Ford 6.7 DEF reductant heater increased warranty coverage

kbbagshaw

My light turned on yesterday (2014 Ford F-250) and I am having an issue with my reductant heater (code) also. I called the dealership and they said that it is only covered for 100k or 5 years (whichever comes first). They are getting me in on Monday the 31st (New Years Eve) since today is Friday, but I have to pay a $100 deductible. Please let me know where you got your information on this extended warranty because the Ford dealership is telling me it's not so. This is cutting it close with only 1 day left on warranty.

See Link below:
https://ford.oemdtc.com/3768/custom...r-assembly-repair-2011-2015-ford-f-super-duty

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
From: https://ford.oemdtc.com/3768/custom...r-assembly-repair-2011-2015-ford-f-super-duty

"This program extends the warranty coverage of the reductant heater and sender assembly to 11 years of service or 120,000 miles from the warranty start date of the vehicle, whichever occurs first. If a vehicle has already exceeded either the time or mileage limits, this extended warranty coverage will last through December 31, 2018. "

This is actually confusing - first it says that it extends the warranty coverage of teh RH&S assembly to 11 years of service or 120K miles. Since we are talking 2011 through 2015 model years, the 11 yrs of service doesn't make sense. If you have reached either it appears that you can go by the 11 years rule (or 120K miles if you reach it sooner). Either way, the Dec 31,2018 rule should not affect you. However, a coworker has a 2013 F250 6.7 and our local Ford Dealer told him that it expires on Dec 31, 2018, regardless. Hopefully our local dealer was incorrect! As I said, confusing.

I'm sure someone will reread it and post if I'm incorrect.

If you have 140000 miles now, you would still be covered through December 31, 2018.

Rod

porthole

Retired
Just found out my 2014 F-250 6.7 is not covered. It will cover years 2011-2012, but 2013-2015 extended warranty only covers F450 & F550. :(

CUSTOMER SATISFACTION PROGRAM

This program extends the warranty coverage of the reductant heater and sender assembly to 11 years of service or 120,000 miles from the warranty start date of the vehicle, whichever occurs first. If a vehicle has already exceeded either the time or mileage limits, this extended warranty coverage will last through December 31, 2018. Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.

~~~~~~~~
VEHICLES COVERED BY THIS PROGRAM

F250 - F550 2011-2012 *Built Aug 24, 2009 - Oct 23, 2012*
F450 - F550 2013-2015 *Built Apr 16, 2012 - Dec 9, 2014*

If you have the same problem and are not covered, document it and forward the info to the NHTSA.

If there is sufficient evidence to justify it, they will expand the recall-service numbers.

schew

Just found out my 2014 F-250 6.7 is not covered. It will cover years 2011-2012, but 2013-2015 extended warranty only covers F450 & F550. :(

This program extends the warranty coverage of the reductant heater and sender assembly to 11 years of service or 120,000 miles from the warranty start date of the vehicle, whichever occurs first. If a vehicle has already exceeded either the time or mileage limits, this extended warranty coverage will last through December 31, 2018. Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.

~~~~~~~~

I'm in the same boat as you. My 2014 F250 wasnt covered either. Cost me $900+ to have the tank replaced back in September... Sucks!!!

porthole

Retired
I'm in the same boat as you. My 2014 F250 wasnt covered either. Cost me $900+ to have the tank replaced back in September... Sucks!!!

For those that are not covered, the heater can be purchased for under $200 and there are several youtube videos showing the procedure.

2TrakR

My 2016 F350 had this failure and was not covered. It was just shy of 80,000 miles at the time. I will probably replace this vehicle before Ford expands coverage to these newer model years, so it's just out of pocket (was about $1K).

~~~~~~~~

I got the engine light on my 2015 Lariat yesterday, and AutoZone pulled the codes for me. Sure enough, its the reductant heater. My F-250 is also not covered. I'd like to believe enough people will complain about this to get Ford to extend these models as well.

porthole

Retired
I got the engine light on my 2015 Lariat yesterday, and AutoZone pulled the codes for me. Sure enough, its the reductant heater. My F-250 is also not covered. I'd like to believe enough people will complain about this to get Ford to extend these models as well.

Complain to the NHTSA

NYSUPstater

Sorry to hear you've got the dreaded issue. Not that this will help a lot, but if there is any good news about this, now that we are going into the warmer months, you can get by w/o the heater & eng light on for next several months. My CEL came on in July (day before our departutre for FL w/ RV) and was this problem. Was able to squeeze into dealer and they said it won't de-rate the engine, so off we went. 4 months and 3-4000 miles later, finally got it fixed. Never did re-rate but had to look at the CEL for 4 months.

DTHOR

Hi all,
I have a 2014 F-350 and I was told from the dealership where I purchased the truck from that the "DEF reductant heater and sender assembly" needs to be replaced and is not covered. Purchased the truck new in early 2014 and it has 34K miles. Does this extended warranty apply?
Thanks for the info,

danemayer

Hi all,
I have a 2014 F-350 and I was told from the dealership where I purchased the truck from that the "DEF reductant heater and sender assembly" needs to be replaced and is not covered. Purchased the truck new in early 2014 and it has 34K miles. Does this extended warranty apply?
Thanks for the info,

The warranty booklet for your truck will have a section detailing the Federal emissions warranty. On my 2014 RAM, the DEF components are covered for 5 years, 50,000 miles. Some components are warranted for 8 years, 80,000 miles. And it's possible Ford may have additional coverages. You should call Ford Customer Service.

porthole

Retired
Hi all,
Thanks for the info,

Ford extended the time and mileage

https://ford.oemdtc.com/3768/custom...r-assembly-repair-2011-2015-ford-f-super-duty

You can enter your VIN here to see if it is an active recall for your truck

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?gclid...FL_5c3eTRnT8UvhoCzQMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#vin

lynndiwagoner

I had the heater problem on a Chevy. Of course the outdoor temperature was no where near freezing. I suspect the ECM checks continuity of the heater and if it sees an open it signals the code. The problem is that even if it's 100 degrees out, and the heater fails to show continuity, you will be stuck with fixing it or suffering the consequences.....like being stuck thousands of miles from home and forced to find a dealer. Shameful....

Received a call from the ford dealer saying the 2016 models will now be covered for the DEF. Took my truck in 5 months ago for the def code and it cost me $1000. Manager said normal cost would have been $2400 but since my milage was only 14000 miles they would fix it for the $1000. Just received a letter from Ford saying the 16s will now be covered. Called the dealer and they were evasive about whether I would get the $1000 back. Anyone else dealing with this? Thanks T

Bogie

I don't have this problem. But if the dealer keeps stonewalling you about a refund, I would contact Ford Customer service. Create a detailed log who/what/where/when. Have the invoice number for the repair. Also keep a log of who you talk to at Ford and when. Ask for a case number. They may also be evasive at first or may offer you to reimburse a lower amount. You don't have to accept a lower offer. Oh, and don't be surprised if the dealer charged you $1000 and nicked Ford for the rest.

porthole

Retired
Received a call from the ford dealer saying the 2016 models will now be covered for the DEF. Took my truck in 5 months ago for the def code and it cost me $1000. Manager said normal cost would have been $2400 but since my milage was only 14000 miles they would fix it for the $1000. Just received a letter from Ford saying the 16s will now be covered. Called the dealer and they were evasive about whether I would get the $1000 back. Anyone else dealing with this? Thanks T

Look into whether it is a Ford goodwill thing that the 16's are covered or has the NHTSA issued or expanded the scope of the recall.
Here is the text from the 3.2L reductant heater recall.

OWNER REFUNDS • Ford Motor Company is offering a refund for owner-paid repairs covered by this program if the repair was performed before the date of the Owner Notification Letter. This refund offer expires March 31, 2021. • Dealers are also pre-approved to refund owner-paid emergency repairs that were performed away from an authorized servicing dealer after the date of the Owner Notification Letter. Noncovered repairs, or those judged by Ford to be excessive, will not be reimbursed. • Refunds will only be provided for the cost associated with reductant heater and sender assembly replacement, with service base part number 5L227.

chaplady

I just called my Ford dealer they acknowledged the extension of warranty and is going to submitt paperwork to Ford for verification that my truck qualified as she stated its vin number dependant. Got fingers crossed