Emissions Delete Duramax

SNOKING

It is routine for LEO to ask to search your vehicle when they suspect something but they still must obtain a warrant if you say no. I have said no and they stop right there, if they make any comment I have them get their commander on scene. I'm polite but unwavering with my rights. If it is not LEO but DOT then I'll tell them to go pound sand they have no authority over me. I would then leave. If they want to call LEO, fine. CA, AZ, CO emission standards do not apply to vehicles not licensed in those states. As long as my vehicle complies with Federal standards then again they can pound sand.

Note: A deleted Duramax does not comply with Federal standards.

Lynn1130

It is routine for LEO to ask to search your vehicle when they suspect something but they still must obtain a warrant if you say no

Exigent Circumstances. Worked for me several times over the years and was upheld in all court cases I had using that. This is especially true with vehicles.

CHP has been know to pull over vehicles licensed in Arizona for window tinting that does not meet their law. If you think you are immune from laws of other states while driving in that state, motor on but be ready to defend that thought.

And another thought while on this topic. I could generally write up the affidavit and find a judge to sign the warrant inside of an hour but sometimes it might take more time to find the judge. So if you want to sit on the side of the road while the LEO does that, I guess that is your choice. The other problem is that if it is in the dead of night and the LEO does not have the PC for a night time warrant, you may sit there until 6 AM the next morning, OR the LEO may exercise Exigent Circumstances and do the search at the time.

Bottom line is that the "I will make the LEO jump through all of the hoops" will cause you more grief. But if you are guilty, then I guess that is fine too. It all paid the same for me.

danemayer

I worked with two guys who thought they could recite their rights to the police and make the police jump through hoops. The first spent the night in jail, was rebuked by the judge in a hearing a few days later, hired a lawyer, and eventually had the charges dropped because the cop didn't show up for the trial. The second changed his mind after tasting concrete.

Seems like 'yes sir', 'no sir' and staying on the right side of the law might work out better.

Lynn1130

'yes sir', 'no sir'
That always made me more willing to work with the violator rather than him/her copping an attitude with the first words out of their mouth.

When I was at the supervisor level and someone asked to see my supervisor my response was "I'm he". Most times on PM and Mids I was the ranking supervisor. So what you see is what you get :)

CarterKraft

Plenty of friends have deleted trucks, one even owns a transport company with 20+ deleted duramaxes.

There is a common thread with all of them, they are financially able to defend themselves in the event of a problem.

To me buying a truck with a 5yr 100,000 mile warranty and deleting it in the emissions warranty period is not something I can "afford", everyone has their comfort level though.

Around here it's not much of a issue but don't downplay the EPAs position and their penalties for these violations.
The EPA can come at you very differently than any other "police" type force you might encounter on the road.

They do run excellent though deleted.

Lynn1130

They do run excellent though deleted.

That's what I have heard. My problem is passing emissions and a deleted truck won't. So I keep driving it as it is and I still pass Fords and Dodges climbing to the top of the Rim ;)

B

BouseBill

On one truck I know, and I will neither confirm or deny it's mine, it runs a heck of a lot better without. Ford IMHO made a bad design for that model year. injecting raw diesel into numbers 7 and 8 is asking for an engine failure prior to 80K miles just to burn a few particles in a DPF. Going into reg as often as every 80 miles when towing heavy is a real PITA. Now, the truck, does not smoke, gets more miles to the gallon, burning less diesel, for the work requried, IMHO ban .......;)