Wifi Thermostat

Hey All,
It has been a while since I have seen anything on this.
Does anyone have a solution to use a real thermostat that has wifi?

jbeletti

I haven't seen any stories of successful integration of a WiFi thermostat to say Dometic air conditioners.

This week, I'm installing a separate thermostat for my furnace-only. Suppose I could have used a WiFi thermostat for it. Real easy for the furnace as we just need a relay to close/open to turn the furnace on/off. Whereas my current Dometic air conditioners use newer all-digital thermostats that send a data signal to the control board of the AC to make it operate.

I haven't seen any stories of successful integration of a WiFi thermostat to say Dometic air conditioners.

This week, I'm installing a separate thermostat for my furnace-only. Suppose I could have used a WiFi thermostat for it. Real easy for the furnace as we just need a relay to close/open to turn the furnace on/off. Whereas my current Dometic air conditioners use newer all-digital thermostats that send a data signal to the control board of the AC to make it operate.

i have the Coleman unit. Seems simple except the 12 volt thing versus the 24 volt thing.
Well I say that, it look like might lose the low speed fan, which I don't use so that wouldn't be a big deal.
I don't have a heat strip either.

jbeletti

i have the Coleman unit. Seems simple except the 12 volt thing versus the 24 volt thing.
Well I say that, it look like might lose the low speed fan, which I don't use so that wouldn't be a big deal.
I don't have a heat strip either.
If you're Coleman has a more analog approach to control, you just might get it to work. As for the 24 volt requirement, I assume that's 24 volts AC. You can use a 110 VAC to 24 VAC transformer.
LINK
41UUXmg683L (1).jpg

jbeletti

And the reason is ??????

Good question. As my coach has a unified HVAC control system where the thermostat for my rearmost AC also controls my furnace and if the control board in that AC unit is inop, so to may be my furnace.

At this time, the control board of this AC unit is in fact inop and the wiring in the electrical box contains the board is smoked. As such, the thermostat for that AC unit will no longer operate my furnace.

I expect the AC unit to be replaced this coming week but I’ll feel happier with the ability to control the furnace on its own thermostat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Good question. As my coach has a unified HVAC control system where the thermostat for my rearmost AC also controls my furnace and if the control board in that AC unit is inop, so to may be my furnace.

At this time, the control board of this AC unit is in fact inop and the wiring in the electrical box contains the board is smoked. As such, the thermostat for that AC unit will no longer operate my furnace.

I expect the AC unit to be replaced this coming week but I’ll feel happier with the ability to control the furnace on its own thermostat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe a Nest ?

jbeletti

Maybe a Nest ?

I'm using a Honeywell, non-programmable, digital display thermostat. I've held off on creating my project post about it as I have yet to connect it to the furnace. Hope to do that in the next couple weeks or so.

I could likely use a Nest for my furnace-only but very unlikely for the air conditioner. So a bit expensive IMO for just the furnace in my case.

I'm using a Honeywell, non-programmable, digital display thermostat. I've held off on creating my project post about it as I have yet to connect it to the furnace. Hope to do that in the next couple weeks or so.

I could likely use a Nest for my furnace-only but very unlikely for the air conditioner. So a bit expensive IMO for just the furnace in my case.

That sounds a little expensive, but that would benefit me more than the AC.
I am here a lot in the winter and would be nice to adjust remotely, to keep from freezing, and to be comfortable when I do arrive.
When I get here and it is 50 degrees inside, it takes a while to get everything warmed up

jbeletti

That sounds a little expensive, but that would benefit me more than the AC.
I am here a lot in the winter and would be nice to adjust remotely, to keep from freezing, and to be comfortable when I do arrive.
When I get here and it is 50 degrees inside, it takes a while to get everything warmed up

Sure thing. Everyone's use case is different. Bear in mind that for you to be able to adjust your Nest thermostat remotely, your RV will need to have "always-on" Internet so the Nest can be connected to it.

Using the transformer, I think it would be pretty easy to use the Nest for furnace-only. Please continue to update your thread here as you progress with your project.