November trip-NH to Disney

Ricktara

So, new trailer pulled by my f250, just my wife and I traveling. I planned a stop in Maryland, one in South Carolina and one visiting relatives near the villages in FL. Am I being too aggressive? I am good for all day driving but doubt my wife is but it fits our schedule. Should I add a stop and also need some suggestions about routing around NY And Washington with a 31 foot trailer.
thanks,
Rick

MCTalley

So, new trailer pulled by my f250, just my wife and I traveling. I planned a stop in Maryland, one in South Carolina and one visiting relatives near the villages in FL. Am I being too aggressive? I am good for all day driving but doubt my wife is but it fits our schedule. Should I add a stop and also need some suggestions about routing around NY And Washington with a 31 foot trailer.
thanks,
Rick

Not sure where you are in NH, but I did a Google map route from Concord, NH to College Park, MD (chosen at random) and it shows 484 miles. Personally, having to route around NY and Washington along with all that driving would be too much for me. I'd plan a stop somewhere between NH and MD, at least.

From College Park to mid-South Carolina is in the low 400's, mileage wise, as is mid-South Carolina to Florida. Neither should be terribly tiring, but as you get closer to Florida on I-95, I would expect more delays from summer travelers.

Ricktara

Not sure where you are in NH, but I did a Google map route from Concord, NH to College Park, MD (chosen at random) and it shows 484 miles. Personally, having to route around NY and Washington along with all that driving would be too much for me. I'd plan a stop somewhere between NH and MD, at least.

From College Park to mid-South Carolina is in the low 400's, mileage wise, as is mid-South Carolina to Florida. Neither should be terribly tiring, but as you get closer to Florida on I-95, I would expect more delays from summer travelers.
Thanks, we are near Rochester, NH and the stop is in Abington MD, 453 miles. I will consider restructuring the trip to add a day I guess, though I think I ill have more stamina on day one than later in trip.
Thanks

MCTalley

Thanks, we are near Rochester, NH and the stop is in Abington MD, 453 miles. I will consider restructuring the trip to add a day I guess, though I think I ill have more stamina on day one than later in trip.
Thanks

I guess it depends on traffic flow, but I'm picturing loads of traffic, multiple traffic jams, etc. on I-95 through that corridor. 450 miles could possibly take 12-16 hours. However, I've not been up that way in years, so you (or others on here) would be a better judge. You could shoot for it and be flexible, stopping partway if necessary.

Jeff_Nora_Hanna

Florida Chapter Leaders
Rick,
We just arrived home 3 weeks ago from Lenox, MA. Lenox is on hwy. 90 at the NY border. Here is my recommendation for a lighter traffic route.
When you come south pick up 84 west to 87 south. I've been on both, 87 south couple of weeks ago. Take 87 south to 287 south and connect to I-95 south. Couple of things. You'll need to take 695 around Baltimore since RV's are not allowed in the tunnel on I-95 through the city. In DC we stayed at Cherry Hill which is located in College Park, MD. We took 495 east around DC back to 95 south. Traffic seemed much lighter going this way. In fact my GPS showed all RED going west, all GREEN going east.
My son lives in Walterboro, SC, exit 57 on I-95 which is 69 miles north of Savannah, GA. We can make that trip to our home in Plant City, FL in a comfortable 7 hours. To get to the Villages I would shoot across I-10 to HWY 301 south to Hwy 326 West (approx. 3 miles across) to I-75 south. 301 is not a bad drive and I'm pulling 43' fifth wheel. This route keeps you east of the Gainesville traffic and north/west of the Ocala traffic. I've never had a reason to take hwy. 40 through the Ocala National Forest to hwy. 35/301 but my understanding is that this is a nice drive.

Gary521

thanks,
Rick

Yes.

Ricktara

Thanks all. I have redone the trip with an extra day, averaging 350 or so miles a day instead. Should make it easier. Also steering clear of NYC and D.C.
Thanks again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

thanks,
Rick
Why go through Washington?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

Why go through Washington?

We leave NH via rt 9 to Keene NH to 91s. To 84w to 81s to rt 66 to 17s to 95s to 10 west in Jacksonville FL to 301s. From there you can make it to the villages. A much nicer ride than going through NY and Washington. Sam's club in Wilkes Barre pa is one of the places we stay. We also stop at Bass Lake in Dixon SC. They accept passport America and it's quick on and off the highway.

Last edited:

NYSUPstater

If your travels take you thru Charlotte, NC & Orlando, be advised there is MAJOR construction on I-77 in Charlotte and I-4 in Orlando. BOTH DIRECTIONS! We just went to FL from Syracuse, NY and ave more/less 10 hrs/day, 400 miles+/-, stop every 200-250 miles (4-5 hrs) for fuel (based on calculated fuel stops). Course we have it easier than OP does for routing, but still took a lil doing.

carl.swoyer

If your travels take you thru Charlotte, NC & Orlando, be advised there is MAJOR construction on I-77 in Charlotte and I-4 in Orlando. BOTH DIRECTIONS! We just went to FL from Syracuse, NY and ave more/less 10 hrs/day, 400 miles+/-, stop every 200-250 miles (4-5 hrs) for fuel (based on calculated fuel stops). Course we have it easier than OP does for routing, but still took a lil doing.
We avoid the Charlotte area by taking hwy 66 in Front Royal Virginia to 95. A much nicer drive than Charlotte an no traffic.
We do spend the night in Front Royal and from there to 95 ... about one hour. Beautiful ride.

MCTalley

Per construction on I-4 in Orlando, you can bypass all that. If I were heading to Disney from The Villages, I would take the Florida Turnpike (get a SunPass tag at the first travel plaza or at most any Publix grocery store, or let them bill you by plate). Take the 429 (another toll road) south and exit on Western Way. Take Western Way east right onto Disney property and follow signs to wherever you're going (or use a GPS/Waze).

Optionally, take I-75 south to I-4 near Tampa and head up I-4 towards Orlando. Note that the extra fuel will (more than) offset any tolls you avoided (extra 70 miles). I still can't convince some people of this.

Give us a shout if you'll be in the Orlando area any week other than Thanksgiving week. We'll be around.

carl.swoyer

Per construction on I-4 in Orlando, you can bypass all that. If I were heading to Disney from The Villages, I would take the Florida Turnpike (get a SunPass tag at the first travel plaza or at most any Publix grocery store, or let them bill you by plate). Take the 429 (another toll road) south and exit on Western Way. Take Western Way east right onto Disney property and follow signs to wherever you're going (or use a GPS/Waze).

Optionally, take I-75 south to I-4 near Tampa and head up I-4 towards Orlando. Note that the extra fuel will (more than) offset any tolls you avoided (extra 70 miles). I still can't convince some people of this.

Give us a shout if you'll be in the Orlando area any week other than Thanksgiving week. We'll be around.
Mctally, I think the turnpike to Clermont FL would be the most direct route from the villages. We stay at the State Park ( Lake Louisa) right on rt 27. It about a 15 mile ride to Disney. The Florida Sunpass you can order on line and you stick it to the windshield. Mine has a small solar panel and works great.

MCTalley

Mctally, I think the turnpike to Clermont FL would be the most direct route from the villages. We stay at the State Park ( Lake Louisa) right on rt 27. It about a 15 mile ride to Disney. The Florida Sunpass you can order on line and you stick it to the windshield. Mine has a small solar panel and works great.

If you're heading to Lake Louisa then, yes, US 27 is the better route. My answer assumes (maybe incorrectly) someone would be going onto Disney property from The Villages. In that case, US 27 is a slow way to get there. You can do it, but all those traffic lights....

I have a SunPass, as well. If it's a little sticker you put on your windshield, it's not a solar panel on it. It is actually a reflective RF surface. I work for the company that makes them. :)

Ricktara

If you're heading to Lake Louisa then, yes, US 27 is the better route. My answer assumes (maybe incorrectly) someone would be going onto Disney property from The Villages. In that case, US 27 is a slow way to get there. You can do it, but all those traffic lights....

I have a SunPass, as well. If it's a little sticker you put on your windshield, it's not a solar panel on it. It is actually a reflective RF surface. I work for the company that makes them. :)

CCorrect ssumption. We are staying in Summerfield for aa few days prior to disney, but we are also going from Summerfield to bill Fredericks park in Orlando before Disney so we can go to universal.

carl.swoyer

Rt 27 has been updated . It's three lanes going north and south. Huge impact on traffic. The section in the photo is just south of us hwy 50.
950c1b7e7e571f7bf2d60c74ded6cef8.jpg