BH Front Decal Replacement

'Lil Guy'

Has anyone attempted to replace their big front decal? I left some love bugs stuck for too long and they ate threw the decal. If I made marks from existing decal before removal for reference and used plenty of soapy water, I would think I could do it. Any thoughts. I'm assuming it's just a decal on top of the pain and not clear coated over. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbeletti

Frank - I've never done it but know it can be done. It will be a bear of a time getting the old decal off and cleaning off all the residue. But this too can be done.

Floating on the new decal might be best left to the pros. Consider contacting a local vinyl sign/graphics company and get a bid on floating on the new decal.

The decal should be purchasable from Heartland Customer Service directly - 877-262-8032. Consider emailing (service@heartlandrvs.com) them a picture of your current decal and asking them what the Heartland part number and cost is. In this manner, your on the same page of what you should be getting from them - as decals do change.

PS: Possibly some tips here on YouTube.

mlpeloquin

Mine isn't in good condition, but another trip east and to the south before I will have it replaced. I was told by my cousin that it might be to late for my decal. He explained the the bugs on it were the infamous kissing bugs. That was three years ago. They are so acidic that they ruin everything if not washed of promptly. So mine waits till after December. The acid did not eat through the vinyl, but remove the coloring under them. So you can see where they went splat!

jerryjay11

Haven't done a big decal but have installed the decals on the doors of my Pioneer. Be aware that the decals are between two sheets of protective paper so you need to determine which is the sticky side of the decal before pull that paper off. Of course you are doing the front decal so it should be obvious.

Clean the area reel well and wipe with denatured alcohol. Removing the old one should be relatively easy with a heat gun or hair dryer, though be careful not to overheat. I didn't need to use the soapy solution because mine were small and easier to align.

mlpeloquin

Standard procedure is to spray both the surface the vinyl is to be applied to and the sticky side of the vinyl with a soapy solution. That way its position can be adjusted and then a squeegee is used to displace the soapy solution from under it. On a non flat surface it gets tricky to smooth it out even, without bubbles, or folds. I have done flat surfaces, but will leave it to the experts for large curved surface that requires ladders or a scaffold to apply. Just get the angle off a smidgin and it will really show.

'Lil Guy'

There's a graphics, wrap , decal center in town. I'll let then take a look at it for me. Thanks for the replies. I wonder how it would look with a custom Yosemite Sam riding up on the front cap?