suburban 10 gal water heater

Bobby A

I am helping a neighbor/friend that is not getting hot water on electric, we checked breakers and changed the heating element and hi-low limit switch and is still not getting any hot water on electric. The only other thing I know of is maybe the toggle switch located on the bottom left corner of the water heather went bad. Also on the heating element there is a black wire and a white wire, does it matter which wires go where ?? I was always told it didn't matter.

Thanks,
Bobby A

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I have had that switch fail (about $6 to replace). You can pop the switch out easy enough to test it and then make a jumper with a small piece of wire and a couple 1/4" bayonet connectors to do away with it until you can get a replacement. If you look around for a replacement in an auto parts store make sure the switch you buy can carry the amperage of the one you are replacing

danemayer

There is likely a junction box on the inside front corner of the water heater (on Heartland units). That's another possible problem area. If you pop the switch and there's no 120V on either side, there's no need to replace the switch. The problem is earlier in the circuit.

Older trailers route 120V from the circuit breaker, through the switch in the control panel, to that junction box. Newer trailers may use a 12V DC power source for the switch, powering a relay that then passes 120V AC to the junction box.

Check the 12V fuses before going any further. If his rig has the relay, a blown fuse would keep the relay from passing 120V AC to the water heater.

Bobby A

There is likely a junction box on the inside front corner of the water heater (on Heartland units). That's another possible problem area. If you pop the switch and there's no 120V on either side, there's no need to replace the switch. The problem is earlier in the circuit.

Older trailers route 120V from the circuit breaker, through the switch in the control panel, to that junction box. Newer trailers may use a 12V DC power source for the switch, powering a relay that then passes 120V AC to the junction box.

Check the 12V fuses before going any further. If his rig has the relay, a blown fuse would keep the relay from passing 120V AC to the water heater.

Thank you both for replying, my neighbor left for the week and we will pick this issue back up next weekend, I will post back then, again I thank you both.

Bobby A