cyclone 4005 ground mount dish

emery395

Hoping to get advice from others with this model who have hooked up ground mounted dish for satellite.

1. Which coax port to use inside and outside?
2. Where did you place DVR box and run cables to and from it?

Also curious did your unit come with RCA blueray/surround sound unit and did it include a manual for it?

porthole

Retired
Re: cyclone 405 ground mount dish

Hoping to get advice from others with this model who have hooked up ground mounted dish for satellite.

1. Which coax port to use inside and outside?
2. Where did you place DVR box and run cables to and from it?

Also curious did your unit come with RCA blueray/surround sound unit and did it include a manual for it?

Some helpful hints I found while doing AV work on our Cyclone.
For starters, I found that although our's was wired with a quality coax, the connectors were the cheapest available and installed poorly.
There were multiple splitters used, and on the garage run there were splitters feeding multiple splitters.

Our bedroom never had the coax run for the SAT feed.

What I eventually did was buy a roll of quality SAT rated Belden coax (also used for re-doing our house) and the rewired compression connectors and tools.

The trailers are supposed to be wired with coax from the dock station to the bedroom and living room. There is also a second SAT coax that runs to the roof from the dock. The purpose of this run is that if you want a ground based antenna you hook directly to the coax port. If you want to use the roof top antenna you use a short jumper between those 2 coax ports in the dock.

You did not say what SAT system you are using.

The following is based on my DirecTV (DTV) SWiM SAT system that is not the newest wireless system.

Because the runs and hidden areas on the Cyclone are fairly easy to access, I replaced ALL of my coax except for the over the air antenna (OTA) to the over the air-cable in selector the bedroom.
Doing this eliminated all my fuzzy pictures regardless of using over the air, cable or SAT.

DirecTV requires coax home runs from the main entry point, e.g. splitter.

Dock refers to the docking station water utility cabinet.

Coax runs:
Dock to 4 way splitter right behind the dock, behind the basement wall.
Roof to 2nd dock port

(note #1 4 way splitter and power inserter are DirecTV branded items)
(note #2, the number of splitter ports is one more then needed for TV's, one port feeds the antenna)

DTV splitter to DTV power inserter
DTV splitter to bedroom TV
DTV splitter to living room TV
DTV splitter to garage TV

Since the Cyclone cabinets tend to be shallow, I placed my DTV DVR receiver vertically behind the living room TV. I used a plastic 2" angle as the shelf and used nylon straps to secure it to the wall. When I added the DTV OTA receiver I mounted it behind the receiver also vertically.

I added a 120 volt AC receptacle to the basement to feed the DTV power inserter and the DTV rooftop antenna control box. I put this receptacle right outside of the wall and attached to the basement ceiling. This allowed unplugging those items if desired.

This page shows my DTV receivers mounted behind my TV.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...t-disappointed?p=429437&viewfull=1#post429437

If you start at this page you can follow along on several things I did to get SAT TV working.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...t-disappointed?p=317228&viewfull=1#post317228

- - - Updated - - -

And to add - it is 50-50 that any of those coax ports are wired to where the label says :rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

On the link I provided showing the receivers mounted, the first picture is just the OTA receiver, the second shows the DTV DVR nested on top of the OTA.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...t-disappointed?p=429437&viewfull=1#post429437

emery395

Re: cyclone 405 ground mount dish

Porthole, thank you that was a great reply!

BTW I tried to alter the thread name because my unit is cyclone 4005 not 405. I see that you have a different rig than me. Mine also has narrow cabinets under tv and no wire chase so I will use your idea and mount my directtv drv behind tv.

Waiting for tech to come and install dish next to unit.

thanks again

porthole

Retired
BTW I tried to alter the thread name because my unit is cyclone 4005 not 405.

You can't alter the thread title, but you can change it on the subsequent posts.
Look at the title of my post here.

Only a moderator can change the thread title IIRC. If not it has to be the main Guru responsible for keeping this site flowing smoothly.

Last edited by a moderator: