Bighorn Cheap Heat Install

DaveTyler

The one comment I would add is that some units actually have room in their own breaker box instead of a separate box. Three units that I assisted on installs, Dykes, Don Smith’s, and Tyler’s. All had room in breaker box. We did discuss with Larry. You actually need two spots for double breaker. Siemens was the brand of breaker. On my unit, I only had one space but a 20 amp breaker for washing machine/dryer that I replaced with the double breaker. This is a option. Regards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

Has anyone considered adding the heat strip option for the Duo Therm Air conditioner? It seems like a lot less money, and a lot simpler installation. The heat strip pulls the same 12.7 amps the 15k BTU cooling compressor does, so the trailer wiring and circuit breaker do not have to be changed.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We have a heat strip on the bedroom a/c and it works pretty well in keeping the b/r warm but it does nothing for the rest of the trailer and especially the underbelly. That was one of the features about the Cheap Heat that I like. We stay in the Texas hill country until January and it can get pretty cold there. Need to keep the pipes warm!

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
It is definitely worth the time and effort. As Jim said the area was tight to work in as it was under our sink. I also have to slightly enlarge the 3 floor registers width as Larry was concerned there might be too much restriction on the plenum and cause some possible overheating. I also had to cut one 4" hole in the extension to feed the bath and bedroom plenum which is separate. We used the furnace 2 weeks ago in the mountains where lows were in the 40s all week. My wife is a very happy camper now. ;)

Jim definitely has the wiring setup figured out.

My data point of 1 says yes :) But for those in need, it's worth the one-time effort.

porthole

Retired
Has anyone considered adding the heat strip option for the Duo Therm Air conditioner? It seems like a lot less money, and a lot simpler installation. The heat strip pulls the same 12.7 amps the 15k BTU cooling compressor does, so the trailer wiring and circuit breaker do not have to be changed.

Bill, we used heat strips in both AC units for 9 seasons.

When we ordered the Cyclone the Dometic plant had just had a large fire which put heat pump units on back order, so the dealer added heat strips at cost. $105 each.
Besides the heat strip you need a heat strip specific thermostats.

For what they are they worked fine. We supplemented the heat strips with a Pelonis ceramic heater on the floor.

Things to keep in mind with the strips. The heat is coming from the ceiling, and as we all know, heat rises.
The heating of the area takes awhile, especially if already cold. It might takes several hours before the trailer is comfortable.

On ours, once the trailer was warm the main ducted AC did an OK job of keeping the trailer comfortable overnight, in conjunction with the Pelonis.

The Pelonis was only needed in the main living area. The 'upper deck' stayed sufficiently warm since it is a smaller area and higher.

And when I replaced the main AC unit two years ago, I again added the heat strip.