Smart Thermostat

Buckeye

Does anyone know of a thermostat that can be remotely controlled when you are away from you RV ? Thanks in advance. Jim

emery395

I use one in my house that connects WiFi to my router. I control it through my free iPhone app. The thermostat is Honeywell and sells for about $100 at Home Depot. It requires 24 v dc which I did not have so I had to buy plug in power supply for under $ 10 on Amazon

Buckeye

The campground where our RV is located has pretty good WiFi. I assume that this thermostat can be connected to their wifi? Thanks for the help.

danemayer

The campground where our RV is located has pretty good WiFi. I assume that this thermostat can be connected to their wifi? Thanks for the help.
It's more likely to depend on the WiFi at the park. For example, TengoInternet installations require authentication of the device MAC address via a coupon code entered by browser interface. Since thermostats are unlikely to have a browser interface, it's unlikely that you would be able to authenticate to Tengo. They have an alternate method where they will enter your MAC address manually for $14.95 per week. You can resolve this by purchasing a WISP capable router for your RV. The router gets authenticated via your computer and the thermostat connects to the router along with your other equipment.

Other campgrounds may use WiFi where you connect and enter a key (password), just as you would with a home router. The thermostat would probably work in that situation.

I've been to campgrounds that allow 1 device to connect, or maybe 2. Another campground charges by the day or week, per device. Another campground has password-based access, but kicks you off every 2 hours and requires you to reconnect manually.

They're all different.

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
Does anyone know of a thermostat that can be remotely controlled when you are away from you RV ? Thanks in advance. Jim

Jim, did you ever get an answer? Is there a smart thermostat that would replace the current dometic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buckeye

Not really received a definitive answer. Biggest problem is the unreliability of the WIFI at the RV park. Some thermostats will automatically reconnect some will not. My son and daughter in law have one at their house and it " learns" their habits and adjusts the temperature on it's own. It probably listens in on their conversations as well. LOL