Independent Suspension Upgrade to 8-year old FW

goodscott

I've got a 2010 Landmark Augusta in need of some suspension repair. I'm wondering if it would be worth the additional investment to go to IS on a rig that is 8 years old. Overall trailer is in good shape and already has Titan disc brakes. Any thoughts?

Scott
2010 Landmark Augusta
2013 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD DRW

Gary521

If you decide to move on to another RV, you will not get any more for any upgrades you have put on the trailer. Disk brakes are a good idea anyway, Suspension maybe, maybe not.

sengli

Only if you are going to keep your current rig. Everytime we have attempted to try and trade our unit in, the dealers pretty much offer wholesale for it. They dont care what it is equipped with, certain factory options or otherwise, or in many cases even what condition its in.

Last time I saw threads on here about this upgrade, it was pretty close to $8k, so go for it.

wdk450

The MorRyde IS install includes welding a tubular steel box between the 2 I beams running the length of the trailer. Along with providing a stable base for the IS install, it also prevents the I beams from twisting lengthwise, an all too common and expensive problem with big 5th wheels.

I agree with sengli’s post, you will get nothing on a trade, basically wholesale.
I traded my 2011 Big Country in on my 2019 Big Horn, the only thing my salesman ask is what options were ordered on the trailer brand new, nothing else mattered.
I had put disc brakes, Trailair pin box, 8,000# axles, living room slide awning, second AC unit, but none of that counted, only the originally ordered options.
What I’ve found on the websites, and industry studies, is that most people trade or sell their coach at the 8 year mark, right where your at.
Think about a new coach, then invest in the upgrades.

Hockster

RoadJunkie

It is proper etiquette—perhaps even law—that one must maximize expenditure on their rig just before a decision is made to trade it in. Something to consider here.

DirtyMax88

I've got a 2010 Landmark Augusta in need of some suspension repair. I'm wondering if it would be worth the additional investment to go to IS on a rig that is 8 years old. Overall trailer is in good shape and already has Titan disc brakes. Any thoughts?

Scott
2010 Landmark Augusta
2013 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD DRW

Scott,
It's worth every penny if you are going to keep your LM for a while longer. Sounds crazy that something so heavy can ride so smooth. 90% time, you don't feel like it's back there. We did the disc brakes at the same time as the 8k axle IS. We did it in December while they were running a discount on parts. Since you already have the disc brakes upgrade, it should be less for you. As another person mentioned, they essentially get rid of everything, down the the I-beams and build it all back up, from scratch. They took a bunch of measurements with the truck hooked to the trailer so when the fabricate everything its perfectly level. Those guys are amazing fabricators/welders/engineers etc. Attached are a few photos. The last one was the snow storm we happened to get caught in driving up. :) Good luck.

20161206_114908.jpg20161206_114842.jpg20161204_184613.jpg

Hogladyrider

We are fulltimers and we have an appt at MORryde in September to upgrade from 7k to 8k IS suspension and new wheels and tires on our 2017 Cyclone 3611JS.

We have tossed and thought long and hard about this decision. We have opted to keep our Cyclone rather than trade or get another RV. This is our 3rd Heartland product, two previous Big Horns. We have this RV how we enjoy living and traveling in it and the thought of "breaking in" another RV makes me shiver! Especially with all the "quality" issues posted on the web these days, that I believe are mostly attributed to the boom in the RV industry.

We've added pantry shelving, fixed a kitchen sink that was literally falling out because it never had any brackets installed, replaced a defective GF that came from the factory and we had no lights in half of the RV from the time we left the dealer until we got a replacement from Heartland.

We have replaced the sofa with two recliners. In a nutshell we have our "home" the way we like it and therefore for us this upgrade and expense is worth it.

We are going into this expenditure fully aware that we will never get the money we put in back out and our outlook is, financially it is a better option than trading now and purchasing another new RV. We have Alaska on our bucket list for summer of 2020 with our Cyclone.

We've shopped, priced every which way we can think of and we are comfortable with our decision to go with the MORryde 8kIS and wheel and tire upgrade.....but we realize it is not for everyone.

Susan

SLO

We are fulltimers and we have an appt at MORryde in September to upgrade from 7k to 8k IS suspension and new wheels and tires on our 2017 Cyclone 3611JS.

We have tossed and thought long and hard about this decision. We have opted to keep our Cyclone rather than trade or get another RV. This is our 3rd Heartland product, two previous Big Horns. We have this RV how we enjoy living and traveling in it and the thought of "breaking in" another RV makes me shiver! Especially with all the "quality" issues posted on the web these days, that I believe are mostly attributed to the boom in the RV industry.

We've added pantry shelving, fixed a kitchen sink that was literally falling out because it never had any brackets installed, replaced a defective GF that came from the factory and we had no lights in half of the RV from the time we left the dealer until we got a replacement from Heartland.

We have replaced the sofa with two recliners. In a nutshell we have our "home" the way we like it and therefore for us this upgrade and expense is worth it.

We are going into this expenditure fully aware that we will never get the money we put in back out and our outlook is, financially it is a better option than trading now and purchasing another new RV. We have Alaska on our bucket list for summer of 2020 with our Cyclone.

We've shopped, priced every which way we can think of and we are comfortable with our decision to go with the MORryde 8kIS and wheel and tire upgrade.....but we realize it is not for everyone.

Susan

We have an appointment on 9/24 at MorRyde to do the IS. When is your appointment. We have Alaska scheduled for 2019

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hogladyrider

We have an appointment on 9/24 at MorRyde to do the IS. When is your appointment. We have Alaska scheduled for 2019

Our appt is 9/20 & 9/21. We will arrive on 9/19 and spend the night in the parking lot.

We plan on sticking around the area until the following Thursday as we want to try and do a couple of factory tours.

Last fall we did the Heartland Cyclone factory tour along with several others in the area.

We have workamped all summer to pay for this upgrade as we want to remain debt free and not touch our retirement savings. Hence we need to workamp one more summer to afford spending an entire summer in Alaska in 2020. Retirement life is GOOD!

Susan

SLO

Our appt is 9/20 & 9/21. We will arrive on 9/19 and spend the night in the parking lot.

We plan on sticking around the area until the following Thursday as we want to try and do a couple of factory tours.

Last fall we did the Heartland Cyclone factory tour along with several others in the area.

We have workamped all summer to pay for this upgrade as we want to remain debt free and not touch our retirement savings. Hence we need to workamp one more summer to afford spending an entire summer in Alaska in 2020. Retirement life is GOOD!

Susan

We couldn’t get a Bighorn factory tour the time we’re there. They have dealer tours that week. I’ve been retired 3 months. Just getting the hang of it.

Hogladyrider

We couldn’t get a Bighorn factory tour the time we’re there. They have dealer tours that week. I’ve been retired 3 months. Just getting the hang of it.

Last year they wanted to give us a tour of Landmark however we requested Cyclone since that's what we live in and they were able to make that happen, we had a private tour, it was great!

Give yourself at least 6 months to a year to get used to retirement. Believe me it gets better and better. We are heading into year 4 and we love workamping, its like fun not like work! We are Florida residents and we get out of the heat and humidity in the summer and come out west and play in the winter back in Florida and take our cruises that we love in the winter.

Enjoy!

Susan

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
just a heads up on the MorRide IS and dic brakes on my 2016 3760EL removed 7000# axcel and drum brakes and added 8000# IS and disc brakes it added 553 pounds to the gross weight. I know this as a fact because they weigh you before they start and had them weigh me when they were done. Was told their would only be about a 350# more. No concern to me for I own a Ford

SLO

just a heads up on the MorRide IS and dic brakes on my 2016 3760EL removed 7000# axcel and drum brakes and added 8000# IS and disc brakes it added 553 pounds to the gross weight. I know this as a fact because they weigh you before they start and had them weigh me when they were done. Was told their would only be about a 350# more. No concern to me for I own a Ford

No concern here. I have a Cummins. ;-)

Hogladyrider

Whats the average cost of getting the IS with disc brakes?

Suggest you e-mail MORryde and request a quote for exactly what you want.

For us we are upgrading from 7000 lb axles to 8000 lb which is one price. With the upgrade we also will need bigger wheels and tires which is an additional cost that we found to be in line with what we could purchase these for elsewhere.

So far the communication via e-mail has been excellent. Will let you all know after our appt later this month.

Susan

dave10a

I was considering IS and other upgrades, but because of the age of my unit and it's depreciated value, I decieded against it. I am considering appropriate suspension up grades on my next unit that I am purchasing soon.

LBR

Just ballpark numbers:
*$4,000 for 8k IS
*$3,000 Disc Brakes

* Note, these are not quotes. They are guesstimates based on some extrapolation I did.

Is this shot.from.the.hip for dual or triple axles Jim? Thanx.