Foul odor when running sink faucet

Relayman

We are experiencing a foul order in our camper when my wife runs water in th island kitchen sink.
I have replaced the air admittance valve from one that came from Lowes.
It was $25 so I presume its a good one. Hasn't helped.
I bought an endoscope that connects to my cell phone and ran it down the roof vents, and did not se an issue.
Ran wafer down the roof vents with a hose..saw it was draining well. No leaks visable from outside.
Anyone have any Ideas ?
Could the vent pipe be shoved down into the grey water kitchen tank too far ?
That would put the vent pipe below the tank water level..which would make the vent useless ? I don't know what to do.
HELP .

mlpeloquin

It could be bacteria in the hot water tank. When is the last time you purified the water system? This can be done with bleach or Purogene. Go to Heartland Users Guides and select the Water System Guide. See page 22.

Here is the info on Purogene:

View attachment Purogene.pdf

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You might try cleaning the p-trap or pipe between the sinks. I know ours has a fairly shallow slope between the two sinks, maybe food particles are collecting there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you dump your water heater and pull the anode rod out, inspect it. If it's covered in a white slime, then you've got bacteria growing in there that produce H2S. But you did not specify if the smell comes when running hot water or just cold water.

Next question: do you leave the gray tank valve open all the time or just when the tank needs to be dumped? If it's left open, the water will drain out but food crud can remain and collect to rot. Bacteria can also grow on the inside top of the tank. If you only open the valve when it needs emptying, you could also dump some toilet chemical down the sink drain to help clear the gray tank. Let the tank get full before dumping it out.

Lastly, does the smell come up from the drain or just smells in the rig? On occasion, if the tank water is smelly (gray can be nasty), when you run water air is forced out the roof vent. A/C or open roof vents can draw it into the rig if conditions are right.

emery395

Have Atwood heater. Had rotten egg smell. Filled heater with bleach rinse(10%) let sit one hour. Smell gone

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We just had this issue over the weekend. Cleaned the p-trap and as much of the rest of the plumbing as I could, problem solved.

We just had this issue over the weekend. Cleaned the p-trap and as much of the rest of the plumbing as I could, problem solved.

As said in other post, if you are running the hot water and get the rotten egg smell, it is the water heater.
I always put the same tank treatment that I use in the black tank in the grey tank. That seems to take care of the problem for us.

shawnmuir

As said in other post, if you are running the hot water and get the rotten egg smell, it is the water heater.
I always put the same tank treatment that I use in the black tank in the grey tank. That seems to take care of the problem for us.

But he smell is not in the kitchen when the hot water is run. I cleaned my hot water tank with the wand for 20 min and filled it with 30% vinegar/water mix and let sit overnight. Also started pump and drew some thru the taps. Smell went away for 50 days and now it’s back. Could it be the p-trap or something else? Any help and thoughts would be appreciated.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Could it be the p-trap or something else? Any help and thoughts would be appreciated.
Could be that you have an air admittance valve under the bathroom sink. It may have failed.
I think they are under ten bucks.
You can test it by wrapping a baggie around it and sealing with a rubber band. If the odor goes away replace the valve.

Peace
Dave

shawnmuir

Could be that you have an air admittance valve under the bathroom sink. It may have failed.
I think they are under ten bucks.
You can test it by wrapping a baggie around it and sealing with a rubber band. If the odor goes away replace the valve.

Peace
Dave

I’ll check that as well. Thanks. But when I pick up the hot water in my hands I can smell the rotten egg smell but I will check everything. Thanks .

JohnDar

There were past discussions about anaerobic bacteria building up in water heaters and causing the H2S smell. Source was the incoming water. Drain the water heater and remove the anode rod. If it’s covered in a white slime, that may be your problem. A good water prefilter system may alleviate it.

CDN

B and B
Something I had happen in my park model. Antifreeze was still in the pipes for the Washer connection. When chlorinated water mixed with the antifreeze it make a huge stink. Maybe something like this might be happening with the water supply.

shawnmuir

There were past discussions about anaerobic bacteria building up in water heaters and causing the H2S smell. Source was the incoming water. Drain the water heater and remove the anode rod. If it’s covered in a white slime, that may be your problem. A good water prefilter system may alleviate it.

I will drain and clean out the HWT again when I get to Casa Grande but my Hester is a Atwood Water Heater and has no anode rod but will clean it out again.

shawnmuir

Something I had happen in my park model. Antifreeze was still in the pipes for the Washer connection. When chlorinated water mixed with the antifreeze it make a huge stink. Maybe something like this might be happening with the water supply.

I don’t have a washer and has never had one so when I winterized I never had to do that line but I will run water thru it just incase. Thanks for the idea. I’ll try anything.

JohnDar

I will drain and clean out the HWT again when I get to Casa Grande but my Hester is a Atwood Water Heater and has no anode rod but will clean it out again.

If the incoming water has a high sulfur content, heating it may cause the smell. The anode rod on Suburban units was an easy check point.

JohnDar

Found this video on YouTube.

How to Flush and Clean an Atwood RV Water Heater.

It might help.