Norcold 2118SS cooling challenges

kbausano

We are aware of the many people who have posted previously regarding difficulties keeping RV-style fridges cool, especially in hot weather. In that regard, and armed with a new dual transmitter wireless thermometer, I thought I would check our rig before heading out on the road again next week.

I’ve checked the venting pathways of our slide-mounted Norcold unit, and all is clear. All 3 computer fans run. Flap closes completely (dollar bill test passed).

After running all day from a cool start this morning, I just checked interior coach temps (104 degrees - no a/c on for this stress test). My freezer temp shows 24 degrees - not bad in this heat, and empty. The problem is, the main compartment is showing 84 degrees.

We have been told a 20 degree drop is pretty good - but clearly all our non-frozen food would die at these temps.

Thoughts? Would it help to add even more airflow by adding larger fans? How about a small additional fan inside the main compartment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary521

A 20 degree drop is not pretty good. The 20 degree thing refers to the air conditioner not the fridge. Yes, adding large fans to the top of the compartment back of the fridge will help a lot. There are lots of youtube videos showing how to do this. There is another thing to check and that is the thermistor which is attached to the cooling fins inside of the fridge.

kbausano

A 20 degree drop is not pretty good. The 20 degree thing refers to the air conditioner not the fridge. Yes, adding large fans to the top of the compartment back of the fridge will help a lot. There are lots of youtube videos showing how to do this. There is another thing to check and that is the thermistor which is attached to the cooling fins inside of the fridge.

Would a thermistor problem yield such wide differences between freezer and fridge sections?

RoadJunkie

I’m not sure if the temperature feedback sensor on the inside cooling fins is a thermistor, thermocouple or RTD, but physical position does appear to be critical. Where is yours located? Check the position of your sensor as compared to factory recommendations.

danemayer

Before you go too far, I'd suggest checking for air leaks, or perhaps the flap between doors not closing. 84 degrees sounds like either a major air leak, or a major failure of the cooling system.

Gary521

Would a thermistor problem yield such wide differences between freezer and fridge sections?

That I am not sure about. When I was concerned about my fridge, I just replaced the thermistor anyway. They are not expensive. Something is yours is not working properly. While added fans help a lot not sure they would help that much in your case.

kbausano

That I am not sure about. When I was concerned about my fridge, I just replaced the thermistor anyway. They are not expensive. Something is yours is not working properly. While added fans help a lot not sure they would help that much in your case.

I’m my case, I do appear to have 3 OEM fans working - so I am a bit perplexed.

Update as of this morning (after running all night): interior of coach 82 degrees, freezer 14, fridge section 41

Lou_and_Bette

Another source of air leakage can come from the drainage tube that should be hanging outside one of the vents. The source of this drainage is a small cup like collector high up on the interior wall of the refer compartment. Where the tube terminates on the outside end, there should be a small, ventilated cap. This cap allows water out and prevents hot air from entering. If yours, is missing, you can either find a replacement cap or put a small bend in the tube forming sort of a “p” trap.

kbausano

Before you go too far, I'd suggest checking for air leaks, or perhaps the flap between doors not closing. 84 degrees sounds like either a major air leak, or a major failure of the cooling system.

Flap is closing correctly (have run into that problem before). However, there is a bit less ‘resistance’ on the dollar bill challenge towards the top of the door, than the bottom. Any known adjustment for that?

RoadJunkie

Are the cooling fins inside the refrigerator section getting cold? I seem to recall some folks had to put/replace a washer on the door hinge to solve a cooling problem. Are the top of both doors aligned at the top? Has the unit ever worked correctly? Was the rig recently washed and could the control board have gotten wet? The topic of cooling problems has come up many times and, if you haven’t already done so, try searching the forum for resolution ideas.