RV50 Amp outlet from welder plug

Roller4tan

A friend has a welder circuit in his shop. I know this only has to hots and a ground, no neutral. He's pretty fussy and won't allow a hard wired rv50 outlet. Can an adapter be made to pull from the welder circuit by pigtailing the neutral from another 30Amp outlet? So welder plug 2 hots and ground to rv50 with a separate 8g wire out of the rv50 neutral post to a polarized male plug to be inserted into a regular outlet on a 30A circuit. Only one wire would be on that plug to get the neutral to the rv50. Neutral and ground ARE bonded in the breaker box. And I realize that the outlet has to be checked for hot and neutral polarity on that circuit so as to not add another hot line.
Could there be any unwanted feedback to the welder or other circuit? I have the Progressive EMS hardwired in the fiver.

porthole

Retired
The simple answer is no, and why take the risk.

Either run the power correctly or not at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Besides, if he really is that fussy, he won' let you do what you are suggesting anyway.

danemayer

You're risking that the neutral line on the 30 amp receptacle will function as a suitable return for your two 50 amp legs. If it's not completely effective, there could be a partial neutral loss, causing extensive damage to your coach. Unless you know exactly what's behind the wall, you probably can't fully evaluate the risk.

In addition, I would think what you propose would not comply with electrical code. If there were damage to your coach or to the building, no insurance would cover damage resulting from a code violation.

If your friend is fussy about installing a proper receptacle, I can't imagine he'd be ok with what you're proposing.

57chevyconvt

You're risking that the neutral line on the 30 amp receptacle will function as a suitable return for your two 50 amp legs. If it's not completely effective, there could be a partial neutral loss, causing extensive damage to your coach. Unless you know exactly what's behind the wall, you probably can't fully evaluate the risk.

In addition, I would think what you propose would not comply with electrical code. If there were damage to your coach or to the building, no insurance would cover damage resulting from a code violation.

If your friend is fussy about installing a proper receptacle, I can't imagine he'd be ok with what you're proposing.

I agree with Dan. At 50 amp RV plug has two 110 volt legs, one neutral, and one ground. All of which are to come/originate directly from the main supply/breaker box and not from a 220 volt welding outlet.