrs and 2 yrs as a Goodyear dealer I can tell you that if there is clear evidence of an outside influence that created the failure Goodyear will not cover it. However, if the failure cannot be clearly determined Goodyear always would give the customer the benefit of the doubt.

The important thing is that they get the failed tire, the customer stays rational, and there are not any demands such as “you’ll pay for this, you’ll pay for that”. Best is to talk to customer service, explain what happened, and take pictures of the remaining tires and have them available to send to them.

The good thing with the G-614 and G-114 is we do not have to deal with Goodyear “tire” people.

Goodyear Property Damage division, and when we had our blowout the only thing they seemed interested in was making us whole.

I had no tire left, only the beads and some shreds of the sidewall.
My tires were 5 years and 2 months by date code but 4 years and 7 months by purchase, they didn’t seem to care about that either.

They paid for 5 tires (all purchased the same time), including the campsite pickup and delivery, one wheel that was scuffed up, body work and decals, my ‘custom mud flaps’ and my PVC flagpole holder that was mounted under the trialer.

My total was over $6200 and after the initial phone call all was taken care with email, never more then 24 hours for a response and once I signed off I had the check in a couple of days.

- - - Updated - - -

Pat and Elaine,

Don't you guys have the MorRyde IS? If so, it probably needs to be aligned and from what I hear, this is something that needs to be done periodically with the IS system.

Rod

The way The IS is aligned (shims), unless you bend some rather large pieces of steel, I don’t see why there would be a need for periodic alignment.
There is nothing to move out of alignment unless you hit something.

- - - Updated - - -

Don’t forget to add your spare to the claim !

Cage427

Just had a blowout yesterday that did considerable damage. G-614 tires - same situation as you had - can you please supply me with the Goodyear Customer Service #. Appreciation.