Hot water heater power supply

bradapp

2018 Mallard m28. Looking for where the 12 volt power supply comes from for the hot water heater control board. I have 12 volt from the switch but no 12 volt supply. All fuses are good in the main panel. It's the Atwood dual dsi heater.
Thanks in advance.

jbeletti

2018 Mallard m28. Looking for where the 12 volt power supply comes from for the hot water heater control board. I have 12 volt from the switch but no 12 volt supply. All fuses are good in the main panel. It's the Atwood dual dsi heater.
Thanks in advance.

I can't say with certainty for the Mallard, but generally speaking:

Fuse Panel -> Switch -> Water Heater Control Board

Is your water heater in a slide room? If so, look for a junction box* on the frame under that slide room. Then remove the underbelly material at that point and look for DC wires (2-conductor zip wire with a colored tracer). As you have DC power at the switch inside the coach but not at the water heater, look for splices in the DC lines and confirm they are intact.

Tip: Reopen the switch and note the color of the wire jacket. That's what you are trying to track down further downline.

Note: All wiring (AC, DC, Coax etc.) in slide rooms are spliced somewhere in the coach (on the frame, inside the frame etc.) as the slide rooms are made separately and are pre-wired as they are being built with a long whip of wires that need to be spliced into the coach after the room has been inserted into it's hole in the side wall.

*Generally, a junction box on the frame is a splice point for AC wires to make the transition from Romex type solid conductor wire to SJOOW cord (flexible / stranded). In this instance (DC), no need to open the jbox.

danemayer

Atwood water heaters (and newer Suburbans) usually have a junction box mounted on the front surface of the water heater, inside the trailer. Not sure if that would be on the front of the water heater on a Mallard, but that's where it often is located. There's a relay inside the junction box for the 120V AC side, and probably some wire nuts for the 12V DC side.

bradapp

Thanks Jim. The water heater is in the front left, by the bedroom. The wires leave the heater going forward, then go who knows where. I did take the switch panel apart, but the switch wiring is all different colors than the attwood wiring diagram. so i am sure somewhere there is a j-box hidden. Thanks Dane, I will look there next. It appears that I will have to tear the drivers side bed table, nightstand thing apart if that's where the box is located. I was hoping to find the source first on the other end to see if that's where the loss is.

Brad