Reese Airborne Premium Air Ride Coupler

mganoe

Is anyone running the 1621 equivalent of this kingpin? I need to know the straightline measurement of the assembly to determine if it can run inside my bed rails without contacting the sides. I am currently running a Flex Air and I think the overall length of the kingpin is longer which is causing contact issues and forcing me to run the trailer nose high to eliminate contact.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

SLO

Sorry I’m not answering your question. I have the Sidewinder version of that Reese pin box. Then you don’t have to worry about the bed rail clearance. But the weight rating is not as high.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mganoe

The weight rating was really my only concern since it's only rated for 16k. That being my original was only 16k as well, but when I bought the Flex Air I went with the 18k just in case I was a little heavy.

Have you had any issues with yours?

mganoe

Did the kingpin sit down far inside the bed rails? I'm thinking I'll just need to call etrailer and ask them to take some measurements for me to know for sure.
I have used a 5th airborne on 99 to 19 ford super duty with no problem

SLO

The weight rating was really my only concern since it's only rated for 16k. That being my original was only 16k as well, but when I bought the Flex Air I went with the 18k just in case I was a little heavy.

Have you had any issues with yours?

My trailer is 16k gvwr. Been using Reese airborne sidewinder for 6 years. Haven’t had a problem. I bought it for the sidewinder though. I have a short bed.

mganoe

My trailer is 16k gvwr. Been using Reese airborne sidewinder for 6 years. Haven’t had a problem. I bought it for the sidewinder though. I have a short bed.

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

NYSUPstater

I have a 5th Airborne and no problems w/ truck box rails (on a '15 F350 SB & '17 F350 LB dually). I called Reese before getting the 5th AB to see which AB to go with as I too have a 16K GVW RV. Am a touch nose high, but good to go. If anything, I have to watch out on the tonneau cover rails as they stick up approx 1-1.5 " above the box rails. So far so good.

mganoe

I have a 5th Airborne and no problems w/ truck box rails (on a '15 F350 SB & '17 F350 LB dually). I called Reese before getting the 5th AB to see which AB to go with as I too have a 16K GVW RV. Am a touch nose high, but good to go. If anything, I have to watch out on the tonneau cover rails as they stick up approx 1-1.5 " above the box rails. So far so good.
That's good to hear. I tried calling etrailer, but they have no idea on the measurements, so I then tried calling Reese and was on hold forever. Perhaps I'll try again on my way home from work and see if I have more luck at the end of the day.

I'm running on a 14 3500 drw myself that is slightly modified, which is why I need the kingpin inside the rails a bit more than normal.

mganoe

Curious does your kingpin actually ride below the rails, or is it slightly above?

CDN

B and B
My Sidewinder 16 k on 16 k gross Bighorn on a Reese Elite 18 k hitch rides below the top of the rails. Ho issues with turns and clearance in a F350 SRW 2016 SD.

mganoe

Ok so etrailer had no clue and after being on hold with Reese for literally an hour I finally spoke with someone. The measurement from the center of the pin to the back bolts on the pin box are 25 5/8". The only thing I don't know is how much material they leave from those center hole to the very back of the kingpin. My current Flex Air seems like a lot at 3 1/2" compared to other trailers parked in the storage lot. Any chance someone running the Airborne might be able to let me know what theirs is?

Really don't want to spend the extra cash on the sidewinder if I don't need to.