Personal Security while on the road

gslabbert5119

While we are on the road I am going to have to leave my wife on her own in an RV park for a number of days while I am out of country, and with the number of bad guys around these days, I am really concerned about her safety and security and was wondering how you guys handle this.

She is armed, well trained and prepared, so that is not the issue, though having to shoot someone who breaks in while she is in the RV is an absolute last resort.

My question is is anyone using door alarms, or possibly a bluetooth video surveillance system such as Ring, Tattletale, or such. (I need a system that does not use AC or power)
I would really like to record who is around the rig, during the day while she is there or while she is not. The system would have to have an independent WiFi system or if not a Bluetooth system and record to itself or to a unit in the rig as we cannot depend on RV park WiFi and from what I have read, using 3G or LTE does not handle the data volume well. Certainly I would like an option to save to an offside facility while we are in an place where the system has access to Wifi.

Any thoughts, suggestions and or ideas are most appreciated.

Fox

Firearms and canines, not necessarily in that order.

Attachments

• Rebel, Sm.jpg
    Rebel, Sm.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20160601_154155.jpg
    20160601_154155.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 39

jbeletti

Some suggestions...

While there are battery powered cameras, I would consider a different, more feature-rich and reliable option. Consider using IP cameras that are powered over Ethernet cable (POE). Consider an network video recorder. Power it all from a uninterruptible power supply (UPS).

There are many kit systems out there. And those work for most people's needs. For my own needs (at home), I use various camera form factors and lenses based on each use case. As such, I build my own system.

For off-site storage, consider sending only alert clips versus all the video as you'd never have enough bandwidth to send it all up to a cloud storage location.

And of course, you will need your own, cellular based Internet service in order to not rely on the campground's system to push your video to the cloud and to access the cameras from remote when you desire.

What I use in my RV is completely different than what I use at my home. In my RV, I use:
Ubiquiti Networks, UniFi Video products
- NVR: UVC‑NVR‑2TB
- POE Switch: US‑8‑150W
- Indoor Camera: UVC‑G3‑DOME
- Outdoor Camera: UVC‑G3

Good stuff, easy to manage, infra red, audio etc.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
How about reaching out to your fellow RV neighbors? Likely more reliable and less expensive than technology in my opinion
Example-while in Texas our neighbor asked us to be of assistance to her husband while she was out running errands. We exchanged phone numbers with them plus their PT caregiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave10a

Keep the TV FOB nearby to sound the horn in case of an intrusion/invasion. The sound of the horn will cause the Campers to look out their window to see what is going on and the intruder will most likely disappear with that much noise and bystander attention. Use of fire arms is not a good idea because collateral damage and legal issues.

Fox

"Use of fire arms is not a good idea because collateral damage and legal issues."

Sometimes firearms are the only way to stop a bad-guy.
Look at these crazy mass shooters and ask ... when did they stop shooting (once confronted with another firearm)?

Carried by six - or judged by twelve, your choice.

RickL

First of all I’ll get this out- I’m a huge supporter of the 2nd admendment. I believe those that feel the need to own a gun shouldn’t be restricted. Me, I don’t trust myself and as such have never owned a gun.

All that being said, how about finding a RV Park where your comfort level is much higher? I have been all over this county on a motorcycle mostly but also a car/ truck. Never felt the need to need a gun myself, but have have had several people question way I wasn’t packing. My answer is to them is this, I’ve learned in my 65 years that if I’m not comfortable I move on. Basically it comes to my belief when my ticket is punched it’s my time. I don’t invite trouble but I also try to stay clear of it. Life’s too short and after basically having a near death experience on the operating table during heart surgery it set my thought process in stone.

Fox

That's easy: in order to get from point A (home, safe) to point B (safe campground) I must traverse area C, unknown. Then continue onward to the next place.
Being vigilant - and hopefully not a victim.

gslabbert5119

Thank you all for your responses, I truly do not want to get into a 2nd amendment discussion. We have chosen to conceal carry and we are both highly trained with weapons and I do not intend to get into a discussion about self defense

certainly we will find what we believe is a safe and secure RC park, but there are bad people everywhere, and I would rather be prepared than not.

eEven the safest areas have crime and one once of prevention is worth a pound of cure, so I would much prefer to deter to bad guy vs the other options in that circumstance.

I am not wealthy but $500 or even $1,000 to keep my wife safe and give me peace of mind is money well spent.

so back to my request, what are my options for security, there are camera with alarms which are being considered, but there has to be an effective security system, surely I am not the only person with a 5er that has these concerns.

Fox

This takes me back to my other suggestion, a dog. Dogs require no internet tweaks and they'll continue to operate when the power goes out; plus he/shes very portable.
And always happy to please you.

Toss him a bone.

Gary521

Its a bit late now, but I would not tell the internet that you will be out of town. I understand that you are lookin for suggestions. I would have worded the question a bit differently. This is my suggestion.

gslabbert5119

Its a bit late now, but I would not tell the internet that you will be out of town. I understand that you are lookin for suggestions. I would have worded the question a bit differently. This is my suggestion.

Gary, good luck finding me ��
I will be somewhere in the USA, traveling in an RV and staying at a RV Park, but your point is well .
taken.

Fox I have 2 small dogs, which are not ideal for protection, but they will make one helluva noise if someone breaks in.

thanks again, I will keep digging for an electronic solution as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Some suggestions...

While there are battery powered cameras, I would consider a different, more feature-rich and reliable option. Consider using IP cameras that are powered over Ethernet cable (POE). Consider an network video recorder. Power it all from a uninterruptible power supply (UPS).

There are many kit systems out there. And those work for most people's needs. For my own needs (at home), I use various camera form factors and lenses based on each use case. As such, I build my own system.

For off-site storage, consider sending only alert clips versus all the video as you'd never have enough bandwidth to send it all up to a cloud storage location.

And of course, you will need your own, cellular based Internet service in order to not rely on the campground's system to push your video to the cloud and to access the cameras from remote when you desire.

What I use in my RV is completely different than what I use at my home. In my RV, I use:
Ubiquiti Networks, UniFi Video products
- NVR: UVC‑NVR‑2TB
- POE Switch: US‑8‑150W
- Indoor Camera: UVC‑G3‑DOME
- Outdoor Camera: UVC‑G3

Good stuff, easy to manage, infra red, audio etc.

Thanks jbeletti, as a retired packet analysis and VOIP engineer your solution makes sense and I will look into it. Power is the issue, but as long as the system runs on DC then I am good.

Thanks again

LBR

I have been looking into a self-contained system also and thinking about using the Arlo Pro 2 for our unique application.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have been looking into a self-contained system also and thinking about using the Arlo Pro 2 for our unique application.

I have the Arlo Pro 2 system at home. Requires good internet, 120V, and changing/charging batteries roughly every 90 days depending on how often they get triggered. PITA is when a camera goes offline when you’re 200 miles away and no way to reconnect it remotely. **** thing had a fresh battery and was working fine when we left.

It needs an Ethernet connection to your router for the internet. It does not connect on its own. Other than the one problem child (this is the second time the same camera did this), it’s a decent system. About $450 at Costco for a basic 3-camera set.

LBR

I have the Arlo Pro 2 system at home. Requires good internet, 120V, and changing/charging batteries roughly every 90 days depending on how often they get triggered. PITA is when a camera goes offline when you’re 200 miles away and no way to reconnect it remotely. **** thing had a fresh battery and was working fine when we left.

It needs an Ethernet connection to your router for the internet. It does not connect on its own. Other than the one problem child (this is the second time the same camera did this), it’s a decent system. About $450 at Costco for a basic 3-camera set.

I must have mentioned the wrong model...my bad....the one I'm considering doesn't need wifi nor internet, only cell service.

Now I need to check on the difference between the different Arlos...lol!

'Lil Guy'

Other than peace of mind, I don't understand how spending a lot of money on surveillance equipment is going to make anyone safer. If you sit around thinking up all kinds of unpleasant scenarios and then trying to find a solution for them, just seems like you're lessoning your enjoyment time. I do believe in being as prepared as possible and God forbid I had to put them into play, but they are reactionary defenses. Good common sense goes a long way (IMO) in being proactive. I try not to sit around and think up problems I don't already have.

I guess it comes down to you're own state of mind and what makes you feel comfortable. If I had to add one feature to my rig that could aid in an emergency it would be a screamingly loud alarm with a remote to activate. Something to get everyone's attention.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I must have mentioned the wrong model...my bad....the one I'm considering doesn't need wifi nor internet, only cell service.

Now I need to check on the difference between the different Arlos...lol!

That looks like their Arlo Go cameras. Works on LTE, not the internet. Interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LBR

That looks like their Arlo Go cameras. Works on LTE, not the internet. Interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's probably it John...will check it out tonight.

My understanding is only need cell service, will ping your phone when activated, can view real-time on the cameras all movement after the alert, backs up to the cloud all the time until a data threshold is met, then records over what was backed up, etc. Once equipment is purchased, it only adds a cell phone charge to my Verizon monthly bill.

Still not ready to get it until Fall, but this may help the OP?

BLR

Other than peace of mind, I don't understand how spending a lot of money on surveillance equipment is going to make anyone safer. If you sit around thinking up all kinds of unpleasant scenarios and then trying to find a solution for them, just seems like you're lessoning your enjoyment time. I do believe in being as prepared as possible and God forbid I had to put them into play, but they are reactionary defenses. Good common sense goes a long way (IMO) in being proactive. I try not to sit around and think up problems I don't already have.

I guess it comes down to you're own state of mind and what makes you feel comfortable. If I had to add one feature to my rig that could aid in an emergency it would be a screamingly loud alarm with a remote to activate. Something to get everyone's attention.
When I have 7 cats inside I want to know what the H they are doing along with possible predators that may be lurking for them.... I don't care about people. .We boondock 80% of the time

Sent from BLR Logistics