MorRyde SRE 4000 suspension -- jury still out

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Last year we had the SRE 4000 installed by MorRyde in Elkhart, along with some Bilstein shocks. On our return home to Texas, 2 of the shocks failed, and the two others looked to be leaking. We could not pinpoint the exact cause, so we replaced with standard trailer shocks. After less than 4K miles, two of those shocks had failed as well, and we had two broken wet bolts on the rear springs.

After discussing these incidents with MorRyde and sending pics, they are recommending removal of the shocks entirely.

We'll see how this works this upcoming weekend, as we take a 3 hour trip.

If anyone else has the SRE 4000 system, please report how it's working for you?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYSUPstater

Interesting as there is a thread on TL Forum about CRE 3 & 4 series and how 1 poster rants w/ praise about the 4000. Tho our BC came thru w/ the 3000, aren't the 4000's rated for a higher GVW? If not, why not go w/ the 4000's right at the factory? However too, the 3000's can't be all that bad as a lot of mfr's are making them standard issue. So what's the main diff between the 3 & 4 ?

As for the shocks. Different angles on shock piston causing the seal to go south perhaps?

TravelTiger

Interesting as there is a thread on TL Forum about CRE 3 & 4 series and how 1 poster rants w/ praise about the 4000. Tho our BC came thru w/ the 3000, aren't the 4000's rated for a higher GVW? If not, why not go w/ the 4000's right at the factory? However too, the 3000's can't be all that bad as a lot of mfr's are making them standard issue. So what's the main diff between the 3 & 4 ?

As for the shocks. Different angles on shock piston causing the seal to go south perhaps?

The lowest Bid gets the contract I suspect is why all units get the 3000.

The difference between the 3000 and 4000:

CRE3000
Provides 3" of Suspension Travel
Protects from damaging road shock
Unique travel slot for increased wheel travel
Easy bolt-on installation
2 Year warranty
Tested and rated for use with up to 8K axles

SRE4000
Provides 4" of suspension travel
3 year warranty
Tested and rated for 5200 to
7000 lb axles

Speedy

I thought the SRE 4000 came with the extra framing that is bolted/welded to the frame. I think I need to research this again because all these running gear failures are keeping me a wake during the day.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

The lowest Bid gets the contract I suspect is why all units get the 3000.

The difference between the 3000 and 4000:

CRE3000
Provides 3" of Suspension Travel
Unique travel slot for increased wheel travel
2 Year warranty
Tested and rated for use with up to 8K axles

SRE4000
Provides 4" of suspension travel
3 year warranty
Tested and rated for 5200 to
7000 lb axles

Interesting info Erika, Thanks.. I would have thought the 4000 to be a higher rating then the 3000..
I know one thing the factory shocks and their mounting potion is just about useless. I don't think you'll notice much difference with or without them. I did the JOY RIDER shock system on my Landmark and I'm pretty happy with it. You might want to consider going that route.

Jerrod

TravelTiger

I thought the SRE 4000 came with the extra framing that is bolted/welded to the frame. I think I need to research this again because all these running gear failures are keeping me a wake during the day.

John, the SRE4000 does come with the "X factor" cross bracing for use on the center hanger, where the equalizer is. I forgot, and this was copied direct from their web page of "features"

TravelTiger

Interesting info Erika, Thanks.. I would have thought the 4000 to be a higher rating then the 3000..
I know one thing the factory shocks and their mounting potion is just about useless. I don't think you'll notice much difference with or without them. I did the JOY RIDER shock system on my Landmark and I'm pretty happy with it. You might want to consider going that route.

Jerrod

Jerrod, are you using any aftermarket equalizer system? What does yours have?

I am fearful of adding a component until we can isolate whether or not the SRE 4000 is installed/working as it's supposed to. (I cannot afford to throw any more money at this... for the money we've spent I need to know, it either smooths the ride better than before, or it doesn't.)

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh

I am fearful of adding a component until we can isolate whether or not the SRE 4000 is installed/working as it's supposed to. (I cannot afford to throw any more money at this... for the money we've spent I need to know, it either smooths the ride better than before, or it doesn't.)

I am interested in your experience with the shocks off. I am thinking of replacing ours already but am not sure what to get. I was also thinking of having the mounts moved to make the shocks more effective.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I have the Dexter equalizers

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Gary521

I was interested in the SRE4000 system. I called Morryde and they told me that the 4000 is an upgrade to the 3000 because of the length of suspension travel. He said that the 3000 was an "entry " level system. He said to take off the stock shocks. I suspect that the longer suspension travel is the culprit in destroying the shocks. The stock shocks might even be retarding the length of travel on the 4000 system but that is just a guess. I have held off on the purchase of the 4000 because of an earlier post that you had on the subject.

dave10a

The
SRE4000 is standard equipment on some trailers like Jayco. They don't seem to be having any issues with them.

NYSUPstater

Do the 4000's raise the rear of trailer or overall height? Don't meant to sound stupid, but what gains would be had by switching to the 4000 from the 3000?

TravelTiger

Do the 4000's raise the rear of trailer or overall height? Don't meant to sound stupid, but what gains would be had by switching to the 4000 from the 3000?

Yes the 4000 did raise it. They measured our highest point of the front AC before we pulled out, it was 13'4.5". We since have had to raise our hitch head height because the rig was seemed to be towing a little nose low, about 1" lower in front compared to back when measured at the j-wrap. so I am not sure exact height at this point.

We had the Dexter Equalizers on our rig previously. We upgraded to help ease the rear bounce that was occurring -- our 4010RD has quite a lot of coach beyond the rear axles.