Internet - VPN on the road for Work

gslabbert5119

My wife & I will be becoming road warriors starting the middle of September 2018, however to make this work I need reliable and reasonably fast internet from 8am - 5pm each day where my wife can use VPN tunnels due to the security requirements of the work that she does. This will require monthly fulltime connectivity in excess of 45gb per month (1.5gb per day on average)

Other than the resources at rvmobile, are there any folks out here that work fulltime and need huge amounts of data.
Staying in or near major metropolitan cities certainly would help, however that is not what we want. As a Professional wildlife & landscape photographer I need to be in or near the National Park, BLM's and other places, while my wife needs all that bandwidth.

Anyone doing something similar that can make suggestions.

I currently have Verizon and am talking to them about their business plans, I have T-Mobile as a backup solution and I have signal boosters in both my truck and RV.

Cost though important is not priority one, and i will spend the money IF I can be guaranteed a fully working solution.

Razorbackfan

USN Chief
That’s a tough one. I have used my AT&T iPhone as a hot spot and with the personal unlimited plan I’ve used 40-50GB of data before. I know they say they could throttle you after 22GB I never have been. I stream movies through my smart TV a lot and play video games with a PlayStation and haven’t had any throttling. For boosting the signal I use the weboost https://www.weboost.com/products/connect-rv-65 and it’s awesome.
I know some use satellite internet but it transmits blocks of data differently so streaming is difficult but uploading and downloading data is pretty solid.

I'm currently in a park that allows high speed cable internet on an individual account. If your not moving a lot then you might ask about those at parks that have cable hookups. Usually Comcast will work with you on checking availability at parks and just change your address as you move. It’s not easy though and if your moving a lot it would be a pain. I’ve had a park in Gilroy CA where I was on cable and now. Im running 150GB/s right now.

gslabbert5119

That’s a tough one. I have used my AT&T iPhone as a hot spot and with the personal unlimited plan I’ve used 40-50GB of data before. I know they say they could throttle you after 22GB I never have been. I stream movies through my smart TV a lot and play video games with a PlayStation and haven’t had any throttling. For boosting the signal I use the weboost https://www.weboost.com/products/connect-rv-65 and it’s awesome.
I know some use satellite internet but it transmits blocks of data differently so streaming is difficult but uploading and downloading data is pretty solid.

I'm currently in a park that allows high speed cable internet on an individual account. If your not moving a lot then you might ask about those at parks that have cable hookups. Usually Comcast will work with you on checking availability at parks and just change your address as you move. It’s not easy though and if your moving a lot it would be a pain. I’ve had a park in Gilroy CA where I was on cable and now. Im running 150GB/s right now.

Thanks for your reply, I have a weBoost in my truck as well as in my 5er, so I am covered there.

and Yeah, finding a workable solution has been more than just a challenge, its been a pain..
I am currently doing the following ...
Verizon Mifi Jetpack = 25gb through FMCA Membership Plan
Verizon Mifi Jetpack = 15gb Verizon Direct
Verizon Cell Phone x 2 = 44gb
T-Mobile 1 with + International addon = True unlimited

The problem is areas where there is no cell signal :(

Oregon_Camper

Will you be around any WiFi networks? If so, the solution from WiFiRangers is great! I found over 40 SSID in my neighborhood with this, when my phone only saw 8-9 of them. WOW!!

Here is the video I did on the device. Happy to answer any questions if you think something like this will help.

https://youtu.be/E_9StTQsKuY

wdk450

Many RVers years back had a 2nd dish for Hughes Net Internet. They still advertise on TV along with Dish Network Internet and some other
satellite internet providers (I would Google search ""RV Satellite Internet). I looked into Dish Network when they first started it, and they didn't want you to move around - I would guess they were tying you to local spotbeams. Good luck!!!

On edit: I found this good Escapes article using the websearch suggested before: https://www.escapees.com/rv-satellite-internet/

Garypowell

We have traveled 22 years with our Rep busines covering 10 states. Unlike you we need to be near the major cities.

Back in the beginning i had an accoustical modem that I would strap to a pay phone handset.....those were the days of spending at least an hour in a phone booth.....my wife started calling me Clark.

Near cites we have little trouble but when in the boonies we almost always have trouble. We have never gone the satellite dish route as it seems fairly expensive and we moved twice a week.....another pain....we have stopped that now and sit in one place....but if you are not going to move often a dish might be a good reliable solution. But the you always have to see the sky!

We had no idea the signal strength of our AT&T where we are now parked until we arrived....up in NC mountains .....but it was/is miserable. But we had cable provided. I contacted Spectrum and sure enough they can supply internet to me via the parks cable. That day I picked up the modem and $49 per month later we were getting 200mbs. We are in hog heaven......and it is just a business expense.

Once again if if you are moving once a week, while this could be done if the park had cable, the only pictures you’ll get are running back and forth to the cable company office. If you are going to be sitting stable for a month this might be your best solution. And if you just move down the road 200 miles the same provider might be available and you just crank up the modem at the new location. This might limit your choice of parks.....but just like always sometimes you have to make choices.

I look forward to hearing how you solve this.....there will be a good solution just keep looking.

Razorbackfan

USN Chief
We had no idea the signal strength of our AT&T where we are now parked until we arrived....up in NC mountains .....but it was/is miserable. But we had cable provided. I contacted Spectrum and sure enough they can supply internet to me via the parks cable. That day I picked up the modem and $49 per month later we were getting 200mbs. We are in hog heaven......and it is just a business expense.
Same thing I did. Lol it’s like taking a shower with a squirt bottle for a year then getting a shower with 50 heads in it. I’ve been downloading and backing up for days since I started this one 3 weeks ago. I’m drunk with the bandwidth.

Domi

I have no personal expeiance but from what I have readi if you need a dedicated guaranteed connection about your only choice is satellite. You already know the issues and limitations with cell networks. Wifi is only as good as the bandwidth that the network has. Wifi ranger is great but if the local network has no bandwidth it does not matter if it is 5 bars or 1 bar it is still slow if you can even connect (staying at a KOA that has that problem now, plenty of bars bit no bandwidth).

If I were in your posistion I would be looking at a satellite solution.

Just my opinion.

John

MariaCherry

I guess VPN and proxy services have changed much since 2018. Actually, if I were you, I’d rather use a proxy service cause it can provide me with better security options. Actually, these proxies https://soax.com/residential-proxies are faster than any VPN service I’ve used recently. Anyway, the choice is up to you. Btw, it’s been a long time since this thread was updated, so I’d like to know if your thoughts about those services have changed. I’ll be waiting for your replies, guys. LMK what you’re using now: a VPN or a proxy service.

Last edited:

centerline

FYI... check the date on the threads you reply to..... at nearly 5 years old, technology and options has changed a lot, and the OP probably has gotten their problem solved a long time ago.....o_O