Here is the Sailun Tire Load/Inflation Table

SLO

Can you capture pictures showing the tire size and the Load information. Also the full DOT serial (including the date code )

Tires are suppose to follow DOT regulations. Those regulations point to TRA published standards. Possibly a mis-production. Could be subject to a recall.

Here are the pics of my tires. I think I have all the info you requested. Good thing I just went down a dirt road. Makes it easier to read.

8a8b64371f68244f553957a73f287df5.jpg
8e5f43b884083ab8be8feb91949086fa.jpg
bc504234f65462a1922ce0230f2e297c.jpg
35bc18648e4c812128d603ea3ef5def3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tireman9

The tire is clearly an LT235/85R16
I find no reference to a LR-G in that size in my 2015 TRA standards book. Now there could be a letter to DOT from Sailun for that Load Range
I also do not know what DOT standard allows a tire to be marked "For Trailer Use Only"

I do note the tires are already 4 years old. I believe Heartland owners manual advises 5 year tire life max.

Last edited:

tireman9

OK the consensus of two tire engineers and a person who reads Federal Regulations as a hobby is that the subject tires are in fact LT type tires but the tire company is limiting their use to trailer applications only.

IMO the fact that ST tires are limited to Trailer Use ONlY is at least in part to limit liability by decreasing the chances of personal injury if there are problems with the tire performance.

While I believe it is legal to travel with people in trailers in a couple states, most prohibit this so essentially trailer use only would or could be an acknowledgment that the tires may not be as durable as regular LT or P type.

The above tire is already 4 years old. I believe Heartland Owners manual advises 5 year tire life.

SLO

OK the consensus of two tire engineers and a person who reads Federal Regulations as a hobby is that the subject tires are in fact LT type tires but the tire company is limiting their use to trailer applications only.

IMO the fact that ST tires are limited to Trailer Use ONlY is at least in part to limit liability by decreasing the chances of personal injury if there are problems with the tire performance.

While I believe it is legal to travel with people in trailers in a couple states, most prohibit this so essentially trailer use only would or could be an acknowledgment that the tires may not be as durable as regular LT or P type.

The above tire is already 4 years old. I believe Heartland Owners manual advises 5 year tire life.

I am planning on replacing them next year before our trip to Alaska. My original confusion was with weight rating. Do my LT tires include the safety margin, as Dan stated, and the ST does not including the safety rating. Other than that are they the same tire?

tireman9

I am planning on replacing them next year before our trip to Alaska. My original confusion was with weight rating. Do my LT tires include the safety margin, as Dan stated, and the ST does not including the safety rating. Other than that are they the same tire?

There is no official margin of safety in the common sense. DOT regulations only have minimum performance requirements.
Some tires exceed them by 10% and others may only exceed the standards by 0.5%
No way to know by how much any individual tire exceeds the requirements.

LT tires have different load capacities than ST. These are in the published industry tables.

Dan's idea of "certified" and not certified not correct. All tiresare "certified" by the producing company as certified to be able to pass the published Load INflation numbers.

danemayer

Tireman9,

Sailun appears to have two S637 tires; one is an ST with a load capacity stated as 4400 lbs. The other is LT with a load capacity stated as 3750. Other than the information on the sidewalls, they appear to be very similar if not identical.

Somewhere in the past, we've seen discussion about import tariffs informing the company's decision to market a tire as LT or ST for pricing reasons. Somewhere in the past, we've also seen discussion about requirements for LT tires exceeding those of ST tires.

Perhaps that's all incorrect information, but what's lacking is an alternative explanation as to why they claim such different load capacities for what very much seems to be the same design.

Can you provide any specific information to clarify what Sailun is doing with the S637 coming out in both LT and ST flavors? Or are we all just guessing.