Level Up

rocrider50

Anyone have a video link or ever used the Level up system to remove a tire or manually adjust system? I am always nervous to start to manually change the right or left settings when the trailer is level and on then jacks. The videos I have found only address leveling. I wanted to change a tire and not sure/confident from the manuals how to jack up one side. Anyone done this? Does the right/left button move all three jacks on that side at the same time?

jbeletti

Anyone have a video link or ever used the Level up system to remove a tire or manually adjust system? I am always nervous to start to manually change the right or left settings when the trailer is level and on then jacks. The videos I have found only address leveling. I wanted to change a tire and not sure/confident from the manuals how to jack up one side. Anyone done this? Does the right/left button move all three jacks on that side at the same time?

The left/right buttons indeed move all 3 jacks on their respective sides. One jack will move, then another and another until the first jack foot touches the ground, then another will continue travel until it touches the ground and then the last until it touches the ground. Then all 3 jacks work at a comparable rate to lift that full side up. My observation/experience. And I have used LevelUp to change a tire. More than once.

rocrider50

The left/right buttons indeed move all 3 jacks on their respective sides. One jack will move, then another and another until the first jack foot touches the ground, then another will continue travel until it touches the ground and then the last until it touches the ground. Then all 3 jacks work at a comparable rate to lift that full side up. My observation/experience. And I have used LevelUp to change a tire. More than once.
What happens if the jacks are already down and level? Do you start over or will it move from there. I want to inspect the brakes, one side at a time.

jbeletti

What happens if the jacks are already down and level? Do you start over or will it move from there. I want to inspect the brakes, one side at a time.

So long as you still have stroke length, from a LevelUp position, you can continue to manually lift only one side.

Think of it this way... On a given RV site, there could be as much as 6" of slope side to side. When LevelUp levels you automatically on that side, the tires on the low side will be in the air. Similar to what you are proposing.

rocrider50

So long as you still have stroke length, from a LevelUp position, you can continue to manually lift only one side.

Think of it this way... On a given RV site, there could be as much as 6" of slope side to side. When LevelUp levels you automatically on that side, the tires on the low side will be in the air. Similar to what you are proposing.

Thanks, great system. Just don't want to drop it. :)

coltsdad

Texas-North Chapter Leaders-Retired
I raised my Bighorn up and left it almost two weeks with no problems when I put the wet bolts in and ordered new tires.

Attachments

• 20180425_200843.jpg
    20180425_200843.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 61

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
When I needed to raise mine I alternated left then right, left then right to maintain some semblance of level.

Kathi-27

we full time when we are at home base its sits on level system some times for 4 to 8 weeks. it settles alittle sometimes and have to adjust it. other than that have had no problem. when have to do maint on bearings or brake inspect put a bottle jack under axle u bolts and jack up axle that i'm working on while its main wt is on level system.

porthole

Retired

To add to JB's comment.

"If" your trailer is off the truck, e.g. disconnected and LevelUp used, the system will control all three jacks on each side as needed using the left or right buttons.

If you leave your truck and trailer connected you can still use the left and right buttons, but only the rear jacks will operate. The landing gear will remain retracted.

As you raise the trailer to clear the ground you can run into two scenarios.
One is 'out of stroke' the other is an angle issue (don't remember the exact term used).

The excessive angle issue is easily rectified by using the opposite side jacks to raise the trailer towards level. Alternate as needed to get the tires off the ground.
The 'out of stoke' message is just what it is, you ran out of stroke for the ram. Raise the jacks and add some wood blocks under the pads.

If you did the above procedure while disconnected and previously had leveled the trailer, when done just retract the rear jacks and hit the auto level button again. Just make sure anything under and close to the trailer is clear.

On the road - be prepared to have your wood blocks ready, especially if you are on the shoulder with a right side tire change.
Due to the crown on the roadway and the way most shoulders drop off, the odds are very good you will ruin out of stroke and you will have to alternate left and right to get the trailer up high enough.

The tires are heavy, the use of a 'tire spoon' is helpful.
Electric impacts are very helpful and don't forget your torque wrench.

I have done a tire change 3 times on the side of the road. Once you get your tools ready this is a 10-15 minute job, with the majority of time spent getting the spare down and back up.
Unless of course you have a nice State Trooper stand by and observe and hold the parts for you while you put everything away :rolleyes:

In the one picture here he is holding the hub cap for me and this is after the new tire is installed ......
https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...114-s-blow-out?p=416845&viewfull=1#post416845

- - - Updated - - -

And one more thing to add.

If you have never done this - practice it once or twice before you are on the side of the road with a blowout. You really can do a tire change in 10 minutes.

jbeletti

I agree with Duane on the 'side of the road tire change'. Done it a few times. The last time (a year ago), with a flat on the door side and pulled off onto the right side shoulder, I too ended up needing to add blocking under door side jack feet in order to get enough stroke length to get the spare tire on.

I have some short 8"x8" blocks that were cut-offs from a friend building a deck many years ago. I carry them with me to this day. Rarely use them but nice to have when needed :)

When I bought my Bighorn a few weeks ago one of the service guys said he was the only hydraulic level system guy for quite a distance. He said how people love to say you shouldn't let the jacks take all of the weight but that they are rated for exactly that. He described the tire change scenario to me and said all you have to do is drop the jacks on the side without the flat to the ground and then raise the other side of the trailer to lift your flat off the ground. Lower it a bit to prevent wheel spin to start tightening lug nuts, then auto retract all and finish tightening lug nuts. Made sense to me, but I haven't had to use the technique yet. In any case, he said its safe for one or both sides to be off the ground.

Good luck!
Ken